Author Topic: Pets Welcomed  (Read 498700 times)

Offline ConstitutionRose

Re: Pets Welcomed
« Reply #1250 on: October 23, 2018, 01:48:57 am »
FDA Investigating Potential Connection Between Diet and Cases of Canine Heart Disease

July 12, 2018

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is alerting pet owners and veterinary professionals about reports of canine dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM) in dogs eating certain pet foods containing peas, lentils, other legume seeds, or potatoes as main ingredients. These reports are unusual because DCM is occurring in breeds not typically genetically prone to the disease. The FDA’s Center for Veterinary Medicine and the Veterinary Laboratory Investigation and Response Network, a collaboration of government and veterinary diagnostic laboratories, are investigating this potential association.

Canine DCM is a disease of a dog’s heart muscle and results in an enlarged heart. As the heart and its chambers become dilated, it becomes harder for the heart to pump, and heart valves may leak, leading to a buildup of fluids in the chest and abdomen. DCM often results in congestive heart failure. Heart function may improve in cases that are not linked to genetics with appropriate veterinary treatment and dietary modification, if caught early.

The underlying cause of DCM is not truly known, but is thought to have a genetic component. Breeds that are typically more frequently affected by DCM include large and giant breed dogs, such as Great Danes, Boxers, Newfoundlands, Irish Wolfhounds, Saint Bernards and Doberman Pinschers. It is less common in small and medium breed dogs, except American and English Cocker Spaniels. However, the cases that have been reported to the FDA have included Golden and Labrador Retrievers, Whippets, a Shih Tzu, a Bulldog and Miniature Schnauzers, as well as mixed breeds.

Continued - https://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/NewsEvents/CVMUpdates/ucm613305.htm

Checked the high priced dog food I am feeding my Great Pyrenees.  Potatoes are item 2 and peas item 3.  I called my vet and he suggested I change to a dog food for something where the carbs are not potatoes are legumes. 
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1251 on: October 23, 2018, 01:53:54 am »
Checked the high priced dog food I am feeding my Great Pyrenees.  Potatoes are item 2 and peas item 3.  I called my vet and he suggested I change to a dog food for something where the carbs are not potatoes are legumes.

Do you mind saying what kind it is?

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #1252 on: October 23, 2018, 01:55:45 am »

Or, you can supplement with taurine, which is passed out in urine if the body doesn't need it.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #1253 on: October 26, 2018, 01:11:24 pm »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #1254 on: October 27, 2018, 10:47:59 pm »

ROTFLOL!

Have had friends who raise alpacas and llamas.  This is great.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #1255 on: October 27, 2018, 10:48:38 pm »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #1256 on: October 28, 2018, 08:16:11 pm »
Do you mind saying what kind it is?

Blue Wilderness High Protein Grain Free with Salmon for Large Breed Dogs.  We also fed him the Costco version when we could get it.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1257 on: October 28, 2018, 08:25:36 pm »
Blue Wilderness High Protein Grain Free with Salmon for Large Breed Dogs.  We also fed him the Costco version when we could get it.

Thanks.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #1258 on: October 29, 2018, 02:17:25 pm »

https://skinnyms.com/doggie-green-bean-crunchies-for-healthy-weight/

I put them in when I go to bed and they are usually ready when I get up.  Big help in getting Atticus' weight down.   I "season" them with Bakon Yeast and keep them in the freezer.

*Bakon Yeast is a brand name for hickory smoked dried torula yeast.  No salt, no sugar, no calories.  Lots of options on Amazon and other retailers.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1259 on: October 29, 2018, 02:23:17 pm »

I put them in when I go to bed and they are usually ready when I get up.  Big help in getting Atticus' weight down.   I "season" them with Bakon Yeast and keep them in the freezer.

*Bakon Yeast is a brand name for hickory smoked dried torula yeast.  No salt, no sugar, no calories.  Lots of options on Amazon and other retailers.

I got mine a little sister to keep his weight down.  I adopted a year-old Doberman female from a rescue and she runs him ragged.  He's looking and acting better than he has in a couple of years! 

I'll try the green beans, that looks interesting.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 02:23:51 pm by Sanguine »

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #1260 on: October 29, 2018, 03:41:38 pm »
I got mine a little sister to keep his weight down.  I adopted a year-old Doberman female from a rescue and she runs him ragged.  He's looking and acting better than he has in a couple of years! 

I'll try the green beans, that looks interesting.

Atticus will mug you for a green bean.  When we move back to TN, I am going to get a puppy for Atticus to raise.   When my husband and I were dating, he had a Great Pyre that raised our bull dog puppy.  Griffin was an adult rescue.  So patient with the puppy.   
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 03:42:22 pm by ConstitutionRose »

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #1261 on: November 30, 2018, 07:07:47 pm »
Two articles with info on grain-free foods and DCM in dogs:

A broken heart: Risk of heart disease in boutique or grain-free diets and exotic ingredients

It’s Not Just Grain-Free: An Update on Diet-Associated Dilated Cardiomyopathy

One interesting thing I learned in the second article is that 90% of dogs with DCM are not deficient in Taurine.  My vet did tell me that they think there could be a possibility that the legumes in food actually block Taurine from being used, so the dog isn't necessarily deficient in it, its body is just unable to use what it has.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #1262 on: November 30, 2018, 09:56:25 pm »

A broken heart: Risk of heart disease in boutique or grain-free diets and exotic ingredients

One interesting thing I learned in the second article is that 90% of dogs with DCM are not deficient in Taurine.  My vet did tell me that they think there could be a possibility that the legumes in food actually block Taurine from being used, so the dog isn't necessarily deficient in it, its body is just unable to use what it has.

Thanks for the info.  I wonder if there is a test for Taurine deficiency.  I will check with my vet next week.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #1263 on: November 30, 2018, 10:09:24 pm »
Thanks for the info.  I wonder if there is a test for Taurine deficiency.  I will check with my vet next week.

There is a test.  One of the two articles talks specifically about it.

BassWrangler

« Reply #1264 on: December 09, 2018, 07:08:28 pm »
My best friend, this morning, waiting for my wife to wake up.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #1265 on: December 09, 2018, 07:15:45 pm »

Spinone Italiano?

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #1266 on: December 09, 2018, 07:17:20 pm »
Hmmm... no, I don't think that is right. Coat is not wirey enough.

BassWrangler

« Reply #1267 on: December 09, 2018, 10:32:37 pm »
Hmmm... no, I don't think that is right. Coat is not wirey enough.

@RoosGirl - Australian Labradoodle

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #1268 on: December 10, 2018, 01:35:30 am »

Darling pup.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #1269 on: December 10, 2018, 05:44:13 am »

When I was looking into this recently I found that there can also be a deficiency in B6, which is needed for the body to process taurine.

Which seems a little odd, since if you look at the top five sources for taurine and B6, four of them are the same.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

« Reply #1270 on: December 10, 2018, 05:49:41 am »

My recipe:

Go outside.
Grab green beans.
Throw to dogs.

My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #1271 on: December 10, 2018, 12:50:43 pm »
Winning photo from the "Comedy Wildlife Photo Awards" (who would think such existed).

http://www.thetower.org/6923oc-israeli-photographer-wins-international-prize-for-polar-bear-photo/

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #1272 on: December 10, 2018, 01:01:16 pm »
My recipe:

Go outside.
Grab green beans.
Throw to dogs.

You mean the dogs haven't discovered your source.   I know that if Atticus found green beans on the vine, he'd harvest the lot.

« Reply #1273 on: December 10, 2018, 07:03:24 pm »
You mean the dogs haven't discovered your source.   I know that if Atticus found green beans on the vine, he'd harvest the lot.

They know where the garden is, but they also know they're not allowed and they don't take things that aren't offered to them anyway.

BassWrangler

« Reply #1274 on: December 11, 2018, 01:36:13 am »
Another pic of my fur-bearing friend. Wearing a jacket I got for him in some Black Friday deal. $10, and it packs up in a tiny stuff sack.