Author Topic: Pregnant women should up iodine intake to increase child’s IQ  (Read 1396 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Via the Telegraph: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/10072366/Pregnant-women-should-up-iodine-intake-to-increase-childs-IQ.html

A study of more than 1,000 pregnant women found those who consumed lower amounts of iodine, which is absorbed from food and found in milk, dairy products and fish, were more likely to have children with lower IQs and reading abilities.

Iodine is essential for producing hormones made by the thyroid gland, which has a direct effect on the development of the foetal brain.

The study by researchers at Bristol and Surrey universities found two thirds of the 1,040 pregnant women they tested were iodine deficient. These women were more likely to have children with lower IQs, and it was found the lower the iodine the lower the IQ and reading ability.

Professor Margaret Rayman of the University of Surrey, who led the study, said: "Our results clearly show the importance of adequate iodine status during early pregnancy, and emphasise the risk that iodine deficiency can pose to the developing infant, even in a country classified as only mildly iodine deficient."

Researchers have said pregnant women should ensure they get enough iodine by eating dairy products and fish, as well as drinking milk. But they warned against kelp supplements, as they can have ‘excessive levels’ of iodine.

More at link.

I do tend to take these magical studies with a pinch of (Iodized) salt, but it is an interesting read and, being in the Lancet is peer reviewed. It has some anecdotal back up - the cultures who are broadly perceived as "more intelligent" do tend to be the ones who include seaweed in their diet - a rich source of iodine.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Pregnant women should up iodine intake to increase child’s IQ
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 07:51:14 pm »
There is a study out a week or so ago stating the government low standards for sodium are causing all sorts of health problems... sometimes it is just best to let the body tell a person what it needs and leave the government out of it.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 08:18:31 pm »
...sometimes it is just best to let the body tell a person what it needs and leave the government out of it.

Sounds good to me. My body is telling me it needs chocolate, lots and lots of chocolate.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 08:37:03 pm by Cincinnatus »
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 08:29:11 pm »
Hmmmmm....when I was a little boy, I swear that the iodine bottle had a skull and crossbones on the label.        :whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 11:48:14 pm »
Hmmmmm....when I was a little boy, I swear that the iodine bottle had a skull and crossbones on the label.        :whistle:

different kinds of iodine (technically, different compounds).