Author Topic: Inhofe: Panetta Sidestepped Congress by Announcing Women in Combat  (Read 1070 times)

Offline Rapunzel

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2013/01/25/Sen-Inhofe-Panetta-Ignored-Congress-With-His-Annoucement-On-Women-In-Combat

Inhofe: Panetta Sidestepped Congress by Announcing Women in Combat

by AWR Hawkins 25 Jan 2013, 10:29 AM PDT

Sen. Jim Inhofe (R-OK) criticized the Pentagon for telling the public about a policy change on women in combat without telling Congress about it first.

In particular, Inhofe "blasted" what he saw as a tactic of leaking the news to build momentum for it before Congress was even informed.

Although Inhofe made it clear that he supports the contributions women have made to the military, he said there are "practical barriers" which the Pentagon ignored in announcing it will open up combat roles.

Specifically, Inhofe cited a "2012 report" which indicated there are "safety and privacy" issues that must be resolved before broader roles for women and military readiness can be simultaneously realized.

Because of these things, Inhofe says the Senate Armed Services Committee, of which he is a Ranking Member, will "have a period to provide oversight and review."

"During that time, if necessary, we will be able to introduce legislation to stop any changes we believe to be detrimental to our fighting forces and their capabilities. I suspect there will be cases where legislation becomes necessary."
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Oceander

Re: Inhofe: Panetta Sidestepped Congress by Announcing Women in Combat
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 01:35:55 pm »
Sen. Jim Inhofe (R-OK) criticized the Pentagon for telling the public about a policy change on women in combat without telling Congress about it first.

Why?  Must the Pentagon come running to Congress every time some policy change is made?

On the merits of the change, all I can say is that it's about time.  I see no reason why a capable, well-trained, well-armed soldier should be prohibited from one of the core purposes of being a soldier - fighting for your country - simply because that soldier is a woman and not a man.  I don't generally get into fights - I'm too much of a weenie - but I can tell you that I've met a few women who I am quite sure could turn most men into black-and-blue pretzels, pleading for mercy.