Author Topic: 4 gay NFL players could come out on the same day, Brendon Ayanbadejo says  (Read 1129 times)

Offline Cincinnatus

"Ravens linebacker Brendon Ayanbadejo was released by Baltimore this offseason, and on the heels of comments earlier this week where he suggested that he was cut in part because of his outspoken stance on gay rights and equality issues, Ayanbadejo clarified himself to the Baltimore Sun on Friday. During an hour-long interview he made it clear that he harbors no resentment for the Ravens, and respects them for the support they offered him throughout his career both on and off the field. But that's not all.

When the conversation turned to his work with gay rights and the question of when we might see an openly gay player in the NFL, Ayanbadejo had this to say:

"I think it will happen sooner than you think," Ayanbadejo said. "We're in talks with a handful of players who are considering it. There are up to four players being talked to right now and they're trying to be organized so they can come out on the same day together. It would make a major splash and take the pressure off one guy. It would be a monumental day if a handful or a few guys come out."

Football fans, of which I am not one (and have no idea who this guy Ayanbadejo is) (nor care), here is the writer's comment on this supposed coming out of the closet event.

"In other words, everyone prepare themselves for the most insane day of the NFL offseason in human history. A day to make the sports world explode, basically.

And it would be awesome."

Do you agree? Does anybody really care?

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/4/5/4186668/gay-nfl-players-announcment-brendon-ayanbadejo

We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Online mountaineer

I don't care, but I'm not a guy who has to shower with them. I am curious as to Brendon's motivations here. How many other truly "straight" guys are so passionate about homosexual politics?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

famousdayandyear

Homosexual people who insist on telling everybody all about their private activities bore me to tears.  Yawn

Online mountaineer

Good grief.
NFLPA selling LGBT pride shirts with players’ names on them
By Steve DelVecchio June 12, 2013 - Yardbarker.com

The NFLPA has taken another major step toward advocating for human rights with its latest line of T-shirts. On Wednesday, the organization announced the release of LGBT pride shirts, which can be purchased for $24.99. Proceeds from sales of the shirts will benefit Athlete Ally, a group founded by former Maryland wrestler Hudson Taylor.

The shirts can currently be purchased with several current and former players’ names on them. So far, the list includes Brendon Ayanbadejo, Scott Fujita, Connor Barwin, Terrell Suggs, Chris Gocong, Chris Kluwe, Steve Gleason and Donte Stallworth. You can buy the shirts by visiting the NFLPA’s official shop.

Ayanbadejo and other players have taken tremendous strides toward supporting gay NFL players over the past year or so. The NFLPA’s new shirts are one of the most powerful gestures to date.

Thanks to Dan Steinberg of DC Sports Bog for the heads up
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Never heard of any of them except Donte Stallworth.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton