Author Topic: SOCOM Seeks TALOS (Tactical Assault Light Operator Suit)  (Read 2974 times)

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
SOCOM Seeks TALOS (Tactical Assault Light Operator Suit)
« on: May 21, 2013, 10:38:51 pm »
http://www.defensemedianetwork.com/stories/socom-seeks-talos-tactical-assault-light-operator-suit/?goback=%2Egde_100364_member_242396603

Few Requests for Information (RFIs) are accompanied by the U.S. Special Operations Command (SOCOM) Senior Enlisted Advisor, Command Sgt. Maj. Chris Faris, almost simultaneously saying, “there is no one industry that can build that.” But that was the case for the RFI solicitation for the Tactical Assault Light Operator Suit (TALOS), released on May 15. SOCOM is seeking technology demonstration submissions from research and development (R&D) organizations, private industry, individuals, government labs, and academia for inclusion in SOCOM experimentation events. According to the RFI, SOCOM sees these experimentation events as part of an effort “to accelerate the delivery of innovative capabilities to the SOF warfighter.”

The importance of industry/government collaboration for TALOS was emphasized by Faris at the Special Operations Forces Industry Conference (SOFIC) SOCOM Senior Enlisted Advisors Panel, where he laid out that TALOS, “might mean that you have to lay out intellectual property on the table next to a competitor.” If industry balks at that proposition, Faris has a message for them: “we’ve got to get over that, because if you can develop the articulated armor, the heads-up display for this, but you can’t develop the power, than how are we going to come up with something truly revolutionary?” The RFI itself is aimed at making industry work together since, “any and all TALOS solutions must include all necessary software and hardware to accomplish the mission.”

The SOCOM demonstrations will take place from July 8-10, 2013 at or near MacDill Air Force Base, Tampa, Fla., with two goals in mind. The first goal is the identification of technologies that could be integrated into an initial capability within a year. A secondary goal is to see if the fielding of objective capabilities within three years is a feasible objective. That may seem like a relatively fast timeline, but Faris sees it as part of a larger investment. “If we are going to invest in revolutionary things, we cannot afford this incremental evolutionary thing,” he said.

The RFI, which is available at the Federal Business Opportunities website, suggests that TALOS submissions, “take into consideration ‘lightening the load’ of the operator, mentally and/or physically.” Besides that suggestion, the RFI also includes nine mobility/protective technologies that may be included:

Advanced Armor: Materials to support next generation full-body ballistic protection

Mobility/Agility: Enhancement platforms such as powered exoskeletons

Situational Awareness (SA)

Light/noise discipline

Command, Control, Communications & Computers (C4): Such as conformable & wearable antennae and wearable computers

Individual soldier combat ready displays: Including non-visual means of information display, and potentially utilization of cognitive thoughts and the surrounding environment to display personalized information

Power generation and management

Thermal management of suit occupant

Medical: Embedded monitoring, oxygen systems, wound stasis, electromechanical compensation

Faris was not trying to scare off companies from responding to the TALOS RFI, but rather acknowledging new budget realities. Using the “S word” to make his point, Faris said, “as we look at possible sequestration and things like that and we go to … extend life-cycles of existing things we have today, you guys are going to have to come up with more innovative ways.” He finished his remarks about TALOS by urging attendees “to work together as industry to be the revolutionary partner that we need as we move forward in the future.”

I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.

Offline Ford289HiPo

Re: SOCOM Seeks TALOS (Tactical Assault Light Operator Suit)
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 10:42:18 pm »
Yep, the young SFC looks cool with that suit, but it's really nothing new:

LandWarrior concept. A lot of this equipment was just set aside by troops in the field. It's either useless, or just extra "stuff" that the troops have to carry.

Also, if you look at the guys crotch in the picture in the initial post, it's completely unprotected. It's just as vulnerable as the neck area.
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 02:43:03 am »
I like the black tubing coming out of the guy's right-hand side.  As if that isn't going to get in the way precisely when things get tough.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 03:08:42 am »
Also, if you look at the guys crotch in the picture in the initial post...

Darn it, Ford289HiPo, I am not sure why, but that is not a one of the major areas I focused on.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Ford289HiPo

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 03:41:56 am »
I like the black tubing coming out of the guy's right-hand side.  As if that isn't going to get in the way precisely when things get tough.

I had totally missed that! You are so correct though!

Offline Ford289HiPo

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 03:45:02 am »
Also, if you look at the guys crotch in the picture in the initial post...

Darn it, Ford289HiPo, I am not sure why, but that is not a one of the major areas I focused on.

:whistle:

It is an extremely vulnerable area though, with the femoral artery and vein running through it. Remember the segment on "Blackhawk Down" where the trooper died because his artery was severed and the medic couldn't staunch the flow.