Author Topic: The Tables Down at Mory's  (Read 355844 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: The Tables Down at Mory's
« Reply #1175 on: June 26, 2015, 03:58:05 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGdFHJXciAQ

It may be Summer and not Winter, but with the political expedient Supreme Court...and just damn, I'm feeling down a bit. it wasn't 5-4 either.  That's like a gratuitous punch in the scrotum.

So to the Republic that I lived in, I say farewell.  Sadly, the way things are racing toward full blown Communism, this is what I would play watching my country burn.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 04:00:48 am by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #1176 on: June 26, 2015, 04:30:20 am »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #1177 on: June 26, 2015, 05:05:34 am »
The Buddhist way:

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #1178 on: June 26, 2015, 05:40:16 am »
The Buddhist way:

Ah, you're right, my friend.

What bothers me is that supposedly 52% are opposed to Obamacare and 47$ want to keep it.  And yet, the past two mid-terms and also in 2012, the GOP in the end made huge gains.  Right down to "County Clerk" across the country.   So, it doesn't make sense.

My dismay, Luis is that we'd have a Chief Justice that would interpret words differently "for the good of the People". 

That isn't a SCOTUS' privilege or mandate.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #1179 on: June 26, 2015, 06:15:24 am »
Ah, you're right, my friend.

What bothers me is that supposedly 52% are opposed to Obamacare and 47$ want to keep it.  And yet, the past two mid-terms and also in 2012, the GOP in the end made huge gains.  Right down to "County Clerk" across the country.   So, it doesn't make sense.

My dismay, Luis is that we'd have a Chief Justice that would interpret words differently "for the good of the People". 

That isn't a SCOTUS' privilege or mandate.

This thread isn't about politics, so I'll make this brief.

In a democracy, the power to make the law rests with those chosen by the people. Our role is more confined—“to say what the law is.” Marbury v. Madison, 1 Cranch 137, 177 (1803). That is easier in some cases than in others. But in every case we must respect the role of the Legislature, and take care not to undo what it has done. A fair reading of legislation demands a fair understanding of the legislative plan.

Congress passed the Affordable Care Act to improve health insurance markets, not to destroy them. If at all possible, we must interpret the Act in a way that is consistent with the former, and avoids the latter. Section 36B can fairly be read consistent with what we see as Congress’s plan, and that is the reading we adopt.

The judgment of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit is

Affirmed.

We get to pick the government that we have, and because of that, we own their output. We have that government as a result of the combined efforts of those who vote and the lack of efforts of those who do not vote.

Not too long ago, a week or so back in fact, people here, good conservatives as they describe themselves, stood behind Rick Santorum's statement that the SCOTUS didn't have the final say and argued that the SCOTUS lacks the Constitutional power to declare duly enacted laws, enacted by those people chosen by the people to do that sort of a thing, unconstitutional. They were of course NOT talking about Obamacare, but about same sex marriage.

Well, a careful reading of Roberts's final sentences in the King v. Burwell decision tells you that Roberts agrees with them. "In a democracy, the power to make the law rests with those chosen by the people.

Now, those who argued that the SCOTUS lacks the constitutionally-granted power to overturn laws HAVE to agree with Roberts here, because not agreeing with him would make them blatant hypocrites, wouldn't you agree?
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #1180 on: June 26, 2015, 11:11:55 am »
Apologizing for bringing politics here...will just respond to your 'question'.

He agrees that the power lies with the People, but took it upon HIMSELF to interpret "State" to mean any form of government (fed vs. State), which is NOT how it was intended when written.

And yes, they'll certainly be hypocrites in the example you've described.

My guess is that he's thinking once the People see how expensive the 'free' health care is, that they'll be begging the GOP President and Congress to save them from it...come up with something else.

At the same time, it will be virtually impossible for Hillary Clinton to defend the ACA as enacted, based upon her failed attempt to do it back in 1994.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #1181 on: June 26, 2015, 11:14:46 am »
The Buddhist way:

I like that a lot Luis.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #1182 on: June 26, 2015, 11:15:20 am »
Life is difficult. This is a great truth, one of the greatest truths. It is a great truth because once we truly see this truth, we transcend it. Once we truly know that life is difficult - once we truly understand and accept it - then life is no longer difficult. Because once it is accepted, the fact that life is difficult no longer matters.”

― M. Scott Peck, The Road Less Traveled: A New Psychology of Love, Traditional Values, and Spiritual Growth
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 11:15:50 am by Lando Lincoln »
John Steinbeck

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #1183 on: June 26, 2015, 11:19:30 am »
Luis, on a personal note... how do you prefer your name be pronounced?

The Anglo-cized: Loo'-iss, or

The Latin: Loo-eess'?
John Steinbeck

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #1184 on: June 26, 2015, 01:19:46 pm »
Luis, on a personal note... how do you prefer your name be pronounced?

The Anglo-cized: Loo'-iss, or

The Latin: Loo-eess'?

The Lewis and Clark way.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #1185 on: June 26, 2015, 01:51:54 pm »
Apologizing for bringing politics here...will just respond to your 'question'.

He agrees that the power lies with the People, but took it upon HIMSELF to interpret "State" to mean any form of government (fed vs. State), which is NOT how it was intended when written.

And yes, they'll certainly be hypocrites in the example you've described.

My guess is that he's thinking once the People see how expensive the 'free' health care is, that they'll be begging the GOP President and Congress to save them from it...come up with something else.

At the same time, it will be virtually impossible for Hillary Clinton to defend the ACA as enacted, based upon her failed attempt to do it back in 1994.

It was a 6-3 decision, had he been the only one tho think this, the law would have gone down in flames.

Here's the basis for the Court's opinion... sort of:

Doctrine of Scrivener's Error, Legal Definition:

Doctrine of Scrivener's error is a legal principle which permits a typographical error in a written contract to be corrected by parol evidence if the evidence is clear, convincing, and precise. However if such correction affects property rights then it must be approved by those affected by it. Scrivener's error is an error due to a minor mistake or inadvertence and not one that occurs from judicial reasoning or determination.

Read this:

http://www.acslaw.org/acsblog/will-text-or-context-reign-supreme-in-king-v-burwell

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1186 on: June 26, 2015, 08:28:59 pm »
The Buddhist way:

And that way of thought is how Tibet ended up occupied by Communist China.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #1187 on: June 26, 2015, 08:30:30 pm »
And that way of thought is how Tibet ended up occupied by Communist China.

Could they have done something about that?

Not really, so why worry?

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #1188 on: June 26, 2015, 08:45:35 pm »
Arrogant

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #1189 on: June 26, 2015, 08:56:54 pm »
Arrogant

Love you, buddy, but maybe you should get back on the meds?    :laugh:

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #1190 on: June 26, 2015, 09:06:58 pm »
That's three threads...say goodnight famous! :smokin:
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #1191 on: June 26, 2015, 09:07:02 pm »
Arrogant

Do yourself a favor.

Put the bottle away and go sleep it off.

Offline famousdayandyear

« Reply #1192 on: June 26, 2015, 09:08:31 pm »
Don't you love it when the truth is told that liberals label you as insane.
Apparently, in DC, it works.   Love you too, DC

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #1193 on: June 26, 2015, 09:55:05 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziCVbznaPXI

I discovered these guys back in the 70's...around the time Hall & Oates were being introduced.  Love YouTube!!

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #1194 on: June 26, 2015, 10:28:10 pm »
Arrogant

Why would you do that?  I don't get it.
John Steinbeck

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #1195 on: June 26, 2015, 11:30:30 pm »
Well, wasn't that just special?

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #1196 on: June 26, 2015, 11:31:38 pm »

I discovered these guys back in the 70's...around the time Hall & Oates were being introduced.  Love YouTube!!

I discovered them just now!

I like tneir music.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #1197 on: June 27, 2015, 12:09:09 am »

Super clean for being ripped off vinyl!!  I like it too!

And, prophetic - "I never thought life would be the way it turned out to be..."

Thanks DCP...
John Steinbeck

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #1198 on: June 27, 2015, 01:18:03 am »

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #1199 on: June 27, 2015, 02:20:45 am »
Super clean for being ripped off vinyl!!  I like it too!

And, prophetic - "I never thought life would be the way it turned out to be..."

Thanks DCP...

Here is one of their most popular pieces.  Fell in love with the acoustic guitar once I heard it.

So glad they're still around. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYftB8AJzE8