Author Topic: Eight Retailers That Will Close the Most Stores  (Read 3553 times)

Offline Cincinnatus

Eight Retailers That Will Close the Most Stores
« on: February 03, 2013, 07:22:51 pm »
It is the time of year again, when America’s largest retailers release those critical holiday season figures and disclose their annual sales. A review of these numbers tells us a great deal about how most of the companies will do in the upcoming year. And while successful retailers in 2012 may add stores this year, those that have performed very poorly may have to cut locations during 2013 to improve margins or reverse losses.

All of the names will be familiar, several have been talked about before as being in financial straits. I will list the 8 and, if interested, go to the link to read the reasons why they are in the shape they are in.

1. Best Buy
2. Sears Holding Corp.
3. J.C. Penney
4. Office Depot
5. Barnes & Noble
6. Gamestop
7. OfficeMax
8. RadioShack

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/eight-retailers-that-will-close-the-most-stores-173320796.html?page=2
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Eight Retailers That Will Close the Most Stores
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 11:31:41 pm »
Our Michael's store closed yesterday. 8888crybaby 8888crybaby
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 12:13:25 am »
JCPenney screwed up when new management came in and completely changed their marketing approach, doing away with sales, clearance, etc. Last week, they held meetings with employees, announced lots of layoffs and, I believe, a return to more traditional retailing. It may be too little, too late for them.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 04:00:15 am »
JCPenney screwed up when new management came in and completely changed their marketing approach, doing away with sales, clearance, etc. Last week, they held meetings with employees, announced lots of layoffs and, I believe, a return to more traditional retailing. It may be too little, too late for them.

Big huge mistake their new CEO made... of course my guess is HE keeps his job!
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 12:54:57 pm »
Incidentally, anyone here who works in the retail industry should read David Green's book, "More Than a Hobby." He's the founder of Hobby Lobby and tells about how he became interested in retailing as a teen working at a 5-and-10, never went to college, became a store manager by the time he was 21 and went on to create a multi-billion nationwide chain of hobby/craft stores. It's a good "how-to" for anyone who wants to know how to succeed in business in an ethical and honest manner.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 02:26:43 am »
A corollary that flows from the possible closing of these stores; or a cause thereof; or something more for us all to worry about?

Credit market investors are falling out of love with US shopping malls as up to 15 per cent of the country’s suburban retail centres are forecast to close over the next five years in the face of online competition.

The proportion of retail properties being put into commercial mortgage-backed securities (CMBS) deals has slumped in the past three years because of concerns about the sector...

“I think 200 are going out of business,” said Gerry Mason, executive managing director at property group Savills. “We’re 15-20 per cent overbuilt. There are just too many stores.”

It used to be Microsoft was going to take over the world, then it was Google, now it appears it will be Amazon, or a combination of all 3.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 02:35:41 am »
Who wants to go to the mall, fight the huge crowds, and deal with all of the hoodlums that spend all their free time roaming the mall and acting like gangsta wannabees.

Malls in affluent areas are mostly doing well.  They do not have the juvenile punk problem, and they usually have a very good variety of stores, restaurants, and often at least one movie theater.

I doubt most of the stores listed will cease to exist, but they need to simply exist the markets which are not profitable.  My local Best Buy is always packed, but I will not buy anything there without a gift card because I know how much they mark up their products.  A 500GB hard drive should not cost $100 or more when I doubt they paid more than half that from their supplier.  A SATA cable should not be $20 when online you can get one for around $1 depending on length.

I only go to the mall for two reasons.  Because I need something right away, or because I want to try on some clothes to make sure they fit.  I've been burned way too many times buying clothes or shoes online.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 02:40:47 am »
Our Michael's store closed yesterday. 8888crybaby 8888crybaby

How the hell does one pay rent...utilities...salaries....on 10,000 square feet of selling floor.....by selling dried flowers?
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 03:03:46 am »
How the hell does one pay rent...utilities...salaries....on 10,000 square feet of selling floor.....by selling dried flowers?

Hobby Lobby is doing well and they are only open six days a week... they are in our old Walmart (before they built our empty mall and Walmart moved into a super store out there.  The problem is Michals was out at the Mall and it is a ten min drive to get there, people can get to Hobby Lobby much easier and they have even more items available to purchase....  still I liked Michael's so I'm sad they are out of business... heard today our Penny's is going, too...

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 12:33:39 pm »
Rap, David Green's book explains how Hobby Lobby  keeps on top of having the products consumers want while providing the best possible service. He started the business making little picture frames in his home (his kids helped assemble them and he paid them 7 cents per frame).

Offline happyg

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 02:39:50 pm »
Our local Hobby Lobby is always busy. They carry so many things you can't find elsewhere, or have to go to several shops to get what you want. I bought a leather bound Marine Corp. picture album for my husband and when he passed, set the album on a table. Many people were impressed, and the local HL sold out of them. I also got a USAF album for my son. It's made of uniform material, and looks identical to the cam shirts they wear, including the pockets.

My granddaughter was given a gift card for cake decorating classes at HL from her other grandmother. She got pretty good at it, and we recruit her to do cakes for the entire family.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 02:46:47 pm »
I have to say that I LOVE Hobby Lobby!  When I go there (not nearly often enough because their hours coincide with my working hours) - but when I get the chance to shop there, I block several hours to do so.  It is almost a "spa" experience for me!  I turn my phone off so no one can bother me, and I push my shopping cart through all of the aisles while listening to that calm music-box like music they play - and I forget my cares! 

Hobby Lobby is a therapeutic experience for me!
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Relic

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 03:15:44 pm »
A corollary that flows from the possible closing of these stores; or a cause thereof; or something more for us all to worry about?

Credit market investors are falling out of love with US shopping malls as up to 15 per cent of the country’s suburban retail centres are forecast to close over the next five years in the face of online competition.

The proportion of retail properties being put into commercial mortgage-backed securities (CMBS) deals has slumped in the past three years because of concerns about the sector...

“I think 200 are going out of business,” said Gerry Mason, executive managing director at property group Savills. “We’re 15-20 per cent overbuilt. There are just too many stores.”

It used to be Microsoft was going to take over the world, then it was Google, now it appears it will be Amazon, or a combination of all 3.

Shopping malls are being strangled by urban youth. Where I live, it's a suburban setting, and the urban youth from a nearby city have already killed 2 malls, and they've moved, like a plague of locusts to a 3rd mall that they are in the process of killing. That mall will die, there is no hope once the urban youth decide to inhabit a mall. Because of the culture, and the crowds, I avoid malls at all costs. There is a plaza the other direction from the mall that I can slip into and out of with ease. The selection isn't quite as good, but that's ok, I'm flexible.

Overbuilding is something I've noticed for years now. It's criminal. The big time shoppers that I know are attracted to NEW stores like a moth to a flame. The key is NEW. The stores don't have to be a new name, or a new concept, but a shiny new building just makes those shoppers salivate. As a consequence, I've watched neighborhoods and semi wooded lots destroyed in the ongoing attempts to create new stores. I'd watch and shake my head as a lot is cleared to build new stores, while stores a block or two away become blighted. Catering to the impulses of "professional shoppers" is a fool's errand.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 06:59:46 pm »
Shopping malls are being strangled by urban youth. Where I live, it's a suburban setting, and the urban youth from a nearby city have already killed 2 malls, and they've moved, like a plague of locusts to a 3rd mall that they are in the process of killing. That mall will die, there is no hope once the urban youth decide to inhabit a mall. Because of the culture, and the crowds, I avoid malls at all costs. There is a plaza the other direction from the mall that I can slip into and out of with ease. The selection isn't quite as good, but that's ok, I'm flexible.

Overbuilding is something I've noticed for years now. It's criminal. The big time shoppers that I know are attracted to NEW stores like a moth to a flame. The key is NEW. The stores don't have to be a new name, or a new concept, but a shiny new building just makes those shoppers salivate. As a consequence, I've watched neighborhoods and semi wooded lots destroyed in the ongoing attempts to create new stores. I'd watch and shake my head as a lot is cleared to build new stores, while stores a block or two away become blighted. Catering to the impulses of "professional shoppers" is a fool's errand.

Hmmmm....I didn't realize that there may be a concerted organized group behind these mall takeovers by scary looking savages.   "Urban Youth" my a$$.

I do have firsthand experience in seeing what happens to a brand new shopping mall when it see itself with majority black customer base.  And it doesn't take long, either.

But what you're describing is criminal extortion.  I'm visualizing the New Black Panther voter intimidation....squared and cubed.

No way I would frequent an establishment that had large groups of brothers loitering all around.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Relic

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 07:10:18 pm »

Hmmmm....I didn't realize that there may be a concerted organized group behind these mall takeovers by scary looking savages.   "Urban Youth" my a$$.

I do have firsthand experience in seeing what happens to a brand new shopping mall when it see itself with majority black customer base.  And it doesn't take long, either.

But what you're describing is criminal extortion.  I'm visualizing the New Black Panther voter intimidation....squared and cubed.

No way I would frequent an establishment that had large groups of brothers loitering all around.

I'm not suggesting that they coordinate their assaults. I think they start hanging out at mall A. When some do, they just meet their friends their etc. And, of course they bring their unparented, sociopath ways with them. When mall A is a complete wreck and forced to shut down, they just look for a new "hang out". If a mall is so unlucky as to be their choice, economic death soon follows.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2013, 08:43:26 pm »
That isn't the problem with our mall.  The biggest problem is they built it outside the city limits to save tax $ and they didn't make it covered... remember it gets to 120 here in the summer, old people are not into strolling around a mall in 120 degree heat...  we have a wonderful Ultra Star Cinema out there - I go frequently... a Super Walmart on one end, Dillards on the other and a very nice Penny's in the middle, a Petsmart, a Sally's and a dentist along with a lot of empty stores.... so it is outside town and there is a McDonalds out by the highway and a hotdog place near the theater, but no restaurants... was supposed to be an Olive Garden and Red Lobster but they built the mall in 2007 right before the crash... plus the restaurants here doing the best are down by the lake, not out across from the airport... also heard that the owner of the three biggest restaurants by the lake went before the city council and fought tooth and nail against allowing Olive Garden/Red Lobster  - even though there is no way they would have been competition........ another thing is the smaller stores are usually aimed at a younger crowd and this is a town which is frequented by snowbirds in the winter and boaters from California in the summer...  the birds shop, but they are not going to frequent teeny-bopper stores (which BTW is the direction the new owners of Penny's have been trying to take the stores).........

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 09:01:18 pm »
Something really "BIG" is about to happen in Germantown, Maryland...Montgomery County...bordering Washington, DC.

It will provide a clinic on 'CAUSAL EFFECT'.

We've been essentially dominated by Safeway or Giant Foods as the main grocery chains.   The produce is disgusting and many items are near 'sell by' date.  They have a salad bar and a few rotisserie chickens.  They suck.

We do have of course, the upper priced stores such as Whole Foods, Mama's Organic, etc..

WEGMAN'S is opening very soon here.  Their stores are about as large as COSTCO warehouse.  You can fit a Safeway inside the seafood/meat sections.

A cheese section that takes a half hour to look at.  LOL!

Can't wait.  Safeway and Giant will be gone and their stores will become Asian or Hispanic markets.

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2013, 09:10:09 pm »
Wegmans is awesome, but my Giant here is great about fresh produce, milk etc. 

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2013, 09:14:49 pm »
Wegmans is awesome, but my Giant here is great about fresh produce, milk etc.

Yes, I've been in more affluent zip codes where the GIANT is clean and fresh.

In the end, it's a result of what quality people will accept.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2013, 09:53:00 pm »
In my city, there are several malls, and almost all have been updated. Grocery store options abound:

Vons (Safeway), Albertsons, Trader Joe's, Fresh & Easy, Walmart, Stater Bros., a few health foods/whole foods types.

The newest is Walmart Neighborhood Market, which is putting price pressure on the others.

I haven't seen it yet, but soon I expect old malls to be demolished, in favor of other uses. Maybe government housing projects. 
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2013, 09:59:50 pm »
In my city, there are several malls, and almost all have been updated. Grocery store options abound:

Vons (Safeway), Albertsons, Trader Joe's, Fresh & Easy, Walmart, Stater Bros., a few health foods/whole foods types.

The newest is Walmart Neighborhood Market, which is putting price pressure on the others.

I haven't seen it yet, but soon I expect old malls to be demolished, in favor of other uses. Maybe government housing projects.

...or the regional auto dealers park their inventory on their lots.  Inside cycle fences tripped with barbed wire.   :laugh: