Author Topic: A Marine and his Dog  (Read 1535 times)

Offline Rapunzel

A Marine and his Dog
« on: April 22, 2013, 08:02:54 am »
http://khanrahan.com/2013/01/07/david-and-archie/

A Marine and his Dog
 by Kevin Hanrahan in Dog Advocate. 

August 9th dawned scalding and dry across the Marjeh district of Helmand province, Afghanistan. In the blocks, a fertile swath of land watered by a canal network stretching dozens of square kilometers, farmers roused their mules early in order to complete ploughing before their relatives came visiting for Ramadan. A convoy of marines, accompanied by Afghan Local Police, rattled down a dusty strip between fields known as Panther road.

Corporal David Cluver and his black lab, Archie, sat in the back of one the humming tan personnel carriers that rumbled through the western blocks that morning. They were on their way to set up a vehicle checkpoint, to count cars and see how many travelers would be passing through the region during the Muslim holy month. Archie, three and a half years old, bore the uncomfortably nested acronym-title of IED (Improvised Explosive Device) Detection Dog, or IDD (often called “IDD dog”, a more comfortable redundancy).

As they established the checkpoint, the local police deputies informed the marines that they had heard an explosion last night not far from their post, a kilometer and a half up the road. The marines had heard nothing, which was unusual. Corporal Cluver’s squad was dispatched to investigate.

dsc00222 300x22512 A Marine and his Dog“When we got up near the post my squad leader asked me if I wanted to go check it out and I said yes, because there’s a lower danger factor for the marine when you’re using a dog,” Cpl. Cluver recalled. “A dog has a better range than a metal detector, obviously, as long as he’s downwind.”

As they neared the intersection, Cpl. Cluver allowed Archie to range ahead, sniffing at the ground and roadside ditches. But Cluver had some difficulty getting Archie to turn at the corner and head up the crossing path. “I wasn’t sure if he had something he wanted to check out or if he just wanted to pee on something. So I thought if I got a little closer I could get him to turn and hunt up the path.”

Cluver took three steps towards Archie before the dog turned on the spot and lay down, known as ‘covering,’ the IDD dog signal for having detected explosives. Cluver froze, but only for a split second. Archie had lain down directly on the pressure plate of an IED. The bomb detonated beneath him.

RIP Archie. Thank you for saving the lives of your fellow Marines.

�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

Re: A Marine and his Dog
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 08:06:36 am »
http://khanrahan.com/2013/01/21/marines-carried-on-after-death-of-his-dog-in-afghanistan/

A Marine- After the Death of his Working Dog in Afghanistan

by Kevin Hanrahan in Dog Advocate.

Two weeks ago I posted the heart wrenching story of Marine Working Dog Archie written by Lawrence Dabney. Here is the second part of the story.

Corporal Cluver and his fellow Marines, after Archie saved their life.

The kennels at Camp Hanson, the marine headquarters for Marjeh district, have been named in Archie’s honor. They currently house four of the thirteen dogs attached to 3/6 Marines and their two extra companies. The other nine reside with their handlers’ units at other bases across the district. Staff Sergeant Ricky Allen supervises the dogs and their handlers, all of whom underwent weeks of specialized training to establish a bond between the marine and their personal dog.

Corporal Cluver now works with a three year old female black lab named Jawdy, one of three dogs he tried working with at the provincial headquarters, Camp Leatherneck, after Archie passed away. Although Jawdy had previously worked with a handler in the field during Operation Moshtarak, Helmand province’s part of the surge, she was unassigned when Cluver came up. They clicked. When Cluver lets her out of her kennel she wriggles up at his feet, tail wagging furiously, and sets to licking his hands. When he gives her a command to sit, heel, or return to her kennel, she responds so fast that the response seems hardwired into her nervous system.

The dogs are trained initially by a civilian company, American Canine Interdiction—AK9I—who also keep a trainer on base to work with the dogs and their handlers during deployment. Handlers spend a minimum of three to four hours each day working with their dogs, says SSgt. Allen. “We try to push it to where [the handlers] don’t have extra duties, so they have more time to concentrate on sustainment training with the dogs.”

Sustainment training involves a variety of activities, but at the core of it is a mock-detection course set up by the battalion’s explosive ordinance disposal unit. SSgt Allen uses samples of different explosives’ scents to create marks for the dogs to sniff out while working under their handler’s commands. The civilian trainer from AK9I is also present at every one of the hour-long, twice-daily individual training sessions that each dog receives.

Occasionally, the exigencies of the battlefield can push training towards the bizarre. “When we got out here there was a big problem with—mainly the males—but some of the dogs would actually kill the local chickens.” So they went to a local Afghan shop and bought a large white chicken, and started inserting it into training exercises. If a dog started to go for the fowl, they’d get a quick zap from their training collar.

The chicken’s name is Bait. It is the same chicken Allen purchased back in June, and has its own cage in the kennel with the dogs. “Nope, no chicken casualties,” SSgt Allen smiles. “Couple have grabbed some feathers off him, but that’s as far as they’ve gotten.”

All this training does what it’s supposed to do—save lives—even when things don’t go as planned. During a patrol in a windstorm in eastern Marjeh, an IDD dog named Rodeo was rendered nasally ‘blind’ by the swirling air currents around him and his handler, LCpl Mathew Cato. Moving about as he attempted to locate a trace of anything at all, Rodeo knocked a rock over with his hind leg—exposing an IED buried beneath. Rodeo took one sniff and immediately covered. His handler was three paces away. No-one was hurt.

The dogs’ senses can be acutely sharp in the right conditions. SSgt Allen estimates that the dogs cover on false positives about fifty percent of the time, but most of these are not actually ‘false’. The dogs’ noses are so sensitive that they can detect now-empty cache locations where explosives were stored and removed, or ancient ordinance up to six feet underground that has decayed into harmlessness. Rusted-out Soviet landmines from the 1980’s are a not-infrequent discovery for marines on patrol with an IDD dog.

On a recent op in the Bari desert another of 3/6’s dogs, Rambo, covered repeatedly on a spot near a wall which a conspicuous kite handle’s string ran down into. The ground was hard-packed, though, and on inspection with a robot no weapons or explosives were found. LCpl Duvalle, Rambo’s handler, and the EOD team concluded that there may well have been a cache, but it was likely emptied at least two or three months previous.

The dogs’ training gives them an almost indefinite working life. As long as the dog is physically capable of keeping up, he or she can continue to work. Cann, one of the first dogs to come through AK9I’s program, is now eight years old and currently serving his seventh deployment with another battalion in Helmand province. This may be his last deployment, though, as age is beginning to take its toll.

When a dog retires, the most recent handler has the first option to adopt them. They generally do, if circumstances allow. “Obviously,” SSgt Allen says a little ruefully, “if the kid’s living in the barracks, he can’t keep a dog there.” IDD dogs are also sometimes moved to civilian agencies, like SWAT or police departments, where bomb detection duties are less physically strenuous than in a warzone.

The handlers themselves almost universally have dogs back home. Cpl Cluver, Archie and Jawdy’s handler, has two basset hounds named Winston and Rommel (he admits through a grin that he and his wife are both history majors). SSgt Allen grew up surrounded by beagles, coonhounds, and Labradors. But their connection with these dogs, half a planet and a whole reality away from home, is as palpable as the thump of the dogs’ tails whenever their handlers come near. It is a connection that may just end up saving both of their lives

RIP Archie.Archie A Marine After the Death of his Working Dog in Afghanistan

�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline happyg

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 07:21:28 pm »
Good articles, Rap. It's amazing what dogs can and will do.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 09:52:22 pm »
Good articles, Rap. It's amazing what dogs can and will do.

I know.  Our soldiers certainly have an appreciation for them, but most people have no idea they also suffere PTSD. As some know I am a huge fan of The Dog Whisperer. Recently he had an episode with a Golden Lab from Florida who had been in Afghanistan and was suffering terrible PTSD... he ended up bringing the dog for several months to his rehabilitation center to rehab the dog and give it a quality of life.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 09:55:49 pm »
Very touching, Rapunzel. Thanks for sharing.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams