Author Topic: Louisiana Tech Mascot Dies After Being Left Outside Too Long  (Read 1687 times)

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Louisiana Tech Mascot Dies After Being Left Outside Too Long
« on: August 01, 2012, 10:54:12 pm »
NEW ORLEANS -- The Louisiana Tech mascot believed to be missing has actually died because the bulldog was left outside in the sun for too long, according to school officials.

Dr. Patrick Sexton of the Sexton Animal Health Center, where the mascot Tech XX was being held, said one of his employees left the bulldog outside too long Sunday evening, and the mascot died from a heat stroke.

Sexton said the employee "chose to handle it the wrong way" and then tried to cover up the dog's death.

The media was notified earlier this week of Tech XX's disappearance. Officials said then that the bulldog may have been stolen.

"My family, my staff and I are extremely upset at this tragic turn of events as I know the entire Louisiana Tech Family is as well," Sexton said. "Tech XX was a member of our immediate family and a daily part of our lives for the past four years."

In a statement released by Louisiana Tech, the school said they were "saddened" to learn of his passing, and that the bulldog would be remembered as a symbol of the spirit of Louisiana Tech.

http://www.kbtx.com/sports/headlines/La-Tech-Mascot-Dies-After-Being-Left-Outside-Too-Long-164642976.html
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Louisiana Tech Mascot Dies After Being Left Outside Too Long
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 10:56:06 pm »
NO....you can't leave bulldogs out in this heat.....outside only to potty and back in.....

poor baby.... 8888crybaby
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 10:57:28 pm »
Someone is out of a job and could be facing some kind of cruelty or neglect charges.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 11:00:09 pm »
Someone is out of a job and could be facing some kind of cruelty or neglect charges.

They should be...this is a no no with any dog but especially with bulldogs...they do not have the nasal passages to breath like other dogs and very easily succumb to heat stroke....

My dogs are only out for a few minutes and then right back in....
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 11:07:38 pm »
Myst, scroll to the bottom of this thread for a picture.  He posted a picture of his bulldog, in his Aggie outfit.

http://texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=2124913&forum_id=5

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 11:26:33 pm »
I hate when idiots are left to care for dogs!!!!!  Several times I have seen dogs here left out in the sun in the middle of our hot summers and have promptly driven down to the Humane Society to file a complaint!  A few weeks ago I was out at Walmart and they announced that someone had left their dog in the car in the parking lot... the outside temp at the time was 115!!!!!!  Do not get a dog if you don't know how to care for it or the breed you are caring for!!!!  I only let my cockers out in the big yard in the evening after the sun has gone over the house... and then I keep an eye on them because we have Coyotes around here... my doggie yard is shaded.

This comment was in line with Myst:

Panther
user level: TexAgs LegendAggie   posted 6:03p, 08/01/12

As an owner of an English Bulldog this story breaks my heart and infuriates me at the same time. It is pretty common knowledge of the special needs of these dogs, and that they just can't be out in 100 degree weather. I want to know how long he was left outside... Just gross negligence on this individuals part, and inexcusable with their knowledge, training and position... The cover up is extremely disappointing as well.

I only walk my dog in the early morning or at night when the sun has gone down. If he goes outside to sunbathe, it's only for 10 minutes tops. Now I'll probably be too nervous to do that for a while.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776