Author Topic: Olympics Thread - results and comments  (Read 9163 times)

Oceander

Re: Olympics Thread - results and comments
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2012, 04:05:33 am »

Offline R4 TrumPence

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2012, 11:51:49 am »
Mr. M ran track in college and has coached it, so I've gotten into it since meeting him. Looking forward to watching the events.

Several of the women on the U.S. team are very devout Christians, e.g., Carmelita Jeter, Allyson Felix, Lolo Jones and several others. NBC heads will explode if they win medals and start praising God.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline evadR

« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2012, 12:12:27 pm »
First known pic....LOL...awesome.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2012, 05:34:25 pm »
Mr. M ran track in college and has coached it, so I've gotten into it since meeting him. Looking forward to watching the events.

Several of the women on the U.S. team are very devout Christians, e.g., Carmelita Jeter, Allyson Felix, Lolo Jones and several others. NBC heads will explode if they win medals and start praising God.

~LOL~ glad to see there is someone to carry on this thread with results  :beer:

BTW as of this morning the Chinese are ahead of us in medal count.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline SouthTexas

« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2012, 09:48:43 pm »

~LOL~ glad to see there is someone to carry on this thread with results  :beer:

BTW as of this morning the Chinese are ahead of us in medal count.

Semifinal Soccer  update:

Our girls just beat the Canucks in double OT 4-3!

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2012, 10:42:53 pm »
I see online that Gabby Giffords took last place on the parallel bars - the stress has probably gotten to her is my guess.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2012, 11:22:51 pm »
I see online that Gabby Giffords took last place on the parallel bars - the stress has probably gotten to her is my guess.
DOUGLAS!

If Giffords were out on the high bars I'd start getting REALLY suspicious...
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2012, 11:47:19 pm »
DOUGLAS!

If Giffords were out on the high bars I'd start getting REALLY suspicious...

:silly: :silly:

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2012, 11:49:15 pm »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2012, 02:02:58 am »
Checking to see if anyone was paying attention.......

at least........... that's my story and I'm sticking to it...... :whistle:

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2012, 03:26:16 am »
http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2012/gymnastics/story/_/id/8242816/2012-london-olympics-questioning-score-aly-raisman-earns-bronze-medal-all-around

Aly Raisman earns floor exercise gold

video at link

LONDON -- Aly Raisman finished the Olympics in style.

The U.S. captain matched Gabby Douglas in gold medals, winning the title on floor exercise Tuesday. Add in the bronze she earned on balance beam from earlier in the day, and she becomes the most decorated of the Fierce Five.

Ford: Tumbling To The Top

Ford Aly Raisman's grand finale to the Olympic gymnastics competition proves yet again that timing is everything in this tough sport, writes Bonnie D. Ford. Story

"It definitely went better than I thought it would," Raisman said.

Good thing Raisman did so well, because the rest of the Americans came up empty-handed. Douglas had another rough day, finishing seventh on balance beam after a fall. World champion Jordyn Wieber, voted most likely to leave the Olympics with the biggest haul, was seventh on floor and finished without any individual medals.

"I'm so happy, going home with two Olympic gold medals and a couple of titles under my belt," Douglas said. "I'm so happy for Aly, she deserves to be up on that podium."

Raisman may not have Douglas' bubbly personality or Wieber's resume, but she is prized for her steadiness, and that consistency paid off big in London.

Energized by her surprise bronze on beam, Raisman's floor routine had an extra spark. Her tumbling passes were some of the most difficult, and she got such great height on them you could have parked a double-decker bus beneath her. Her landings were not only secure, one was so powerful it practically shook the floor.

Coach Mihai Brestyan was hopping up and down and pumping his fist as Raisman finished, and even Raisman was impressed with herself, mouthing "wow" after she saluted the judges. When her score, a 15.6, was posted, teammate McKayla Maroney yelled "Whoa!" so loudly from the stands it could be heard across the arena.

"I felt like I had nothing to lose," Raisman said. "It was going to be my last memory for London, so I just wanted to make it count and enjoy it."

Five gymnasts followed her, but none came close. When reigning Olympic champion Sandra Izbasa landed her final tumbling run on her head, Raisman let herself exhale. And smile.

It was the first Olympic gold on floor for a U.S. woman.

"It was definitely the best floor routine that I've ever done," Raisman said. "To have it be at the Olympic Games, in the finals, is just really amazing and just a dream come true. That's what you work for your whole life."

Catalina Ponor, the 2004 champion on floor, won the silver. Aliya Mustafina of Russia got the bronze, her fourth medal of the Olympics.

Deng Linlin won the gold on balance beam, upstaging teammate and reigning world champion Sui Lu. It was the second gold of the day for the Chinese, following Feng Zhe's title on parallel bars.

Raisman had previously just missed a medal in the all-around, finishing with the same score as Mustafina but dropping to fourth on a tiebreak.

But she was on the right end of the rules Tuesday, bumping Ponor off the podium on balance beam.

"It's a huge payback," Brestyan said. "She was a little bit disappointed after the all-around. It takes us two days to put her head back and it was hard work, but she stood up and today it was exactly what she was waiting for."

Raisman initially finished fourth with a score of 14.966. But she questioned it, and judges added an extra tenth to her routine's difficulty after a review. That gave her and Ponor identical scores of 15.066, but Raisman got the bronze because her execution score was higher.

"A gold medal is a gold medal, but I definitely felt like [beam] was redemption from the other night in the all-around," Raisman said. "I was in the same exact position, but it went in my favor this time."

Not so much for Douglas in the event finals.

Douglas' life has been a whirlwind since she won the all-around title last week, with media wanting a piece of her and celebs flooding her Twitter timeline, eager to be her new BFF. There was training to fit in, too, with finals on uneven bars and balance beam. She admitted after Monday's lackluster showing on bars -- she was last -- that it was all catching up with her.

"I'm definitely not going to lie. It was definitely hard to regain your focus," Douglas said. "You're like, 'Yes, I'm the Olympic champion. I'm a world champion.' It's definitely kind of hard to turn the chapter for event finals."

It wasn't a lack of energy that cost her Tuesday -- it was a misplaced foot. Her right foot could only brush the beam as she landed on a leap, and she had no chance to save herself. As the crowd gasped, she fell onto the beam in a straddle, hanging on tight as she swung partly underneath.

Still, she leaves the Olympics without complaint.

"Olympic all-around champion is going to be attached to my name," said Douglas, the first African-American to win the all-around title. "Life is going to be crazy for me. Even though we had a very bad ending of the chapter, the beginning was very strong."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2012, 01:21:38 am »
Well, the US finally passed China in Gold medals and total medals; at least for now.

Russia has passed Great Britain for third place.

GB is 4th and Japan is 5th.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 02:20:58 am by Atomic Cow »
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2012, 12:08:43 am »
Well, the US finally passed China in Gold medals and total medals; at least for now.

Russia has passed Great Britain for third place.

GB is 4th and Japan is 5th.
And immediately after that happened, the Red Chinese started screaming conspiracy.

Offline SouthTexas

« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2012, 01:35:18 am »
And immediately after that happened, the Red Chinese started screaming conspiracy.

Well at least they didn't say the following:

Sometimes, some things are best left unsaid:

Weightlifting commentator: "This is Gregoriava from Bulgaria. I saw her snatch this morning during her warm up and it was amazing."

Dressage commentator: "This is really a lovely horse and I speak from personal experience since I once mounted her mother."

Boxing Analyst: "Sure there have been injuries, and even some deaths in boxing, but none of them really that serious."

Softball announcer: "If history repeats itself, I should think we can expect the same thing again."

Basketball analyst: "He dribbles a lot and the opposition doesn't like it. In fact you can see it all over their faces."

At the rowing medal ceremony: "Ah, isn't that nice, the wife of the IOC president is hugging the cox of the British crew."

Soccer commentator: "Julian Dicks is everywhere. It's like they've got eleven Dicks on the field."

Tennis commentator: "One of the reasons Andy is playing so well is that, before the final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them . . . Oh my God, what have I just said?"

And finally, Obama calls Phelps:

"Congratulations Michael, but remember you didn't win all those medals, someone else did. After all, you swam in public pools, built by state employees using tax dollars. You got training from the USOC, and ate food grown by the Department of Agriculture. You should play fair and share your medals with the people who can barely keep their head above water, let alone swim."

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/friday-humor-olympics-edition

Offline SouthTexas

« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2012, 04:19:23 am »
Our girls took the gold and set a new world's record in the 4X100 relay!!!

Old record belonged to the East Germans set in the 80s.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2012, 11:48:22 am »
The women's 4x100 team members have such great attitudes and personalities. It was great to see Carmelita Jeter's reaction when she realized they'd broken the record. Sheer joy. 

The U.S. men's 4x400 squad came in second. Angelo Taylor ran the anchor leg like an old man. Too bad, too, as we had the lead going into that last leg.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2012, 01:22:16 pm »
"One of the reasons Andy is playing so well is that, before the final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them . . . Oh my God, what have I just said?"
Somewhere, Dizzy Dean is smiling...

Offline SouthTexas

« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2012, 03:58:59 pm »
Mexico just took their first gold in soccer by beating Brazil, 2-1.

Offline SouthTexas

« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2012, 03:56:59 am »
The women's 4x100 team members have such great attitudes and personalities. It was great to see Carmelita Jeter's reaction when she realized they'd broken the record. Sheer joy.

The U.S. men's 4x400 squad came in second. Angelo Taylor ran the anchor leg like an old man. Too bad, too, as we had the lead going into that last leg.

Same song, second verse tonight with the girls 4x400 taking a gold and the men's 4x100, leading into the last leg, picking up a silver.  They were up against a lightning Bolt on the last leg though.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2012, 05:58:29 pm »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2012, 02:20:39 am »
Well, it's done.  The 2014 Winter Olympics will be held in Sochi, Russia and the 2016 Summer Olympics will be in  Rio de Janeiro from August 5th to the 21st.

Final Top 10 in the Medal Count

United States 104
China  87
Russia 82
Great Britain  65
Germany 44
Japan 38
Australia 35
France 34
South Korea 28
Italy 28
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton