Author Topic: Issa Lets Lerner Get Away  (Read 3670 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Issa Lets Lerner Get Away
« on: May 22, 2013, 03:19:36 pm »
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/05/22/Issa-Lets-Lerner-Get-Away

by Joel B. Pollak 22 May 2013, 7:39 AM PDT

IRS Exempt Organizations director Lois Lerner arguable waived her Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination when she read a prepared written statement under oath before the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform on Wednesday, telling Congress, "I have done nothing wrong."

Committee chair Rep. Darrell Issa (R-CA) excused Lerner and her attorney over the objections of Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-DC), a former prosecutor, as well as Rep. Jim Jordan (R-OH), a fellow attorney. Rep. Gowdy noted that Ranking Member Rep. Elijah Cummings (D-MD) had said he wished to run the hearing as a courtroom. Members of the public in the hearing room broke into applause.

Rep. Cummings countered that while the proceeding should emulate a courtroom, it was not a courtroom.

Issa explained his decision to allow Lerner to leave by noting the committee's respect for the rights of the witness and his intention of calling several additional witnesses who would be able to shed light on the IRS's behavior.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline happyg

Re: Issa Lets Lerner Get Away
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 03:48:41 pm »
Gowdy's and the spectator's response (clapping) might bring her back. Issa needs a swift kick in the behind for that move.

Offline Relic

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 03:54:35 pm »
Gowdy's and the spectator's response (clapping) might bring her back. Issa needs a swift kick in the behind for that move.

I'm not sure what to make of Issa, but I don't trust him.

Offline happyg

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 03:57:27 pm »

I don't have faith in him, either. I don't like all the grandstanding, and wish they would just ask questions and move on.  While all these scandals are dragging out, there are more scandals popping up that people miss.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 03:57:35 pm »
The 5th Amendment only protects you from incriminating yourself. They should have kept her up there and asked about every single operational procedure of the IRS. Treat her as an expert witness and hope she trips up.

Offline happyg

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 03:59:36 pm »
The 5th Amendment only protects you from incriminating yourself. They should have kept her up there and asked about every single operational procedure of the IRS. Treat her as an expert witness and hope she trips up.

Of course, you are right. He better bring her back, asap, and let her look like the fool she is. Our country is at stake. To hell with their personal jobs. We are their jobs.

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 04:00:16 pm »
I have done nothing wrong but I wish to take the fifth...OOOOKK

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 04:04:18 pm »
Issa reserved the right to recall her to testify (I've been told).  It is okay to let this percolate now.  It is not over for Ms. Lerner.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 04:08:29 pm »

I believe that if she answers any questions she must answer them all.  Rep. Gowdy contends that since she made a prepared statement, she waived her 5th Amendment rights and can be compelled to answer questions.  This is not over for Ms. Lerner.

Excellent Point of Order by Rep. Gowdy.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 04:19:01 pm by Lando Lincoln »
John Steinbeck

Offline happyg

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 04:10:33 pm »
Issa reserved the right to recall her to testify (I've been told).  It is okay to let this percolate now.  It is not over for Ms. Lerner.

You are correct. Issa did say that. However, Gowdy wanted her to stay. So do I.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 04:10:49 pm »

Her status as an employee of the American people is also relevant to this discussion! EVERYTHING see did in her professional capacity at IRS is the property of the American people already!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 04:17:27 pm »

VIDEO: What's So Dangerous About the Truth?

Congressman Trey Gowdy Furiously Objects to IRS' Lerner Taking the Fifth: 'That's Not How It Works!'
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 04:25:17 pm »
Issa explained his decision to allow Lerner to leave by noting the committee's respect for the rights of the witness and his intention of calling several additional witnesses who would be able to shed light on the IRS's behavior.

The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party.

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 04:25:29 pm »

This is a congressional hearing, not a circus.  Issa could have wasted the committee's time by forcing Lerner to stay and be subjected to questions which she would not answer.  But, he let her go, subject to recall if he receives legal judgment that she has waived her right to invoke the 5th (in which case he can hold her in contempt).  But everybody knows what Lerner's invoking of the 5th means; it means she's guilty of a crime and does not want to admit it in this venue.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 04:26:30 pm »
The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party.

The Republicans are doing just fine.  Those here who want people hanging by their thumbs aren't thinking clearly.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 04:34:19 pm »
I agree sink.  This is now a function of time and temperature.  Proceed deliberately. 
John Steinbeck

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 04:51:17 pm »
How amusing. I went to Issa's Congressional website to complain about this and after filling out the appropriate form got a message, based on my zip code, they wouldn't accept the message because I am not in his district. I was instructed to contact my own representative. So I changed the zip to the one for his CA office and off we go.

Anyone else interested in giving Issa a piece of your mind? Use zip 92081.

http://issa.house.gov/contact/contact-me

We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2013, 05:07:56 pm »
The Republicans are doing just fine.  Those here who want people hanging by their thumbs aren't thinking clearly.

I have to agree with you on this one.

Few people have been as critical as I have been of the GOP leadership during the past couple of years. But when your enemy is destroying themselves, the best thing you can do is get out of the way.

Lerner's action speaks for itself, and there's no value in making a show of it, especially when the public has little love for or trust in Republicans.

Darrell Issa was smart to reserve the right to recall the witness, should it be determined that she had no right to claim 5th Amendment rights after having effectively testified. I suspect that may be a valid legal point, and that she will in fact be recalled.   
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2013, 05:16:48 pm »
And I disagree. Ask Lerner a few questions, maybe half a dozen or so. Let her claim the 5th each time, THEN declare the witness uncooperative or recalcitrant, excuse her with notice of probable recall.

Video of a government employee claiming 5th amendment protection when being asked questions about what happened under her watch at the IRS would have far more dramatic impact than merely telling her "ok, maybe see ya later, have a nice day".   
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2013, 05:17:16 pm »
Lerner's action speaks for itself, and there's no value in making a show of it, especially when the public has little love for or trust in Republicans.

Question that wasn't allowed to be asked,

"How can you assert your Constitutional rights when you have violated the Constitutional rights of other U.S. citizens?"

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2013, 05:31:46 pm »
And I disagree. Ask Lerner a few questions, maybe half a dozen or so. Let her claim the 5th each time, THEN declare the witness uncooperative or recalcitrant, excuse her with notice of probable recall.

Video of a government employee claiming 5th amendment protection when being asked questions about what happened under her watch at the IRS would have far more dramatic impact than merely telling her "ok, maybe see ya later, have a nice day".

In normal times, you'd be absolutely right.

But these are highly abnormal times. The public is poorly informed, and confused by years of news media abuse and public mis-education. Many of them despise Republicans, even those who agree with them on a considerable number of issues.

Further, the mainstream media could not be counted on to broadcast Lerner's serial 5th Amendment-taking; instead, they'd manage to make it appear as though the Big Bad Republican was beating up on a woman.

I still think she will be recalled, but this time with a legal determination that compels her testimony. Others will come forward, too. At this moment, with scandals swirling all over this Administration, a bit of patience is a virtue.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2013, 05:36:22 pm »
Wow. Anybody watch Trey Gowdy tear into Schulman just now?  :silly:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2013, 05:42:09 pm »
Wow. Anybody watch Trey Gowdy tear into Schulman just now?  :silly:

Yes indeed! We need a few more just like him if you ask me!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2013, 05:45:00 pm »

Got Arizona Gun Runner, which was going to bring down Holder and Obama?

Issa is all Sound and NO Fury. No results.

It is theater and Issa is a predictable actor.

I think these performances are aimed at not disrupting the status quo, while appearing to "investigate.".
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2013, 07:14:50 pm »
Ladies and Gentlemen....the President of the United States!

{{{applause}}}

sound of camera motor drives and shutters.....

"My fellow Americans...I've asked for this time to speak to you because I'm outraged that the opposition is playing politics while I'm trying to heal this great nation.

I swore 5 days before my first election victory that we were going to FUNDAMENTALLY TRANSFORM THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

I'm keeping my promise to the people who voted for me.

You want the TRUTH?? 

I as Commander-in-Chief ordered the investigations into Associated Press on the real threat to National Security.  IMO, we had a leaker and I was going to catch him or her.

As far as FOX's James Rosen?   YOU'RE DAMNED RIGHT I ORDERED THE CODE RED!    er, excuse me........."

It's my opinion that FOXNEWS is not a legitimate news organization.  That's why I've bugged and tapped all their executive phones and emails and now know what they eat for dinner.

I swore to protect Americans from all enemies....foreign AND DOMESTIC.  And I'm doing exactly that.

Now if you excuse me, I've got to get back to governing and healing the country."

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My new pet name for POTUS is 'Colonel Jessup' Obama.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald