Author Topic: Gun of the Day  (Read 44972 times)

Offline wolfcreek

Re: Gun of the Day
« Reply #100 on: November 19, 2012, 12:48:40 pm »
For those who wish to buy American and have a rifle that shoots common handgun rounds:

http://henryrepeating.com/rifle-big-boy.cfm

Just like in the ol' West.

Offline wolfcreek

« Reply #101 on: November 19, 2012, 12:55:08 pm »
I like the .17HMR because it's a darn good varmint round. I wish the rifles would come in a semi-auto though. I've only seen bolt action .17HMR's
The .22 will always be a contender just because of the low price for a brick of ammo.

Sweet looking Enfield you have there ^-^

Have a friend who shoots deer with the .17 (head shots only) for maximum meat. Just can't do that with the .22 rim fire. [legally]

An AR type rifle that shoots .17 would be cool.....wait a minute..

http://www.shootingillustrated.com/index.php/17272/alexander-arms-17-hmr/

« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 12:56:35 pm by wolfcreek »

Offline TheMom

« Reply #102 on: November 19, 2012, 01:14:48 pm »
In other news, picked up a gem at a gun show today. A British Enfield 303. Needs some work but a nice classic to add to the collection.

Nice!
I'm fluent in three languages: English, Sarcasm, and Profanity.

Offline TheMom

« Reply #103 on: November 19, 2012, 01:23:29 pm »
For those who wish to buy American and have a rifle that shoots common handgun rounds:

http://henryrepeating.com/rifle-big-boy.cfm

Just like in the ol' West.

My husband bought the .45 this summer.  That baby is really sweet & shoots like a dream.
I'm fluent in three languages: English, Sarcasm, and Profanity.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #104 on: November 19, 2012, 10:27:31 pm »
Range report on the .17 HMR. We used the Marlin 917 (made a mistake earlier up-thread identifying it as the 817). Very similar to this gun.

You can find them on Gun Broker for under $200.  The bullets are only slightly more expensive than .22, running around $12/50 rounds.

I love, love, love this gun. You have to try to miss with this. We got to the .17 after shooting about 50 rounds though my Mosin and my FIL's Springfield so we were already having that subconscious reaction to the big kick of those. Even with this, the shooting results from the .17 was great. This was 100 yards with a 7 power scope.

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
« Reply #105 on: November 20, 2012, 12:56:17 am »

Have a friend who shoots deer with the .17 (head shots only) for maximum meat. Just can't do that with the .22 rim fire. [legally]

An AR type rifle that shoots .17 would be cool.....wait a minute..

http://www.shootingillustrated.com/index.php/17272/alexander-arms-17-hmr/

I read that article and gnashed my teeth the entire time. I'm not a fan of the Mighty Mattel (aka Barbie toy for boys).
In the article, it states that the .17HMR is nothing more than a necked down .22mag, so I still wonder why it doesn't lend itself to a larger selection of semi-auto configurations. Even in the configuration shown, I wonder why the major changes. When I was in the Army Reserves, we used a .22cal conversion kit in our M16's for our yearly weapons qualification. I don't recall ever having had a problem.

BTW- a well placed chest shot with a .17HMR will drop a deer in it's tracks. My neighbor did that ^-^
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 12:58:25 am by Ford289HiPo »
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
« Reply #106 on: November 20, 2012, 01:00:26 am »
Range report on the .17 HMR. We used the Marlin 917 (made a mistake earlier up-thread identifying it as the 817). Very similar to this gun.

You can find them on Gun Broker for under $200.  The bullets are only slightly more expensive than .22, running around $12/50 rounds.

I love, love, love this gun. You have to try to miss with this. We got to the .17 after shooting about 50 rounds though my Mosin and my FIL's Springfield so we were already having that subconscious reaction to the big kick of those. Even with this, the shooting results from the .17 was great. This was 100 yards with a 7 power scope.

Nice shooting!
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.