Author Topic: Reese Witherspoon and Agent Husband Arrested in DUI Incident (EXCLUSIVE)  (Read 2552 times)

Offline Rapunzel

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/matthew-sheffield/2013/04/20/media-chorus-silence-ted-cruz-growing-louder

Reese Witherspoon and Agent Husband Arrested in DUI Incident (EXCLUSIVE)
04.21.13 | 01:54PM PT

Reese Witherspoon and her husband, CAA agent James Toth, were arrested and briefly jailed early Friday morning in Atlanta, Ga., after he was pulled over under suspicion of driving while intoxicated, confirmed an official at the city’s Dept. of Corrections.

While Toth is facing a DUI charge after driving in the wrong lane, Witherspoon was also arrested on a disorderly conduct charge according to a police report obtained by Variety. She was handcuffed after disobeying repeated instruction from the arresting officer, with whom she verbally sparred, to stay inside the vehicle.

The couple was released on bond at approximately 3:30 a.m. ET on Friday.

CAA, which employs Toth and represents Witherspoon, and her publicist, Meredith O’Sullivan Wasson, declined comment.

A court appearance is scheduled for Monday at 8 a.m. in Atlanta Municipal Court, but Witherspoon and Toth aren’t expected to appear, according to sources. Their attorney is expected to request that court date be postponed.

Witherspoon, 37, was with Toth, 42, in Atlanta shooting indie drama “The Good Lie.” Production on the film was not interrupted by the arrests, according to sources.

Witherspoon has been married to Toth since March 2011. The couple had a son, Tennessee James Toth, last September.

Toth was pulled over after midnight Friday driving a silver 2013 Ford Focus, which the officer witnessed weaving across a double line on Atlanta’s Peachtree St. Toth appeared disheveled and his breath smelled of alcohol, according to the police report, prompting the officer to administer a sobriety test.

As Toth walked in the Walgreens parking lot where the officer instructed him to pull over to, Witherspoon became increasingly agitated from the vehicle, which prompted the officer to warn her to stay in the car for the sake of her own safety.

“Mrs. Witherspoon began to hang out the window and say that she did not believe that I was a real police officer,” according to the police report. “I told Mrs. Witherspoon to sit on her butt and be quiet.”

Once Toth was placed under arrest, Witherspoon exited the vehicle and was instructed to get back in the car. According to the report, she “stated that she was a ‘US citizen’ and that she was allowed to ‘stand on American ground.’”

The officer then detailed how she resisted as he grabbed her arms to arrest as Toth attempted to calm her down.

As the report details, “Mrs. Witherspoon asked, “Do you know my name?” I answered, “No, I don’t need to know your name.” I then added, “right now.” Mrs. Witherspoon stated, “You’re about to find out who I am.”

The report also specified, “Mrs. Witherspoon also stated, ‘You are going to be on national news.’ I advised Mrs. Witherspoon that was fine.”

Though he told an officer he had only a single drink hours earlier, Toth blew a .139 on a Breathalyzer test administered at the scene. He also is facing a second charge for failure to maintain a lane while driving.

Witherspoon’s alleged violation, which is specified on the police report as “disorderly conduct (obstruction),” is a local municipal ordinance.

The arrest illustrates the delicate position agents can be put, along with the talent they represent, when they happen to be romantically linked to each other.

The arrest could also provide an unlikely career stumble for Witherspoon, one of an elite cadre of female actresses who has established herself for a time as a relatively reliable box-office draw going back to films in which she toplined such as “Sweet Home Alabama” and “Legally Blonde.” In addition, she has achieved critical respect in films like “Walk the Line,” for which she won an Academy Award playing the role of June Carter Cash in 2005.

Her success in part can be attributed to the squeaky clean image she’s maintained in over two decades of steady work. While like many a beautiful young female celebrity, Witherspoon is a fixture of tabloids that have picked apart the details of her romantic life and child-rearing, she has not seen her reputation dragged down by any serious improprieties.

How the arrests managed to stay out of a an increasingly aggressive tabloid press that has missed few opportunities to shine the spotlight on celebrity misdeeds is surprising and unclear. But the stakes for keeping the actress out of the public eye couldn’t be higher as she struggles to recover her career standing after a series of poorly performing films including “This Means War,” “Water for Elephants” and “Rendition.”

Toth and Joel Lubin were named co-heads of motion picture talent at CAA in September 2010. He first joined the agency in 1995 as a trainee, working his way up to agent status in 2000.

“The Good Lie” follows a young refugee of the Sudanese Civil War who wins a lottery for relocation to the United States with three other lost boys. They develop an unlikely friendship with a brash American woman, played by Witherspoon, but the young man struggles to adjust to his new life and his feelings of guilt about the brother he left behind.

Black Label Media is producing indie drama “The Good Lie” with Philippe Falardeau (“Monsieur Lazhar”) directing from Margaret Nagle’s screenplay.. Producers are Smith and Black Label Media partners Trent Luckinbill and Thad Luckinbill, along with Imagine’s Brian Grazer, Ron Howard and Karen Kehela Sherwood. Imagine’s Kim Roth and Reliance’s Deepak Nayar are exec producing.

�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online mountaineer

Though he told an officer he had only a single drink hours earlier, Toth blew a .139 on a Breathalyzer test 
Perhaps that "single drink" was the entire bottle of wine?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
REESE:   But....don't you know who I amth??"
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
I would never recognize her...like that.

THIS is Reese Witherspoon!   LOL!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Rapunzel

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/reese-witherspoon-charged-disorderly-conduct#overlay-context=article/reese-witherspoon-charged-disorderly-conduct

Witherspoon 'deeply embarrassed' about arrest
By JONATHAN DREW
— Apr. 22 12:10 AM EDT

ATLANTA (AP) — Reese Witherspoon is "deeply embarrassed" about what she said to police officers during her arrest Friday morning in Atlanta.

The Oscar-winning actress released a statement late Sunday apologizing for her "disrespectful" behavior to police that began when her husband, Hollywood agent Jim Toth, was arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol.

Witherspoon says she was worried about her husband and "clearly had one drink too many" but asserted her respect for law enforcement in the statement released by her Los Angeles-based spokeswoman, Meredith O'Sullivan Wasson.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

http://dailycaller.com/2013/04/24/reese-witherspoon-was-too-drunk-to-hold-her-head-up-for-mugshot-photo/

Reese Witherspoon was too drunk to hold her head up for mugshot [PHOTO]
1:55 PM 04/24/2013

Reese Witherspoon was so drunk the morning of her “Do you know my name?” arrest that she had some difficulty holding her head up to have her mugshot taken.

According to an Atlanta Department of Corrections worker who was at the police station last Friday when Witherspoon and husband Jim Toth were brought in for, respectively, disorderly conduct and driving under the influence, the actress “was wobbly.”

The Oscar-winning actress has said that she is “deeply embarrassed” about trying to use her celebrity status to manipulate the legal system, but say this for Witherspoon: She seems like she would be kind of fun to hang out with. (Toth, on the other hand, has no excuse for driving drunk; the two are clearly wealthy enough to hire a driver.)

The unnamed Department of Corrections source told People that “[Witherspoon] didn’t need help walking, but she wasn’t at a point where we could get a really clear picture.”

Apparently, multiple photos were taken and this was the best shot.

“On another picture, she sort of bent down at the waist and we got the top of her head,” the source said. “She wasn’t being difficult or rude, but her motor skills weren’t what they needed to be.” In a tribute to either the jailhouse photographer’s skill or the preservative powers of alcohol, Witherspoon still looks fantastic in her mug shot.

After the news of her arrest broke Sunday, Witherspoon issued an apology, saying that she “clearly had one drink too many.” Who hasn’t?

Witherspoon canceled all of her scheduled TV interviews this week. She was scheduled on several talk shows to promote her latest movie, “Mud.”

Offline Rapunzel

There has been a lot of pictures of her the last few months with Toth at the Lakers Games tossing back beers..... makes you wonder if she has a bit of a problem.

Offline Rapunzel

Reese Witherspoon's arrest: Police report text

April 23, 2013, 12:35 p.m.

If Reese Witherspoon is going to fight charges for disorderly conduct, the police report from her and her husband’s arrest could suggest a defense strategy: That the “Legally Blonde” actress is a U.S. citizen and thus allowed to “stand on American ground.”

Witherspoon was taken into custody along with her husband, agent Jim Toth, early Friday in Atlanta. Toth was arrested on suspicion of DUI after reportedly driving in the wrong lane and then failing a field sobriety and breath test. Witherspoon got out of the car, despite a law enforcement officer's instruction to remain in the passenger seat, which led to her arrest.

She and Toth are due in court next month.

Here is what AccessAtlanta.com has posted as the narrative portion of the arrest report, which the website attributes to the Georgia Department of Public Safety, written by Officer J. Pyland:

On April 19, 2013 at approximately 0040 hours, I was patrolling north on Peachtree Road. I observed a silver Ford Fusion fail to maintain its lane while it traveled in the left lane.

The Fusion traveled on the white dashed line that separated the left and center lanes with its passenger's side. I followed behind the Fusion in the left lane. The Fusion traveled over the dashed line on the right side again. As we negotiated a left curve, the Fusion traveled on top of the double yellow line that separated the northbound and southbound lanes with its driver's side tires. As we continued to travel northbound, the Fusion's left turn signal blinked on then off.

The Fusion traveled on the double yellow line again. As we negotiated a sharp right curve the Fusion crossed into the center and straddled the solid white that separated the left and center lanes. The fusion crossed the double yellow line again with its driver's side tires. I initiated a traffic stop. The Fusion pulled to the right into the driveway to the Walgreen's.

The Fusion was partially in the northbound right lane of Peachtree Road. I approached the driver, Mr. James Joseph Toth, and told him that I needed to see his license. Mr. Toth handed me his license and I explained the reason for the stop. As I explained the reason for the stop, I observed that Mr. Toth's eye lids were droopy. Mr. Toth's eyes were bloodshot and watery. I smelled the strong odor of an alcoholic beverage coming from Mr. Toth's breath.

I asked Mr. Toth how much he had to drink. Mr. Toth stated a drink. When asked where he had his drinks, Mr. Toth looked at the passenger, Mrs. Laura Jeanne Reese Witherspoon, and she began to answer. Mrs. Witherspoon stated that he had his drink at a restaurant. Mrs. Witherspoon stated that the drink was consumed two hours prior to the incident. I asked Mr. Toth if he would perform field sobriety. Mr. Toth gave verbal consent.

I had Mr. Toth back his car into the driveway of the Walgreens to get it out of the roadway. Mr. Toth was medically qualified for field sobriety. Mr. Toth performed all field sobriety asked of him. Just before Walk and Turn, Mr. Toth stated that he had a problem with his left leg. I asked Mr. Toth if it would prevent him from continuing and he stated that it would not. I asked Mr. Toth if he wanted to continue with the tests. Mr. Toth stated that he did. Before we began field sobriety, Mrs. Witherspoon got out of the vehicle. I told Mrs. Witherspoon to stay in the vehicle and she sat back in the vehicle.

I observed that Mr. Toth was chewing on something and asked if him if it was gum. Mr. Toth stated that it was a mint. As I performed HGN on Mr. Toth, Mrs. Witherspoon got back out of the vehicle. I had to tell Mrs. Witherspoon several times to get back into the vehicle before she did so. I told Mrs. Witherspoon that I would arrest her the next time she got out of the vehicle. I finished HGN with Mr. Toth. I went and explained to Mrs. Witherspoon the reason why I wanted her to stay in the vehicle. The reason was for my safety. Mrs. Witherspoon stated, "Yes sir." I went back to Mr. Toth and continued field sobriety.

During the rest of field sobriety, I observed that Mr. Toth had a hard time listening to and following my directions. Mr. Toth wanted to finish the rest of the tests on the sidewalk next to the Walgreen's building.

After I had administered the PBT, Mrs. Witherspoon began to hang out the window and say that she did not believe that I was a real police officer. I told Mrs. Witherspoon to sit on her butt and be quiet. I placed Mr. Toth under arrest for DUI. When asked his age, Mr. Toth stated that he was 42 years old. I had Mr. Toth sit on my push bumper. Mrs. Witherspoon got out of the vehicle and walked up to me and Mr. Toth. I asked, 'What had I already told you? Mrs. Witherspoon asked what was going on.

I told Mrs. Witherspoon that Mr. Toth was under arrest. I told Mrs. Witherspoon to get back into the car. Mrs. Witherspoon stated that she was a 'U.S. Citizen' and that she was allowed to 'stand on American ground.' I put my hands on Mrs. Witherspoon's arms to arrest her. Mrs. Witherspoon was resistant but I was able to put handcuffs on her without incident due to Mr. Toth calming her down.

Mrs. Witherspoon asked, 'Do you know my name?' I answered, 'No, I don't need to know your name.' I then added, 'right now.'

Mrs. Witherspoon stated, 'You're about to find out who I am.' I stated, 'I am not worried about you ma'am.'

I stated, 'I already told you how things work.' I told Mrs. Witherspoon that she was obstructing my investigation of Mr. Toth. I placed Mrs. Witherspoon in the rear of my patrol car on the right side. At approximately 0100 hours, I read Implied Consent Notice/Suspects Age 21 Or Over from the orange card dated 06/08 and requested breath. Mr. Toth gave a verbal 'yea.'

I took Mrs. Witherspoon out of the right side and placed Mr. Toth in the right side of the rear of my patrol car. As I put Mrs. Witherspoon in the left side rear of my patrol car, she told me her name.

Mrs. Witherspoon also stated, 'You are going to be on national news'" I advised Mrs. Witherspoon that was fine.

CPL Land # 570 met with me and transported Mrs. Witherspoon to Atlanta Pre-Trial Jail without incident. The vehicle was turned over to Futo's Wrecker Service. The backseat passenger was released to a taxi cab. I transported Mr. Toth to the Atlanta Pre-Trial Jail. I set up the Intoxilyzer 5000 for the test. Mr. Toth gave two samples. Mr. Toth's lowest sample was 0.139 grams. Mr. Toth was turned over the jail staff without incident.

Offline Rapunzel

First I've heard there was a passenger... hope it wasn't one of her children.

Online mountaineer

Reese Witherspoon: I’ll have another
Last Updated: 8:34 AM, May 17, 2013
NY Post

After being arrested together last month, Reese Witherspoon and her husband, Jim Toth, were back to boozing Wednesday night (though spies said they didn’t cause any trouble this time around). The Hollywood couple was seen enjoying a round of cocktails at the Bryant Park Hotel’s Cellar Bar before they headed to Koi for sushi.

Witherspoon — who’s back to being a blonde after a stretch with darker hair — and Toth were also spotted imbibing Tuesday afternoon on the Soho House’s roof. Bottoms up.

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org