Author Topic: There ain't no place like Texas  (Read 1591 times)

Offline Cincinnatus

There ain't no place like Texas
« on: May 11, 2013, 07:01:39 pm »
One of my children sent me this photo on Facebook. It's a house in Canyon Lake, TX, a community in the hill country, about 40 miles north of San Antonio.

We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Re: There ain't no place like Texas
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 08:31:16 pm »
I have a winter cabin in Canyon Lake.  My wife and I spend about 7 weeks a year there and it will be our winter home when we retire.  I don't think I've seen this place, but then I wouldn't recognize it from the ground.

Here's a shot of our cabin.  Note the flag painted on the roof.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 09:00:50 pm »
Note the flag painted on the roof

Awesome, Massadvj, just awesome.

People who have never lived in Texas just cannot imagine the pride Texans take in their state. Texans focus far more on their own unique heritage than they do on the United States as a whole. I wasn't born there, but as they say, I got there as fast as I could and I am proud to say that all of my children (9) are native Texans.

I may not live there just now but hope to return asap.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 02:48:30 am »

People who have never lived in Texas just cannot imagine the pride Texans take in their state. Texans focus far more on their own unique heritage than they do on the United States as a whole. I wasn't born there, but as they say, I got there as fast as I could and I am proud to say that all of my children (9) are native Texans.

My wife was born and raised in Fort Worth.  We met when we were both graduate students at the University of North Texas.  When we moved to Pennsylvania to work up here, as we were crossing the Oklahoma border tugging that u-Haul behind us, my wife started crying.  She made me promise not to let her die anywhere but Texas soil.  So as soon as we could afford it, we bought the cabin in Canyon Lake, and it is the only place we really consider ourselves at home.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 02:53:50 am »

I am fortunate that my career took me to many places on this globe but in all of that I found no place more appealing than my native East Texas! Here I am and here I shall remain for the rest of my days on earth!

God Bless Texas!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 02:54:27 am by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline TheMom

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 04:29:43 pm »
I am fortunate that my career took me to many places on this globe but in all of that I found no place more appealing than my native East Texas! Here I am and here I shall remain for the rest of my days on earth!

God Bless Texas!

Ditto, with the exception of adding South East Texas.
I'm fluent in three languages: English, Sarcasm, and Profanity.