Author Topic: Former Lawyer Says OJ Simpson Knew About Guns  (Read 857 times)

Offline Rapunzel

Former Lawyer Says OJ Simpson Knew About Guns
« on: May 17, 2013, 11:05:30 pm »
http://www.8newsnow.com/story/22282437/former-lawyer-says-oj-simpson-knew-about-guns

Former Lawyer Says OJ Simpson Knew About Guns
Posted: May 17, 2013 9:59 AM Updated: May 17, 2013 3:21 PM

LAS VEGAS  -- The lawyer who unsuccessfully defended O.J. Simpson against armed robbery charges in Las Vegas says his client knew two companions had guns in a 2007 confrontation with memorabilia dealers.

Simpson's former attorney Yale Galanter has been under attack all week. He took the witness stand Friday and fired back.

Simpson is seeking a new trial on grounds of ineffective legal representation. Simpson's current attorneys spent the day tearing apart the way Galanter defended Simpson at his 2008 trial that resulted in Simpson's conviction.

Miami attorney Galanter has been contradicting much of what Simpson testified to earlier this week.

On a key point, Galanter says he decided not to claim Simpson didn't see guns during the incident because Simpson confided to him that he'd asked companions to bring guns.

"Based on my conversations with Mr. Simpson on the day after the event, he had told me that he did in fact ask Alexander and McClinton to bring guns. He knew he had screwed up, he knew there were guns in the room," Galanter testified.

He said he felt a fondness for the former football great and he wanted nothing more than to win the case for Simpson.

"It is my testimony that the cross examination of the witnesses at the preliminary hearing was stellar. It is also my testimony that our defense of Mr. Simpson was stellar," Galanter.

Simpson claims Galanter did not discuss plea deals or negotiations offered by the prosecution. Galanter contends he did discuss the deals with Simpson and they were rejected because Simpson was not willing to do more than one year behind bars.

The 65-year-old Simpson is currently serving a sentence of nine to 33 years in prison.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Former Lawyer Says OJ Simpson Knew About Guns
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 11:06:30 pm »
OJ must have thought that just like Robert Kardashian Galanter would fall on his sword for him, today Galanter single-handedly handed OJ's ass to him....
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 12:45:25 pm »
Give me a break. It's all because he's black, dontcha know.
O.J. Simpson reveals prison struggles, plans for making money after his release
By PHILIP RECCHIA
Last Updated: 7:50 AM, May 19, 2013
EXCLUSIVE

After 4 1/2 years behind bars, battling weight gain and depression, O.J. Simpson is hopeful freedom is just around the corner.

In a series of exclusive jailhouse conversations, including a 30-minute video chat last week, an upbeat Juice told a Post source he was cautiously optimistic and ready to start a new life on the outside.  In a move sure to infuriate the families of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman, whom Simpson was acquitted of killing after a spectacular trial, that new life will include a planned college speaking tour to earn money.
The tour will address both the murder case and the 2008 conviction for kidnapping and armed robbery of a sports-memorabilia dealer, a decision Simpson blames on racism.

I feel like I’m back in the ’50s — a black man in a white justice system,” he said of the Nevada jury. “I looked into their eyes and I knew they would convict me.”

Last week, the NFL Hall-of-Famer and onetime actor held up his shackles during a video phone call from the Clark County Detention Center in Las Vegas. “I don’t like this vibe. I feel like I’m back on ‘Roots’!” he told The Post source.

As early as tomorrow, Judge Linda Marie Bell could overturn Simpson’s conviction for attacking a memorabilia dealer and order a retrial, or even set him free with credit for time already served.

“I like Judge Bell. She’s not trying to be a movie star,” Simpson said, in a dig at Judge Jackie Glass, who sentenced him to up to 33 years in prison after his 2008 trial and then went on to host the syndicated TV show “Swift Justice.”

“She [Bell] is straightforward business, so I feel I’ll get a fair shake.”

Life behind bars

Friends say that since being tossed into Lovelock Correctional Center near Reno, Simpson, now 65, has turned to anger management, religious texts, fantasy football and two “odd couple” cellmates to deal with despair, racial tensions and tabloid rumors. He fumed at the storm surrounding the memoir, “If I Did It: Confessions of a Killer,” which sparked a huge uproar in 2006, prompting publisher Regan Books to ax the project before publication.

“I didn’t write that damn book. I was just paid not to dispute it,” Simpson told The Post source.

During the first two months of his incarceration, inmate No. 1027820 was segregated from other prisoners as a safety precaution.

“That period really depressed O.J.,” attorney Craig Brand, who visited Lovelock on several occasions — and will represent Simpson going forward — told The Post.

“He was shell-shocked and went through all the classic grieving stages.”  ...
Read the rest at New York Post

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 10:09:21 pm »
What a piece of crap he is.