Author Topic:  (Read 2146 times)

Offline Rapunzel

« on: April 28, 2013, 06:27:06 PM »

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 06:28:02 PM »
This isn't much different than Johnny Cash and June Carter and her parents standing guard over him and his house with guns while they got him sober........

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 08:24:26 PM »
I'm sorry, but George Jones doesn't stand in the shadow of George Strait or even Alan Jackson.

He and Merle Haggard destroyed brilliant careers with drugs and booze.   Strait is a team roper for a hobby.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Online jmyrlefuller

• Krampus
  • Angry goat-like creature
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 06:35:44 AM »
I'm sorry, but George Jones doesn't stand in the shadow of George Strait or even Alan Jackson.

He and Merle Haggard destroyed brilliant careers with drugs and booze.   Strait is a team roper for a hobby.
Jones would be the first to tell you you are right. However, I'd argue that once he sobered up, he made a pretty nice comeback for himself. His 1990s work, which was done completely sober, was great.

He got pretty darn lucky in the early 1980s, when his career and life hit rock bottom. He never did get over the regret of losing Tammy Wynette... hooked on drugs... his career flaming out... and stuck trying to record a song he absolutely hated and, for the life of him, could never master. Well, he found Nancy, he forced himself to sober up, and that song ended up being "He Stopped Loving Her Today," a huge hit that saved his career.

Of course, I mean no offense to Strait, who himself is one of the greats.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 11:38:22 PM »
There is any number of brilliant entertainers who have gotten caught up in drink and drugs... and some manage to turn their lives around before they are 30-feet under..Stevie Nicks is one.... and in her case while she started her drug abuse on her own, after rehab it was a doctor who got her hooked and almost killed her with prescription drugs.... Robert Downey, Jr. is another...brilliant actor who is lucky to be alive today..... seems to have a happy and stable life, now.  Johnny Cash was saved in much the same way as George Jones by June Carter.....  some people  are toxic to each other -  George Jones and Tammy Wynette are a great example.  People are human and many fight demons in their lives..

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 11:49:59 PM »

........People are human and many fight demons in their lives..

Most creative people fight demons. 

I'm going on 67 and still jump on my bed from the doorway.   

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - Iowahawk

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 09:27:48 PM »
http://www.angelfire.com/ak2/intelligencerreport/jones.html

Vince Gill and Patty Loveless' Emotional Performance
at the Funeral of George Jones
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - Iowahawk

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 10:34:40 PM »
http://www.angelfire.com/ak2/intelligencerreport/jones.html

Vince Gill and Patty Loveless' Emotional Performance
at the Funeral of George Jones

One of my favorite Vince Gill songs, I have on my iPod.  Thanks for posting.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 10:58:04 PM »
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 10:58:26 PM by Rapunzel »

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 11:05:50 PM »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf