Author Topic: The half-million-dollar TV  (Read 1962 times)

Offline Cincinnatus

The half-million-dollar TV
« on: February 02, 2013, 03:29:13 am »
Now this is what you need for your Super Bowl party.

If that 55-inch TV set you bought last year suddenly doesn’t measure up to your game-day fantasies, consider this Super Bowl-size alternative: A 152-inch one, yours for a cool half-million. That’s the price tag on Panasonic’s model TH-152UX1, billed as the “world’s largest, 4K2K plasma display” (we’ll get to that 4K2K part in a minute). The set is indeed a massive one — equivalent to nine 50-inch screens and weighing in at a whopping 1,272 pounds.

The article goes on to mention some concerns about eye strain and other such issues.

Wimps.
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-half-million-dollar-tv-2013-02-01
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 03:29:53 am by Cincinnatus »
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Rapunzel

Re: The half-million-dollar TV
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 04:58:37 am »
If you have the money for an entertainment room you can probably afford a large screen like this...
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 05:03:13 am »
Panasonic loves to build these things that they know will be purchased by a handful of customers, mostly for large sports arenas or similar type of venues.

And what is really dumb is right now there is little if any true 4k content; it is just 1080p upscaled.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 07:00:14 am »
What???

And what is really dumb is right now there is little if any true 4k content; it is just 1080p upscaled.

AtomicCow, I wish you hadn't told me that. I was just about to buy one, but now...
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 07:03:09 am »
What???

AtomicCow, I wish you hadn't told me that. I was just about to buy one, but now...

I work for an AV/IT company, and we're not recommending 4K TVs yet due to the cost and lack of 4k content.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 01:38:41 pm »
What???

It's terrible when the scales fall from one's eyes, and the naked truth is revealed for what it is - naked (and b*tt ugly, to boot).

:silly: