Author Topic: Darrell Issa: Lois Lerner lost her rights  (Read 1564 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Darrell Issa: Lois Lerner lost her rights
« on: May 22, 2013, 07:37:17 pm »
http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uuid=FA2C83E1-B64F-48FC-85A0-808CC71CB24F

Darrell Issa: Lois Lerner lost her rights
By: Rachael Bade
May 22, 2013 03:15 PM EDT

House Oversight and Government Reform Committee Chairman Darrell Issa said embattled IRS official Lois Lerner waived her Fifth Amendment rights and will be hauled back to appear before his panel again.

The California Republican said Lerner’s Fifth Amendment right to avoid self-incrimination was voided when she gave an opening statement this morning denying any wrongdoing and professing pride in her government service.

“When I asked her her questions from the very beginning, I did so so she could assert her rights prior to any statement,” Issa told POLITICO. “She chose not to do so — so she waived.”

Lerner triggered the IRS scandal on May 10 when she acknowledged that the agency wrongly targeted conservative groups applying for a tax exemption. Her lawyer told the House committee earlier this week that she would exercise her Fifth Amendment.

She appeared before Issa’s committee this morning under the order of a subpoena and surprised many by reading a strong statement to the panel.

“I have not done anything wrong,” she said. “I have not broken any laws. I have not violated any IRS rules or regulations, and I have not provided false information to this or any other committee.”

Issa dismissed her from the committee room once it became clear she wouldn’t answer questions.

Lerner’s decision to speak at all immediately triggered a dust-up among lawmakers who were confused about whether she gave up her Fifth Amendment protections when she made an opening statement.

Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.), a former federal prosecutor, said Lerner lost her rights the minute she started proclaiming her innocence, and that lawmakers therefore were entitled to question her. But Ranking Democrat Elijah Cummings of Maryland said hearing rules were not like those of a courtroom.

During the incident, Issa did not flat-out say whether or not Lerner had indeed waived her rights but instead tried to coax her into staying by offering to narrow the scope of questions.

By the afternoon, Issa was taking a harder stand.

“The precedents are clear that this is not something you can turn on and turn off,” he told POLITICO. “She made testimony after she was sworn in, asserted her innocence in a number of areas, even answered questions asserting that a document was true … So she gave partial testimony and then tried to revoke that.”

He said he was not expecting that.

“I understand from her counsel that there was a plan to assert her Fifth Amendment rights,” he continued. “She went ahead and made a statement, so counsel let her effectively under the precedent, waive — so we now have someone who no longer has that ability.”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Lando Lincoln

Re: Darrell Issa: Lois Lerner lost her rights
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 07:43:38 pm »
As I said, this is not over for Ms. Lerner.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 07:55:34 pm »
As I said, this is not over for Ms. Lerner.

I'm also glad to have been right about this. I knew he wasn't going to let her walk away that easily. Issa let her walk into a trap, and instead of trying to make a show of it, he made sure that the trap had been properly sprung.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 07:57:15 pm »
I'm also glad to have been right about this. I knew he wasn't going to let her walk away that easily. Issa let her walk into a trap, and instead of trying to make a show of it, he made sure that the trap had been properly sprung.
Exactly.
John Steinbeck

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 08:03:38 pm »
Not necessarily.

Issa was not up to date on the argument pro or con....thus they huddled later to debate exactly how Lerner should have been handled.

IOW...not so sure Darrell Issa 'set any trap'.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 08:06:51 pm »
It doesn't matter - she stepped in it.
John Steinbeck

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 08:08:38 pm »
It doesn't matter - she stepped in it.

Yes sir....it worked out splendidly!

That said, we can expect the MSM to cry foul on her behalf....to trap her on procedural grounds, etc..
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 08:08:49 pm »
Trap, maybe, but just as likely Issa got slammed hard by commentators and constituent complaints.

By the afternoon, Issa was taking a harder stand.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 08:22:51 pm »
Trey was right and Issa should have recessed to discuss it and then re-convened rather than let her go.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 08:25:09 pm »
Trey was right and Issa should have recessed to discuss it and then re-convened rather than let her go.

That's my take also.

But like Lando said...it looks like it may work out in at least getting her back to the table.