Author Topic: 25 Ways to Be a Real Man  (Read 2042 times)

Offline Lando Lincoln

25 Ways to Be a Real Man
« on: October 03, 2015, 12:02:03 pm »
25 Ways to Be a Real Man
by Craig Dunkley
American Thinker
October 3, 2015

In its Men's Style section, The New York Times recently published a somewhat ridiculous, liberalism-infused article entitled "27 Ways to Be a Modern Man."  While a few of the 27 ways made some sense, many of them were so soft-handed and weak that one wonders if the article was meant as a joke.  Sadly, it appears that the writer was serious:

• When the modern man buys shoes for his spouse, he doesn’t have to ask her sister for the size. And he knows which brands run big or small.
  • Does the modern man have a melon baller? What do you think? How else would the cantaloupe, watermelon and honeydew he serves be so uniformly shaped?
  • The modern man cries. He cries often.

Well, if a modern man is supposed to be a mushy, fashion-conscious crybaby with a melon-baller, then I want no part of it.  It's far better to be a real man.  So what are the traits of a real man?  There are many, and this list isn't comprehensive, but it should be a good start.

A real man:
  • integrity.  If he gives you his word on something – or shakes on it – then you can put it in the bank.  A real man does what he says he's going to do.
  • people with dignity and respect.  He adheres to the Golden Rule: treat others as you would have them treat you.  All people get the same treatment, whether he needs something from them or not.
  • Respects women.  For a real man, chivalry is not dead.  He will open a door for a woman, give up his seat for a woman, and never, ever abuse a woman.
  • Has principles and a moral compass.  The real man knows that there are objective truths.  He makes decisions based on them, conducts himself according to them, judges the character of others based on them, and won't compromise them.
  • Is not afraid to take a stand.  He is not a "yes man" at work or anywhere else, nor is he difficult just for the sake of being difficult.  However, he's not afraid to express his opinion.
  • Loves and supports his family.  A real man understands that he can't abandon his responsibility to provide for his family.  He doesn't have to do it alone…but he needs to be in the game.
  • Is willing to fight.  The real man should be slow to anger, but he understands that sometimes, he has to fight, whether it's figuratively in a courtroom, boardroom, or some other setting, or physically on the street.  He will protect his family from harm or die trying.
  • Has some martial arts training.  Maybe he wrestled in high school, learned to box in a local gym, or competed in karate, judo, or some other art.  It all counts.
  • Understands the gun.  He respects the pistol and rifle, and he knows how to use them safely and effectively.
  • Reads.  The real man doesn't have to be a top-flight intellectual, but he isn't afraid to read a book every once in a while, and he knows what's going on in the world.
  • Doesn't keep a diary.  Unless he's an important political or military figure, a great scientist, a modern-day explorer, leading businessman, or some other figure of historical significance, the real man knows that most of his day-to-day life isn't worth writing down.  If he wants to write out a diary to "explore his feelings," then he might not qualify as a real man.
  • Isn't afraid of his emotions, but knows how to control them.  The real man is not a crybaby.  He can cry over something major, like the death of a close friend or family member.  Aside from that, there aren't many reasons to pull a John Boehner.
  • Has some mechanical ability.  The real man can do things like change the oil and filters in his car (or better yet, his truck), use – and repair – a lawnmower, change a flat tire, hang a ceiling fan, and do some basic plumbing work or similar things.
  • Knows how to use tools.  Related to number 12 above, the real man knows how to turn a wrench, drive a nail, and cut wood.  He doesn't need to be a master carpenter, but he should have some basic skills.
  • Knows how to back a trailer.
  • Isn't afraid of manual labor.  A real man can be in a white-collar or blue-collar profession.  For those in white-collar jobs, it's important to have done – and continue to do – some work with their hands and their backs.
  • Has self-discipline and self-control.  Whether it's his job, diet, exercise routine, personal finances, or other elements within his personal control, a real man knows how to stay on track.  He's not a prude, but he does know when to conduct himself in a more dignified manner…and when it's okay to loosen up.
  • Loves a good steak.
  • Isn't afraid of a good cigar and a glass of whiskey.
  • Knows how to hunt or fish.  He also knows how to clean and prepare the game or fish he takes.
  • Is not a narcissist.  He is not overly introspective, and he understands that there are things larger than himself.
  • Knows what the term "inalienable rights" means, and what those rights are for every individual.
  • Takes his work seriously, and strives to be the best he can be.
  • Understands that the world owes him nothing.  After reaching adulthood, the real man understands that he is entitled only to what he can earn.  Anything else is a gift, for which he should be appreciative.
  • Doesn't pretend he's something he's not.
While this nation's future might rest with the modern man, its greatness most certainly rests upon the shoulders of the real man.  We need more of the latter.

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2015/10/25_ways_to_be_a_real_man.html#ixzz3nVJMsDVn
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 12:06:02 pm by Lando Lincoln »
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: 25 Ways to Be a Real Man
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 12:05:51 pm »
Rule zero for being a real man: Don't worry about being thought of as a real man.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 12:10:17 pm »
Rule zero for being a real man: Don't worry about being thought of as a real man.

Terrific rule EC!  One that I practice as best I can.  However, anyone who follows social media in the slightest can see the confusion and too many are raising their sons in the "Modern Man" mold.  This list is good, very good, to describe how I raised mine.
John Steinbeck

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 01:26:15 pm »
That was my first thought as well.

If you're relying on some list on the Internet to tell you if you're mature enough for the real world, you're not mature enough for the real world.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 01:56:41 am »
Fictional good man:  Walt Longmire

geronl

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 05:34:38 pm »
Isn't afraid of a good cigar and a glass of whiskey.

Smoking or drinking does not make one a real man, those are affectations. A real man would know that.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 06:12:20 pm »
Isn't afraid of a good cigar and a glass of whiskey.

Smoking or drinking does not make one a real man, those are affectations. A real man would know that.

But, I will make no apology to anyone for enjoying either.
John Steinbeck

Godzilla

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 06:59:15 pm »
Real men follow proper bathroom etiquette.

They do not use the urinal/stall next to an occupied one, unless all the rest are taken.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 07:30:43 pm »
Real men follow proper bathroom etiquette.

They do not use the urinal/stall next to an occupied one, unless all the rest are taken.

:silly:
That is one of the Great Unwritten Rules of Manhood, no doubt. There is, in fact a bathroom code that all Real Men understand, the rules of which are dependent on how many stalls or urinals are present, and which ones are occupied. The essential object is to not take a position directly next to another man, if any other possibility exists, up to and including the possibility of adjourning to another men's room on the premises. Seriously, ladies. It's true.

And for God's sake, any man who buys shoes for his spouse or girlfriend... really, do I need to say it? Chances are, she has far better taste than you do. And she knows how to convert European sizes to American sizes in her head. But I've said too much....
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 07:46:52 pm »
Nice list.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Paladin

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 08:04:30 pm »
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline Paladin

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2015, 08:08:13 pm »
Fictional good man:  Walt Longmire

Woot!

Did you know that Longmire is still on TV, but only on Netflix?  And, yeah, Walt is very manly, very much in the spirit of Gary Cooper.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2015, 07:36:13 pm »
When the modern man buys shoes for his spouse, he doesn’t have to ask her sister for the size. And he knows which brands run big or small.
How is that even possible? I have to try on a few dozen shoes before I find a pair that is arguably comfortable. If Mr. M brought me home a pair of shoes, he'd probably have to turn around and take them back to the store.  :laugh:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org