Author Topic: Molecular Inconceivability  (Read 1498 times)

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
Molecular Inconceivability
« on: November 03, 2012, 10:23:20 pm »
Familiar as most people are with the concept of atomic theory, it is exceedingly difficult to comprehend how small such particles really are.
Let's do a thought experiment.

Suppose you have a magic wand.    By waving it over a tablespoon of water, say half an ounce or 15 grams, you could increase every water molecule to the size of a marble, half an inch in diameter. 

How much volume would the newly enlarged molecules of water occupy? 

Go very big.  And then increase that by a very large amount.  Just guess before scrolling down for the approximate answer.

/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
//
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
Fifteen grams of water molecules expanded to half an inch in diameter would raise ocean levels about a mile.  The calculations are muddled by the additional land area currently between sea level and one mile in elevation into which oceans would backfill.

But it's truly a lot.  Conversely, molecules are REALLY little.

The Book Commentary: "The book (Brilliant Creations - The Wonder of Nature and Life) is pure genius."
Review by John Orosz, M.D. "It is beyond outstanding. Please send me twenty signed copies for colleagues, family, and libraries."
"I was running every morning for twenty years with a genius." - Mike McCartney, D.D.S.
"You have the most agile mind of anyone I know." -
Avice Marie Griffin, PhD, Clinical Psychologist