Author Topic: Heavy Air  (Read 8322 times)

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: Heavy Air
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2019, 03:13:13 am »
Now hold on people. Surely all the global warming (co2)  and other pollutants have to play a role here.

The carbon alone has to count. It has to. I saw it on tv. I read it on the interwebs.

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline corbe

« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2019, 03:27:47 am »
     To survive another August in Texas certainly prepares me:

Tell The Devil I'm Gettin' There As Fast As I Can

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Drago

• "Life is a Journey"
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2019, 06:16:29 am »
Was the "unsealed...opening to the "box" at the top (1 mile elevation), or the bottom (sea level)?? (Won't be "STP" at both points, so drop the "IOW" part and just say "1 cubic mile of air at STP"?).  Anyway, I tend to agree with "BiguN" on this one:

"Just so you know, there are plenty of people here with the ability to answer the question but, it seems, no one thought it worth the effort.". 

Better to burn brain power on ideas to save the USA from a debt implosion, society's norms/morals unwinding, hyper-inflation, CW2 or something like that.

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2019, 09:17:29 pm »
Was the "unsealed...opening to the "box" at the top (1 mile elevation), or the bottom (sea level)?? (Won't be "STP" at both points, so drop the "IOW" part and just say "1 cubic mile of air at STP"?).  Anyway, I tend to agree with "BiguN" on this one:

"Just so you know, there are plenty of people here with the ability to answer the question but, it seems, no one thought it worth the effort.". 

How unfortunate that so many people have such a lack of intellectual curiosity, especially AFTER I specifically stated, "The answer will astound you." Their/your loss.

Better to burn brain power on ideas to save the USA from a debt implosion, society's norms/morals unwinding, hyper-inflation, CW2 or something like that.

Please post a list of threads where such "brain power" has been "burned."  Or something like that.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 09:26:22 pm by DeerSlayer »
The Book Commentary: "The book (Brilliant Creations - The Wonder of Nature and Life) is pure genius."
Review by John Orosz, M.D. "It is beyond outstanding. Please send me twenty signed copies for colleagues, family, and libraries."
"I was running every morning for twenty years with a genius." - Mike McCartney, D.D.S.
"You have the most agile mind of anyone I know." -
Avice Marie Griffin, PhD, Clinical Psychologist

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2019, 09:24:42 pm »
I think I have discovered our problem @DeerSlayer.  Your question was "what is the mass..."  and I took that to mean weight when you were talking about the density.  But then why was your answer given in pounds?   :shrug:

Mass and weight are interchangeable at earth's sea level.  Moving up or down some miles may change the weight as measured on a scale, but not the mass. 
The Book Commentary: "The book (Brilliant Creations - The Wonder of Nature and Life) is pure genius."
Review by John Orosz, M.D. "It is beyond outstanding. Please send me twenty signed copies for colleagues, family, and libraries."
"I was running every morning for twenty years with a genius." - Mike McCartney, D.D.S.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2019, 09:31:32 pm »
Mass and weight are interchangeable at earth's sea level.  Moving up or down some miles may change the weight as measured on a scale, but not the mass.

Just so you know, the answer I calculated (just over 11 billion pounds) was very close to the one you endorsed up thread. The difference likely is due to a rounding error in the .0807 number I used.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline thackney

« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2019, 11:46:36 am »
How unfortunate that so many people have such a lack of intellectual curiosity, especially AFTER I specifically stated, "The answer will astound you." Their/your loss.

Please post a list of threads where such "brain power" has been "burned."  Or something like that.

What an arrogant idea.  I got bored with silly mental exercises that accomplished nothing back in middle school.  I've spent a couple decades in engineering and construction projects in Power, Oil, Gas and PetroChem.  I solve problems that have real world impacts.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2019, 09:27:52 pm »
Just so you know, the answer I calculated (just over 11 billion pounds) was very close to the one you endorsed up thread. The difference likely is due to a rounding error in the .0807 number I used.

Masterfully done.  Masterfully.  Lunch on me.

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2019, 09:31:34 pm »
What an arrogant idea. 

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

First you attack ME as "arrogant" when in fact what I did was present a fun challenge for people of good cheer.

Then you proselytize to everyone, forgetting about the  Scriptures' many admonitions which you so cavalierly violated.

Since you're so self-important and have no interest in anything I have to say, I'll put you on IGNORE.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2019, 09:33:58 pm »
Let's calm down a bit here.  It's a frivolous thread, and seven years old.  It certainly does not justify the snippiness being displayed.  Let's move on to something important.

Offline ChemEngrMBA

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2019, 06:15:17 pm »
Let's calm down a bit here.  It's a frivolous thread, and seven years old.  It certainly does not justify the snippiness being displayed.  Let's move on to something important.

What, exactly, "important" do we do around here?  I think Brain Candy such as this is very worthwhile as well as stimulating.

Please provide your own five most "important" posts. I'd certainly like to learn from you.

"It's a frivolous thread..."  Are you kidding me?  This website is frivolous.   What would be lost if it were to be terminated today? People come to places like this to jabber, and often on things far less interesting than what is illuminated in my discussion of five million tons of air per cubic mile.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 06:18:27 pm by DeerSlayer »

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2019, 06:29:19 pm »
What, exactly, "important" do we do around here?  I think Brain Candy such as this is very worthwhile as well as stimulating.

Please provide your own five most "important" posts. I'd certainly like to learn from you.

"It's a frivolous thread..."  Are you kidding me?  This website is frivolous.   What would be lost if it were to be terminated today? People come to places like this to jabber, and often on things far less interesting than what is illuminated in my discussion of five million tons of air per cubic mile.

More to the point, what would be lost if a single Member were to be terminated for insulting the intelligence of the rest of the Members?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: