Author Topic: Distracted by Scandal While Amnesty Is Preparing to Pass  (Read 2340 times)

famousdayandyear

Distracted by Scandal While Amnesty Is Preparing to Pass
« on: May 23, 2013, 01:13:56 am »
http://legalinsurrection.com/2013/05/are-we-distracted-by-scandals-while-democrats-walk-away-with-the-immigration-amnesty-prize/

Distracted by Scandal While Amnesty Is Preparing to Pass

Posted by William A. Jacobson    Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 12:17pm

I received an insightful email from reader Karen Sacandy:

Dear Professor Jacobson:

I’m among your many grateful readers, but at this time, the Democrats are like Thomas Crown in the flick, “The Thomas Crown Affair,” who created a distraction over here, while over there, he was stealing a multimillion dollar painting.

But in this case, it’s a total transformation of the American people, by immigration law changes to aid and abet the non-enforcement we’ve had for decades.  All these abuses of power converging at this time are almost COMPLETELY distracting everyone who could bring pressure to bear to prevent the enactment of new law which without question – without question – will alter our demographics and governing philosophy to the point of no return.

I hope you’ll consider going in a new direction.

My response was:

I don’t consider the current fights irrelevant either in themselves or as to immigration. In fact, I think they are quite connected, and it’s possible to fight all at once.

To which she replied:

You may be right. But the bill in the Senate is doing, as they say, famously!

Thanks for the reply. ;^)))

Karen makes a very good point.

Key Republicans have buckled under. The Senate will pass the bill right under our noses.

It is a bad bill. I’ve written against it many times. A group of prominent conservatives recently signed a letter pointing out the deficiencies:

We have a variety of concerns; some of us share only one, others share all. Among these concerns are that the bill:

* Is bloated and unwieldy along the lines of Obamacare or Dodd-Frank;

* Cedes excessive control over immigration law to an administration that has repeatedly proven itself to be untrustworthy, even duplicitous;

* Legalizes millions of illegal immigrants before securing the borders, thus ensuring future illegal immigration;

* Rewards law breakers and punishes law enforcement, undermining the rule of law;

* Hurts American job-seekers, especially those with less education;

* Threatens to bankrupt our already strained entitlement system;

* Expands government by creating new bureaucracies, authorizing new spending, and calling for endless regulations;

* Contains dangerous loopholes that threaten national security;

* Is shot through with earmarks for politically connected interest groups;

* Overwhelms our immigration bureaucracy, guaranteeing widespread fraud.

Reforming our immigration system is an important priority. But S.744 is such a defective measure that it would do more harm than good.

The Gang of 8 bill, if it passes, will go down in history as a mistake as disastrous as Obamacare.  It must be stopped.

Democrats are playing the long game.  Republicans in Congress are acting like scared cats playing a short game for 2014 and 2016.

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Distracted by Scandal While Amnesty Is Preparing to Pass
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 01:15:06 am »
Yep and no one in the media is talking about it at all..
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 01:16:56 am »
reforming the immigration laws is a bigger scandal than the unbridled, corrupt use of government power by the IRS to attack the administration's political enemies?

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 01:19:26 am »
reforming the immigration laws is a bigger scandal than the unbridled, corrupt use of government power by the IRS to attack the administration's political enemies?

In the manner they are doing it and based on what is in it and the fact their palms are all being greased to pass it I'd say it is a big scandal as well.  So we are now codifying a culture of lawlessness throughout our government,
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

famousdayandyear

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 01:35:43 am »

Ocean, take a look at the bill.  In reality it represents Obamacare 2.0 -- even more monstrous.  There are no guarantees therein to secure borders; all statutes within the bill are subject to the discretion of one individual--the DHS secretary.  As written, it will ensure the government is run by ONE party:  the democrats.  It will ensure the ultimate destruction of the Republican party over a relatively short time frame.

The House conservatives are working on a much saner bill.  Taking steps one a time, in an order that makes sense.
The Senate bill lumps everything all together in a complex and unenforceable mass of regulation and cross referencing impossible to decipher.

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 01:36:50 am »
Ocean, take a look at the bill.  In reality it represents Obamacare 2.0 -- even more monstrous.  There are no guarantees therein to secure borders; all statutes within the bill are subject to the discretion of one individual--the DHS secretary.  As written, it will ensure the government is run by ONE party:  the democrats.  It will ensure the ultimate destruction of the Republican party over a relatively short time frame.

The House conservatives are working on a much saner bill.  Taking steps one a time, in an order that makes sense.
The Senate bill lumps everything all together in a complex and unenforceable mass of regulation and cross referencing impossible to decipher.

Then the House should be able to prevent the bill becoming law.  It's still not as dangerous as the corruption and rot at the IRS.

famousdayandyear

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 01:44:42 am »
Then the House should be able to prevent the bill becoming law.  It's still not as dangerous as the corruption and rot at the IRS.

True, if the house defeats the Senate bill.  And that's an IF. 
In the meantime, the Cartel of Eight is ramming this monstrosity through and no one is paying attention.  (The point of the post). 

I agree.  There is rot everywhere.  Name a federal department that is free of it; not the IRS, DOJ, EPA, DEA, ATF, and on and on.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 02:00:46 am »
and there is a cartel of 8 already agreed on it in the house...  this is being funded by very wealthy Republicans and herein lies the problem in this country, it is both parties destroying it, Obama is just the symptom, the disease is much more pervasive.

famousdayandyear

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 02:05:03 am »
and there is a cartel of 8 already agreed on it in the house...  this is being funded by very wealthy Republicans and herein lies the problem in this country, it is both parties destroying it, Obama is just the symptom, the disease is much more pervasive.

Rap, do you have any of the names in the House supporting the Senate version? 

Offline happyg

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 02:14:32 am »
Rap, do you have any of the names in the House supporting the Senate version?

Jim Jordan has been anti amnesty. So has Gohmert  and Reps. Michele Bachmann,  Steve King, and Oceander Rohrabacher. Am not sure about the rest.

famousdayandyear

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 02:24:43 am »
Jim Jordan has been anti amnesty. So has Gohmert  and Reps. Michele Bachmann,  Steve King, and Oceander Rohrabacher. Am not sure about the rest.

Thanks Happy.  Does anybody know who supports the Gang of 8 bill in the House?  I'd like to make calls.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 03:20:03 am »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/29/house-immigration-bill_n_3180612.html

House Immigration Bill Will Be Tougher Than 'Gang Of 8' Plan, GOP Member Says

Posted: 04/29/2013 5:42 pm EDT  |  Updated: 04/29/2013 6:06 pm EDT

Video, John Carter, Rep. Luis Gutierrez, Luis Gutierrez Immigration, Latino Politics, Gang Of Eight, Gang Of Eight Amnesty, House Immigration Bill, House Immigration Group, House Immigration Legislation, Immigration Reform, John Carter Immigration, Path To Citizenship, Pathway To Citizenship, Politics News

WASHINGTON -- Rep. John Carter (R-Texas), a member of the bipartisan House group working on an immigration bill, said Monday that his group's plan will have a tougher path to citizenship than the Senate "gang of eight" legislation -- which he said could be defined as "amnesty."

"It's not as easy as the Senate side, [but] it's not as bad as anybody might think it is," Carter said of the House group's bill at a discussion hosted by the National Immigration Forum and the Texas Tribune, in conjunction with the Greater San Antonio Chamber of Commerce and the San Antonio Hispanic Chamber of Commerce. "It has compassion. It allows people to be human beings, to live a normal life, to have a job, to take care of their family, to pay their taxes, to obey the law and go about their lives."

Carter appeared with another House immigration reform supporter, Rep. Luis Gutierrez, in San Antonio, Texas. They wouldn't get into specifics of their bill -- the House's eight-person group has been tight-lipped about timing and details -- but did say they agree with some of the broad strokes of the "gang of eight" plan.

That bill, which was released earlier this month, would allow undocumented immigrants to gain legal status and a path to citizenship, but only after certain border provisions were met. It would also mandate employer verification and address undocumented young people, two issues that Carter and Gutierrez said their bill will also address.

The House is expected to be a tougher haul than the Senate for passing immigration reform, and last week its immigration leaders announced they would pursue a piecemeal path. Carter and Gutierrez are pushing for comprehensive reform in a single bill, unlike House Judiciary Chairman Bob Goodlatte (R-Va.) and Immigration Subcommittee Chairman Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.).

Immigration matters are supposed to go through the Judiciary Committee, and Carter acknowledged that could pose a problem -- although he said he wants his group's legislation to go through regular order. But, he said, he thinks in the end that the bill could win support from a majority of Republicans and a majority of Democrats, which would mean House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) could remain within the realms of the so-called "Hastert Rule," which informally states that speakers should not pass bills opposed by a majority of the conference.

"I think Speaker Boehner is going to allow this bill to come to the floor, and we hope it will be the majority of the majority, but we don't know," Carter said. "We went into this whole project saying that there's x number of people on both sides of the aisle that aren't going to vote for immigration reform no matter what -- take those out and see what we have left to get this passed. That's probably what's going to happen."

Both congressmen said they're not 100 percent pleased with the agreement, but they're willing to compromise. The other members of the group are Reps. Mario Diaz-Balart (R-Fla.), Xavier Becerra (D-Calif.), Sam Johnson (R-Texas), Raul Labrador (R-Idaho), Zoe Lofgren (D-Calif.) and John Yarmuth (D-Ky.).

"There are going to be things that I accept as part of our bipartisanship that I wouldn't have come up with, that I wouldn't have suggested," Gutierrez said.

Carter said the "gang of eight" bill seems less likely to convince Republicans who are skeptical of reform and view a path to citizenship as amnesty.

"I would argue they haven't touched all of the bases they should touch, but they're definitely going in the right direction," he said. "They're going to have a hard time getting past the fairly sizable group of people in this country who are saying, 'You're giving them something for breaking our laws in this country without any consequences.' There's an awful lot of people that -- they're not against the immigrants, they're against the law-breaking."

Asked whether that means he views the bill as amnesty, he gave a partial yes.

"I'm sure they would argue it doesn't, but yeah, I think in the definition that's out there in the general public, that awarding citizenship without really any consequences is amnesty," Carter said. "Now, there's various views of that, and others disagree. What's wrong with the word 'amnesty' is there's an awful lot of disagreement on what it means."

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 03:21:50 am »
Asked whether that means he views the bill as amnesty, he gave a partial yes.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 03:45:06 am »
Did you watch Boehner tonight on Greta???

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 03:52:23 am »
Famous you may want to read this from Byrom York... I just posted

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,102891.new.html#new

famousdayandyear

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2013, 04:02:46 am »
Thanks, Rap.  My congressman is conservative, and an experienced federal prosecutor of immigration cases.  He is working on a common sense bill, starting with securing the borders.  I am not yet aware the legislation he is co-sponsoring is yet finished.  Appreciate the info you posted!