Author Topic: Cleveland-area woman finds ghostly couple in cellphone photo  (Read 8764 times)

Offline mrclose

A Cleveland-area woman who found a couple of ghostly figures in a photo taken with her cell phone said she's not freaked out about it.

"To me, it was awesome," said Marcella Davis. "It's not scary to me."

David took the photo about 4 p.m. April 15 at Cleveland High School, where she was trying to get a shot of her nephew, who attends the school.

"He spun around so I couldn't take his picture, so I got the back of his head," she said. "I didn't try to take no more because he didn't let me."

Davis, the mother of two teenagers, said she doesn't understand much about the smart phone she used to take the photos, so that evening, her daughter was showing her how she could zoom in and out.

As her daughter zoomed in on the photo of her nephew, she could see more detail.

"She goes, 'Mom, look at this.' I was like, 'What?' and she showed me the picture of the ghost," Davis said. "You could see straight through it."

A man in a light-colored suit with bell-bottom pants and a dark shirt is standing near the chain-link fence, and a woman, who is less distinct, can be seen behind him.

Because of the man's clothing and hair style, he appears to be from the 1970s, Davis said.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Cleveland-area-woman-finds-ghostly-couple-in-4441538.php#photo-4484438
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Cleveland-area woman finds ghostly couple in cellphone photo
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 06:11:07 am »
Not so unsual actually..... I captured pictures of some old slaves and an angel in a picture I took in 1978 in Jamaica on the Rosehall plantation, and when we sprinkled my husbands ashes at Lake Powell I took pictures from the top of the houseboat of a friend who went and months later when I finally downloaded the pictures there in the picture was my husband -- I knew he was along for one last trip that week, but I was still surprised when I saw him in the photo.... 

There has been a lot of cases of people taking pictures in cemeteries and getting spirits in their pictures, sometime just an orb and sometimes a partial body and sometimes a full body like this picture you posted...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 06:12:24 am by Rapunzel »
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 12:53:34 pm »
A man in a light-colored suit with bell-bottom pants and a dark shirt is standing near the chain-link fence, and a woman, who is less distinct, can be seen behind him.  Because of the man's clothing and hair style, he appears to be from the 1970s, Davis said.
Stayin' alive, stayin' alive.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 01:15:06 pm »
THAT IS SO COOL!   Thank you, Mr Close, for finding and posting this.   I wonder who that guy was?  A teacher at that school? 

I can vouch for Rappy's ghost pics--I've seen them.   The plantation one is fantastic.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 01:29:43 pm »
Uh.....there's plexi-glass secured on the cyclone fence.

The "ghost" is standing watching out of camera range.

Geesh!

....or, maybe not!   LOL!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 01:30:24 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline mrclose

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 08:29:50 pm »

Geesh!

Wearing a vintage 40's or 50's suit?
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 09:06:16 pm »

Geesh!

Someone needs to call "Fact or Faked"

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 09:32:04 pm »
As an avid photographer back in my heyday, digital was just a gleam in a dreamer's eye.  We used Kodak film.  LOL!

I took my girlfriend out to an old rural church cemetary....at night with only the moon as lighting.

Using a tripod setup....I placed her standing at the headstone.  She was dressed in a white linen gown.

I clicked and held the shutter open with a cable and after about 2 seconds covered the lens with black cardboard....told her to walk out of the frame and then uncovered the lens again....and held the shutter open for yet another 15 seconds.

She appeared in the picture as a 'ghost'.

Now, I don't know if the camera used here has a shutter that you can hold open by holding down the button....but that would 'splain the 'ghost'.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 12:03:34 am »
As an avid photographer back in my heyday, digital was just a gleam in a dreamer's eye.  We used Kodak film.  LOL!

I took my girlfriend out to an old rural church cemetary....at night with only the moon as lighting.

Using a tripod setup....I placed her standing at the headstone.  She was dressed in a white linen gown.

I clicked and held the shutter open with a cable and after about 2 seconds covered the lens with black cardboard....told her to walk out of the frame and then uncovered the lens again....and held the shutter open for yet another 15 seconds.

She appeared in the picture as a 'ghost'.

Now, I don't know if the camera used here has a shutter that you can hold open by holding down the button....but that would 'splain the 'ghost'.

Neither of my photographs are or were manipulated and both were unplanned and a total shock when I saw them.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 12:44:12 am »
Exactly.  This kind of thing happens a lot.

Of course, this Davis woman could have been lying through her teeth and done what DC describes.  There's A LOT of secondary gain to be had, finagling some ethereal 70's guy into the background of a photo of her nephew. 

/sarcasm

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 04:06:13 am »
As a photographer, I can say it is not as hard as one might think to fake/manipulate a photo to show something strange.  Photoshop or other such software, including several free ones, can allow one to fake something with only a little bit of skill if one doesn't know how to do it with the camera itself.

In all my years of aviation photography, I've created a few "ghostly" images, mostly because I was testing different settings/lighting combinations.  My favorite was a plane that appeared to be somewhat transparent.  Never did figure out what caused it, but I was testing full manual mode with very odd aperture, shutter, and ISO settings.  I'm pretty sure the clouds which appeared "behind" the aircraft were actually some kind of reflection the lens was picking up.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 01:24:06 pm »
Not so unsual actually..... I captured pictures of some old slaves and an angel in a picture I took in 1978 in Jamaica on the Rosehall plantation, and when we sprinkled my husbands ashes at Lake Powell I took pictures from the top of the houseboat of a friend who went and months later when I finally downloaded the pictures there in the picture was my husband -- I knew he was along for one last trip that week, but I was still surprised when I saw him in the photo.... 

There has been a lot of cases of people taking pictures in cemeteries and getting spirits in their pictures, sometime just an orb and sometimes a partial body and sometimes a full body like this picture you posted...

That's a pretty cool story. I myself try to maintain a healthy skepticism. I've been a photographer for over 40 years, and have seen a great number of purported "ghost" pictures over the years. Some turned out to be outright frauds, while a significant number of others might well be explained by light anomalies (both reflection and refraction), multiple exposures, etc.

But there are also a fair number that do not yield to logical explanation. I have taken a couple of these myself. As an example, I was out photographing autumn leaves very early one October morning and came upon an old barn in a state of disrepair. The building, as lit by the rising sun and framed by the autumn leaves made for some nicely composed shots, so I began to take pictures of the barn, including its glassless windows. At the time, I recalled the distinct feeling of being watched, even though there was no one around or awake in that remote spot at 6:30am on Sunday morning.

I returned home, had breakfast, and then uploaded the pictures to my computer. In one of the barn photos, I thought I saw something in one of the windows, so I zoomed in and increased the gamma value... only to see a ghostly image of a woman's face peering out through one of the windows on the upper floor of the barn.  It definitely spooked me.

Now here's the kicker: I went back the next week to take a look around and see what, if anything, might have caused the image to appear. I poked around the barn and was able to get a good look inside through a partially-open doorway. And that's when I saw something that sent a chill down my spine: the old barn not only had no glass in its windows: the floor that would have rested beneath the upstairs window... was gone.

True story.

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 01:32:52 pm »
Okay, that's two credible people within our small online community who have had this kind of experience. 

Just sayin'

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 01:39:34 pm »
Okay, that's two credible people within our small online community who have had this kind of experience. 

Just sayin'

I'll retrieve the photo when I get home and post it here. Again, it's impossible to say for sure what it might be, but such (odd) things do occur.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 02:40:46 pm »
IIRC, Rapunzel's old plantation photo has someone looking out the upstairs window too.

That's in addition to the the ghostly images of 2 female house slaves standing out in front of the house, with the angel behind them. 

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2013, 02:56:16 pm »
I would really love to see that picture.

The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2013, 10:21:47 pm »

Here it is. Taken as we were riding horseback on the Rosehall Plantationin Jamaica.  Look it up. What I did not know (at the time) is this plantation is famous for being haunted.  I have a friend who went there a few years later on a business trip. The company awarded top salespeople each year with a get-away week and wine and dine, etc... she and her boss were in charge of the gathering and they went to the plantation to see about using it's facilities for a party they would give one night.  A woman dressed all in white met them at the door, gave them a complete tour -- upstairs, downstairs, etc... they thanked her and said they had a few other places to check and would return the next day to sign a contract if this was the place they wanted to use.

The next day they returned and this time a man answered the door.  They said we were here yesterday for the tour and want to sign a contract today. The man who answered the door was very puzzled and said that he is the only person giving tours and he was not there yesterday.  They related to him they had toured the entire home upstairs, downstairs.  He said that was impossible as NO ONE is ever allowed upstairs, it is blocked to the public.  They said well she took us up there... SHE??? yes a woman dressed in a flowing white dress.  At this point the man said...... oh..... you were given a tour by our resident ghost. People see her all the time around here. Well my friend who is actually pretty psychic was amused by all this. Her boss...... well he turned white as the proverbial ghost and could not get out of there fast enough.....  to this day she laughs about their experience there.

Anyway, when George and I were in Jamaica over Christmas 1978 we went there for a horseback ride and I took a LOT of pictures.....  this picture was in the middle of the roll so it is not an issue that you can have with film being improperly exposed as the pics on either side are 1000% normal pictures.  If you look here you will see the only part of the picture that is strange is anything around the old crumbling building... the trees actually change to totally normal outside the edges of the building.  I did not even notice the angel in the picture until a few years ago when I scanned the picture to save it in my computer - but if you look on the right side a little black girl in white dress and a black woman with a thing wrapped around her head a black man next to her and to your right of them in the photo there is an angel .. I also make out people hanging out the windows as Lipstick noted.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 10:23:09 pm by Rapunzel »

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2013, 01:09:11 am »

Here's mine:

Left half of the original, showing windows. Note dark window at right.

Detail, gamma value +1.4 enhanced.

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2013, 01:56:01 am »
That is definitely a face and a body that I make out.  Cool pic, Andy!

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2013, 02:26:47 am »
Yep.  I see him... where was it taken?  Cool picture.

One thing on the East Coast I think you probably get a lot more than we do out here with all the newer building -- ya'll have 200 + year-old houses. 

Remember the program that used to be on CBS - Medium?  I read one of her books  and one of her stories was she and her husband went to an old bar up in the White Mountains of Arizona -- back to the 1800's old......  the owner told her there was some strange stuff in the basement and a lot of people were afraid to go down there... she went down to check it out and it was inhabited by some old card-playing ghosts.  One way to know they are present is normally the temp will get really cold....

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2013, 02:35:14 am »
My husband and I are antique dealers, we own an antique mall which is located in a large turn of the century building in a historic district of town.  We've been there 13 years and I've had some strange experiences there.  The other day, a woman from a local paranormal investigation group came by the shop.  She said they are working on a walking tour of haunted places and was asking me if anything unusual had happened in the building.  I told her about some of them & she asked if I would like to have her group investigate the building for evidence of paranormal activity.  I think I will let her!

They come in the evening and set up a bunch of equipment and then check it the next morning.  I'm interested to see what they find out.  In addition to being in an old building that may have it's own spirits - we have an enormous amount of things that are old, so I think some of it comes and goes out with some of the antiques. 

We had an experience of buying an antique mirror at an auction.  The mirror belonged to a wealthy family and the last remaining heir was an old woman who happened to have been friends with my husband's grandmother, and was - in fact - buried in the cemetery on the hill where we live.  We hung the mirror on the wall of our TV room.  Shortly after - we both would notice something like a shadow passing in front of the mirror - just out of the corner of our eye.  When I would look around the room, I could not find anything that could cause something to move across that mirror.  We could never catch it while we were looking at the mirror - only catching it out of the corner of our vision.  It got to be kind of creepy after a while. 

We had also bought from this lady's same estate - a box of beautiful old Victorian calling cards that had belonged to this woman from when she was younger. One day, we noticed that box of cards was gone!  They had a place in a cabinet where we displayed them - and they just disappeared.  We moved the mirror out of our house then & took it to the shop to sell.  That was about eight years ago, and the mirror is still in our shop.  No one has even asked about buying it, even though it is a beautiful mirror.  I put it in a place in the shop where I don't see it regularly -so I don't know if the shadow still passes by it.

Never seen a ghost, but I've seen things that lead me to believe there are some there.  Things moved around in the middle of the night and other stuff too. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2013, 02:59:14 am »
Here's a picture of the antique mall, plenty of ghost material there. 

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2013, 03:31:17 am »
Alice that is very cool story.

Do you get Biography channel?  Every Saturday they have a program during the afternoon called Paranormal Activity and it is fascinating.  One story not too long ago was a man bought an old bar in the Boston area - one that went back to the Revolutionary days.... he said he had a bar downstairs and a restaurant upstairs... he had a waitress who complained of all sorts of strange things -- like she went int he fridge to get eggs and the eggs were all laid out on the floor in a circle - she was the only one there - she went out to get the boss and when they got back the eggs were back on the shelf... then one night he was sitting in the restaurant doing some books - just him alone and he heard one of the bench tables being moved around... when he went back and looked there was no one there, but the table had been moved.....  finally someone took a picture upstairs in the bar and caught a picture on camera of the spirit - standing behind the bar - it was a bartender who had worked there for many, many years and had died a few years prior... the people who knew him said the bar was his entire life - so he must have returned there in death to greet customers from the hereafter.

My friends housekeeper is from Costa Rica. She sees spirits  - has seen them her entire life... we were all at dinner at my husbands favorite Mexican Restaurant not long after he passed and she told my friend after dinner that he was there.  My friend told me what Patsy told her, so I asked what he was doing and she said just watching us and laughing and smiling at what we were talking about... then she ran into me shopping in Walmart and acted really strange.. I mentioned it to my friend and she said she cut me off because he was standing right behind me in the store and when I walked away he walked away behind me.... but the funniest was my friends husband.  He is not a shopper and could never figure out why we were all so happy that our new super Walmart opened here --- it is a particularly nice store as WalMart goes ~LOL~... anyway, my husband used to tease him about why not go check it out and see for himself... after my husband died my friend and her husband went out to Walmart and as they were walking down the rug aisle, all of a sudden out of the clear blue a rug literally flew off the shelf and landed flat on the ground at his feet.  It said "WELCOME"   made quite an impression on my friends husband.....  I have a lot more stories but I think that's enough for everyone...  please do have them do a Paranormal survey - perhaps I'll see your store on Biography next season!!!

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2013, 04:06:56 am »
I used to have the Biography channel but I got rid of cable tv after the election.  I'll have to check Netflix to see if they have it. 

My mother used to tell me that she was extremely intuitive and I realized that I am too.  I don't see things, but I can sense things.  Sometimes I meet someone and even though they seem nice - the hair stands up on my neck and I feel that there is something seriously disturbing about them.  My husband doesn't feel it, but usually it ends up that I am right. 

One of the things that happened to me at the shop - I was working alone at night on a stained glass project after closing.  I had locked everything up and all of the lights were out in the building except for one where I was working.  I usually keep the radio on all the time when I am there, but because it was evening I turned it off so that I could hear if there was anything around.  I was engrossed in my project in total silence when I became aware of a sound.  I stopped working and listened.  I realized that the sound was coming from the radio that I had turned off.  The light on the radio was on AND the sound I was hearing was the volume being gradually turned up.  I was watching the radio while the volume was slowly getting louder and louder. 

I turned off the radio and decided it was time to go home.  I will update when I get a report on the building. 

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2013, 04:25:37 am »
~LOL~ I think I would have decided to go home, too. 

Mine has usually been cognative dreams.. used to have them all the time, not so much anymore, but I've read the older we get the more prone we are to lose it and it is why children are so much more intuitive - they have not yet "learned" they should block it out.  My middle (crazy) sister used to be psychic, until she had brain surgery about 8 or 9 years ago .. when she recovered from the surgery her gift was gone.  it was gone...

After George passed we had his memorial party at the aforementioned friends house.  After most everyone had left a bunch of us who had been the closest to him were sitting around talking and suddenly all the lights went out in the house..... now...... this is a new house.. no hinky wiring issues here........  for a minute there was dead silence and then someone spoke up and said George is here...  we then realized this was the time of night when he would usually stand up and tell me... I'm ready to go home - or "the bus is leaving, are you going with me"........  he was telling us time to call it an evening ~LOL~.......   everyone laughed and said they could all picture  it as if he was there in the flesh.....

He also pounded on my office window one night when I was particularly upset.... scared the you know what out of me, I ran in the dining room to look out where my window is to see who was pounding on the window... no one was there and then it dawned on me... no one could pound on the window because I have solar screens........ then there is the flagpole... one of our good friends who was here for his memorial went out front of my house to smoke a cigarette... Now my husband was as anti-smoking as me.. and he used to harass her something awful to stop smoking... anyway, calm night and not even a slight breeze... she came back in the house and as soon as she was in the door said "George is here"..... seems when she lit the cigarette the flagpole started shaking wildly and didn't stop until she put the cigarette out...   He also left me feathers in the beginning... I'd find them quite often and one actually materialized out of thin air right in front of me right before we went up to Lake Powell to sprinkle his ashes...... anyway the same friend who smokes called me early one day to tell me that she has suffered a vitrious separation in her eye.. The doctor had told her it is smoking-related... but the reason she called is she had gone into her purse to pull out her reading glasses and in her purse, in her eyeglass case, attached to her glasses was a feather....... now this friend is not a cook...... but she went on to say she also had a dream that night that she had a big dinner party and George was there and in the dream she had cooked this duck dinner for everyone.. she said how strange, I've never had duck and never cooked duck, why would i dream about Duck.... I started to laugh.. of George's special dishes he used to cook was roast duck.. he had an old recipe from a French-Canadian he used to work with and the duck comes out with the fat all cooked off and the skin crisp and brown... that dream was what they call "validation".... something that not everyone knows....

I have more.....   but by now I'm sure some think I'm certifiable ~LOL~