Author Topic: 25 Ways to Be a Real Man  (Read 1520 times)

Online Lando Lincoln

25 Ways to Be a Real Man
« on: October 03, 2015, 08:02:03 AM »
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 08:06:02 AM by Lando Lincoln »
For the progressive, there is very little to love about the United States. Washington, Jefferson, Madison? A bunch of rotten slaveholders, hypocrites, and cowards even when their hearts were in the right places. The Declaration of Independence? A manifesto for the propertied classes. The Constitution? An artifact of sexism and white supremacy. The sacrifices in the great wars of the 20th century? Feeding the poor and the disenfranchised into the meat-grinder of imperialism. The gifts of Carnegie, Rockefeller, Vanderbilt, Morgan, Astor? Blood money from self-aggrandizing robber barons. Nat Rev

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: 25 Ways to Be a Real Man
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 08:05:51 AM »
Rule zero for being a real man: Don't worry about being thought of as a real man.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 08:10:17 AM »
Rule zero for being a real man: Don't worry about being thought of as a real man.

Terrific rule EC!  One that I practice as best I can.  However, anyone who follows social media in the slightest can see the confusion and too many are raising their sons in the "Modern Man" mold.  This list is good, very good, to describe how I raised mine.
For the progressive, there is very little to love about the United States. Washington, Jefferson, Madison? A bunch of rotten slaveholders, hypocrites, and cowards even when their hearts were in the right places. The Declaration of Independence? A manifesto for the propertied classes. The Constitution? An artifact of sexism and white supremacy. The sacrifices in the great wars of the 20th century? Feeding the poor and the disenfranchised into the meat-grinder of imperialism. The gifts of Carnegie, Rockefeller, Vanderbilt, Morgan, Astor? Blood money from self-aggrandizing robber barons. Nat Rev

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 09:26:15 AM »
That was my first thought as well.

If you're relying on some list on the Internet to tell you if you're mature enough for the real world, you're not mature enough for the real world.
‘‘Great men are almost always bad men.’’ —Lord Acton

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 09:56:41 PM »
Fictional good man:  Walt Longmire

geronl

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 01:34:38 PM »
Isn't afraid of a good cigar and a glass of whiskey.

Smoking or drinking does not make one a real man, those are affectations. A real man would know that.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 02:12:20 PM »
Isn't afraid of a good cigar and a glass of whiskey.

Smoking or drinking does not make one a real man, those are affectations. A real man would know that.

But, I will make no apology to anyone for enjoying either.

Godzilla

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 02:59:15 PM »
Real men follow proper bathroom etiquette.

They do not use the urinal/stall next to an occupied one, unless all the rest are taken.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 03:30:43 PM »
Real men follow proper bathroom etiquette.

They do not use the urinal/stall next to an occupied one, unless all the rest are taken.

:silly:
That is one of the Great Unwritten Rules of Manhood, no doubt. There is, in fact a bathroom code that all Real Men understand, the rules of which are dependent on how many stalls or urinals are present, and which ones are occupied. The essential object is to not take a position directly next to another man, if any other possibility exists, up to and including the possibility of adjourning to another men's room on the premises. Seriously, ladies. It's true.

And for God's sake, any man who buys shoes for his spouse or girlfriend... really, do I need to say it? Chances are, she has far better taste than you do. And she knows how to convert European sizes to American sizes in her head. But I've said too much....
The Democrats had long ago decided to try to impeach Trump, and they decided to do so in December 2016 — because he won. There’s no point pretending otherwise.

- Kevin D. Williamson

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
    • The Conservative Fist
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 03:46:52 PM »
Nice list.
The Conservative Fist: https://twitter.com/arguedpolitics - follow me and I'll follow you.

Offline Paladin

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 04:04:30 PM »
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline Paladin

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2015, 04:08:13 PM »
Fictional good man:  Walt Longmire

Woot!

Did you know that Longmire is still on TV, but only on Netflix?  And, yeah, Walt is very manly, very much in the spirit of Gary Cooper.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2015, 03:36:13 PM »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf