Author Topic: The Roof is on Fire: Solar Shingles Let you Green on the Sly  (Read 3671 times)

Offline Rapunzel

The Roof is on Fire: Solar Shingles Let you Green on the Sly
« on: February 22, 2013, 02:48:31 am »
http://gajitz.com/the-roof-is-on-fire-solar-shingles-let-you-green-on-the-sly/

The Roof is on Fire: Solar Shingles Let you Green on the Sly

Apparently, it’s getting easier to be green on the sly. A new generation of rooftop solar energy collectors is here, and they’re not the huge, cumbersome solar panels we’re used to. These actually look like part of the roof. American chemical giant Dow (or, rather, their Dow Solar division) recently announced their building-integrated photovoltaic (BIPV) roof shingles, which they say will bring affordable solar power to more homes. There isn’t yet any pricing information available, so we have to wonder what Dow considers “affordable.” But the panels do, in fact, look much more integrated with the home than huge, wing-like solar panels. And with some homeowners’ associations banning the large panels, this may be just the answer for solar-minded homeowners.

The Powerhouse solar shingles can be integrated into new-construction houses with asphalt roofs. Both the solar shingles and standard shingles can be applied at the same time, and the solar shingles won’t require a special installer; Dow says that any roofer can install them. They will be available on a limited scale in mid-2010, then more widely available in 2011.

If you’re looking for a household solar solution that’s even more clandestine, SRS Energy has some beautiful roof tiles that you’d never guess were actually solar generators. The company says that only 20%-25% of the average home roof would feature the solar tiles, with the rest of the roof being covered in standard clay tiles that look exactly the same. The solar tiles can generate a potential 500 watts per 100 square feet, and they’re basically ready to go from the day they’re installed. The Solé Power Tiles also install just like their non-solar counterparts, making them a simple way to integrate some solar power into your home. And – dare we say it – they’re so pretty that they may actually improve your home’s appearance.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

Re: The Roof is on Fire: Solar Shingles Let you Green on the Sly
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 02:49:18 am »
This is the first I've seen these... I like the solar tiles.. much nicer than the solar panels that stick up and look like crap.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 02:52:14 am »
Awesome!  I've always thought that cities like NYC could generate a substantial amount of juice if they had solar panels like this that could be put on in small increments and were flexible enough to fit various shapes without sticking up like gargantuan insects of some sort.

Funny thing that it took a private company - not some crony capitalists sucking on the taxpayers' teat (ahem, Solyndra) to come up with something like this.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 03:03:45 am »
Problems involved include lifetime of panels, maintenance of panels, weaknesses of batteries for storage, etc.

But the overall technology works, no doubt. Germany invested  heavily in Spain, and learned some of what I mentioned above.

In my location, my electric bill is too low, for solar to work even with the subsidies, through the government, using other taxpayers' money.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 03:07:04 am »
Problems involved include lifetime of panels, maintenance of panels, weaknesses of batteries for storage, etc.

But the overall technology works, no doubt. Germany invested  heavily in Spain, and learned some of what I mentioned above.

In my location, my electric bill is too low, for solar to work even with the subsidies, through the government, using other taxpayers' money.

I agree that it's not right for every place, and I certainly think the technology should stand on its own two feet - no gov't subsidies - either it makes it because it's a value-add for enough people that they buy it, or it's not and it either hits the ash heap or it goes back to the labs for the next version.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 03:18:28 am »

My average electric bill in summer is $250 + ... my friend who have a house just under 4000 SF here have solar for the house and their pool and their bill runs about $8 a month.

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 04:24:17 am »
My average electric bill in summer is $250 + ... my friend who have a house just under 4000 SF here have solar for the house and their pool and their bill runs about $8 a month.

Location is obviously key.  In your area it makes eminent good sense to install solar.  In Northern Michigan it probably does not.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 04:27:50 am »
Another issue is how well would they stand up to a hail storm?

And I don't mean pea sized hail, but a good Texas hail storm the size of golf balls or bigger.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 04:10:48 pm »
I've been interested in solar (active and passive) energy since attending a seminar in Texas back in 1980, and remember reading articles in home improvement magazines about these less obtrusive and attractive solar shingles at least 4-5 years ago. When we built our house in 2009, we considered including a rooftop solar electricity-generatingn system, but it would have added at least $25,000 to the cost. Instead, we put $20,000 into a geothermal heating system and included an array of windows on the south side for passive solar gain.

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Oceander

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 01:51:03 am »
I've been interested in solar (active and passive) energy since attending a seminar in Texas back in 1980, and remember reading articles in home improvement magazines about these less obtrusive and attractive solar shingles at least 4-5 years ago. When we built our house in 2009, we considered including a rooftop solar electricity-generatingn system, but it would have added at least $25,000 to the cost. Instead, we put $20,000 into a geothermal heating system and included an array of windows on the south side for passive solar gain.

Geothermal and passive are definitely important resources that should be considered, along with other (relatively) simple things like shading windows properly so they get Sun in the winter and little or no Sun in the summer.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 01:51:43 am by Oceander »

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 02:35:53 am »
Geothermal and passive are definitely important resources that should be considered, along with other (relatively) simple things like shading windows properly so they get Sun in the winter and little or no Sun in the summer.

My front windows get sun in the winter.. as the days grow longer the sun moves around the house and the garage shades the windows from the hottest sun during the day.,. in addition I have solar screens which significantly cut the cost of my summer cooling bills..