Author Topic: The Tables Down at Mory's  (Read 359167 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: The Tables Down at Mory's
« Reply #1400 on: January 02, 2016, 01:38:36 am »
Did you see this article?

Which article, T_S?  It's the link for his entire page.   I'm starting to go through them now.

His trademark in a certain phase is a woman gazing away...window...porch...balcony.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwXBeyxO_Gk
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #1401 on: January 02, 2016, 01:40:35 am »
The only way to know how much it is worth is to put it up on auction. Then you will know the real actual value, regardless of what any expert 'appraiser' says.

Even then, you need a number in mind.

Is it $10,000?  Is it one million?
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #1402 on: January 02, 2016, 01:47:24 am »
Okay...I see one on page two, where I can request an appraisal.  Thanks.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1403 on: January 02, 2016, 02:41:13 am »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #1404 on: January 02, 2016, 02:51:57 am »
That is one skill I have mastered.

It's a new year.   You're a late bloomer.

Shine your shoes and get a haircut and a manicure. 

And most of all...smile.   And mean it.    :beer:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #1405 on: January 02, 2016, 03:07:26 am »
Which article, T_S?  It's the link for his entire page.   I'm starting to go through them now.

LATimes 2007

http://articles.latimes.com/2007/jan/18/local/me-artfraud18
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #1406 on: January 02, 2016, 03:12:47 am »

I have a signed number AP22, for which I paid $1,175., back in 1989.

I cannot find any place I can get a knowledgeable, honest appraisal. 

http://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=john+p+o%27brien+artist

The only way to know how much it is worth is to put it up on auction. Then you will know the real actual value, regardless of what any expert 'appraiser' says.

Yes.  It is worth what someone is willing to pay and that depends on where you are selling it and who you are selling it to.  I'm not an expert on art, but I owned antique shops and antique malls for over twenty six years - and I would often come across prints or paintings that I had no clue what to ask for. 

In the old days, I would list it on ebay with a really high reserve and watch the bids come in.  Normally, it didn't sell for the reserve price but I had a pool of bidders to contact and deal on a price (which I now had a pretty good idea of what people are willing to pay).  I don't do ebay anymore, so I don't know if you still can do that.

The advantage of having a shop is that I could put it on the floor without a price and see how many people asked about it - that helped to gauge the interest in it.  After a few offers, I would have a good idea of what to ask.

If my gut told me the piece was something really special - I would take it to our local art museum and talk to the experts.  They wouldn't tell me value, but they would tell me enough to do some research on it. 

If there is an art gallery nearby that deals in the type of art you have, see if they are interested in buying it - they will offer you probably one-third to one-half of what they think they can sell it for.  You can figure out the worth that way too.  Most people are not going to be able to hook up with that one customer that is really going to want it - unless they sell it online themselves.  Otherwise, you are almost always better off selling it wholesale to a dealer and letting him worry about getting the top dollar for it.  Overall, art and antiques are not that good of investments unless you are buying some mega-quality high end pieces.  I always say, "don't worry about what it is worth - buy it because you love it and are willing to pay that price for it".  There is also a big difference in an appraisal for insurance purposes and an appraisal for what the piece might actually sell for in the current market. 

Lastly, massadvj is a person that has a lot of knowledge of high-end antiques.  I would ask him about it.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #1407 on: January 02, 2016, 03:44:20 am »
Thanks, Lea.

I'm thinking an agent would earn 20%...but what's to keep him/her colluding with the buyer and then the agent double dipping at the other end?

I'd be like that guy who sold his BILLIONS of Apple stock for eight hundred bucks.   :laugh: 

It's his Art Deco period, too, so I don't know how much of a demand there is for it compared to his early scenes with softer tones, etc..

Hmmm, then again, maybe I have a diamond of sorts.    :shrug:

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #1408 on: January 02, 2016, 04:07:15 am »
Thanks, Lea.

I'm thinking an agent would earn 20%...but what's to keep him/her colluding with the buyer and then the agent double dipping at the other end?

I'd be like that guy who sold his BILLIONS of Apple stock for eight hundred bucks.   :laugh: 

It's his Art Deco period, too, so I don't know how much of a demand there is for it compared to his early scenes with softer tones, etc..

Hmmm, then again, maybe I have a diamond of sorts.    :shrug:

There is nothing to keep that from happening and it happens a lot.  Sellers have favored buyers that they've worked hard to build loyalty with.  There are all kinds of deals that are made.  And nowadays, I'm seeing up to 30% commissions on services.

If it's something that is valuable and they have buyers for it - you will see by the interest they show and they won't want to let you leave their business without making a deal.  Have you done a Google search on that particular print?

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #1409 on: January 02, 2016, 04:15:38 am »
There is nothing to keep that from happening and it happens a lot.  Sellers have favored buyers that they've worked hard to build loyalty with.  There are all kinds of deals that are made.  And nowadays, I'm seeing up to 30% commissions on services.

If it's something that is valuable and they have buyers for it - you will see by the interest they show and they won't want to let you leave their business without making a deal.  Have you done a Google search on that particular print?

I can find it in the series and the name of it.   It's titled 'Evening at a Glance'.  I can never find a page that gives estimates or ranges of value.

Mine was already professionally matted and framed for that price.  So I figured the piece was valued at $950. back then.  It's in flawless condition, of course.

It's not even hung in my home because it's not my style.  I'm more Mission Style cherry and oak...leather.

But I did have a contemporary phase.  LOL! 

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #1410 on: January 02, 2016, 04:31:18 am »
I can find it in the series and the name of it.   It's titled 'Evening at a Glance'.  I can never find a page that gives estimates or ranges of value.

Mine was already professionally matted and framed for that price.  So I figured the piece was valued at $950. back then.  It's in flawless condition, of course.

It's not even hung in my home because it's not my style.  I'm more Mission Style cherry and oak...leather.

But I did have a contemporary phase.  LOL!

Here's one for sale on Etsy, not sure if it's signed:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/257243698/evening-at-a-glance?ref=related-5

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #1411 on: January 02, 2016, 04:36:12 am »
Here's one for sale on Etsy, not sure if it's signed:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/257243698/evening-at-a-glance?ref=related-5

Thanks, Lea.

That gives me general idea.  Now I want to know why my number on the piece are ap22, and not appear as a fraction.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1412 on: January 02, 2016, 01:39:48 pm »
It's a new year.   You're a late bloomer.

Shine your shoes and get a haircut and a manicure. 

And most of all...smile.   And mean it.    :beer:
My logic is that if I want to meet someone, I have to be in the places where people are, after all!

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #1413 on: January 02, 2016, 10:52:05 pm »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #1414 on: January 03, 2016, 01:40:45 am »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #1415 on: January 03, 2016, 01:43:28 am »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #1416 on: January 08, 2016, 01:39:55 am »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #1417 on: January 09, 2016, 02:46:09 am »

Betty White in her 20's....
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 02:46:52 am by DCPatriot »

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #1418 on: January 09, 2016, 02:59:55 am »

Betty White in her 20's....

Wow.  She's got really good......bone structure. 

That's what they call curves!

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #1419 on: January 09, 2016, 03:04:43 am »
Wow.  She's got really good......bone structure. 

That's what they call curves!

LOL!  I catch myself staring at them.  'Them', the pictures...them.    :laugh:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1420 on: January 09, 2016, 02:03:06 pm »
Are you sure that was her?

She was a fetching young lady in her prime... but she was also a brunette.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzu-H6R3RG0

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #1421 on: January 10, 2016, 02:19:00 am »
Does anyone want to play backgammon? It is a free app on Facebook.
I am over there now so just reply and I can set up a game and we can play.

Look for Joe.

https://apps.facebook.com/backgammon-bnetgames/?fb_source=bookmark&ref=bookmarks&count=0&fb_bmpos=_0
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #1422 on: January 10, 2016, 04:01:27 am »
Styx: Grand Illusion/Pieces of Eight LIVE 1978

starting now VH1CL

Pay the price, get your ticket for the show
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 04:04:04 am by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #1423 on: January 14, 2016, 07:45:28 pm »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #1424 on: January 14, 2016, 08:01:29 pm »