Author Topic: The Tables Down at Mory's  (Read 355597 times)

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Re: The Grab Bag
« Reply #75 on: August 15, 2012, 10:37:35 pm »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #76 on: August 16, 2012, 03:58:15 am »
So, as I drive over the miles and miles of Maryland countryside, all you can see is corn....and soybean fields.

Bought some fresh corn and asked the attendant at the roadside stand.....How many ears of corn are typically on one stalk of corn?

Being a city boy, always thought it was maybe 3 to 5 ears.

BUZZZZZ!    Wrong.

He said "Only one!"

WTF?   That seems to be an awful lot of greenery and hardwork to only end up with one ear of corn per plant stalk.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #77 on: August 16, 2012, 04:05:37 am »
So, as I drive over the miles and miles of Maryland countryside, all you can see is corn....and soybean fields.

Bought some fresh corn and asked the attendant at the roadside stand.....How many ears of corn are typically on one stalk of corn?

Being a city boy, always thought it was maybe 3 to 5 ears.

BUZZZZZ!    Wrong.

He said "Only one!"

WTF?   That seems to be an awful lot of greenery and hardwork to only end up with one ear of corn per plant stalk.

He's right.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2012, 04:20:30 am »
That is interesting :pondering:

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #79 on: August 16, 2012, 04:29:29 am »
That is interesting :pondering:

You'd think we would need a corn field covering all of the Midwest and a good part of the South just to supply our movie theaters.

Corn matures very rapidly.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #80 on: August 16, 2012, 04:31:18 am »
Here's something you may have never seen before.

That's my lovely better half holding what?

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #81 on: August 16, 2012, 04:33:48 am »
Globe artichoke.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #82 on: August 16, 2012, 04:42:27 am »
Mark Gungor - Mens Brains Womens Brains

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jAP0dZ36IM
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #83 on: August 16, 2012, 04:44:34 am »
Globe artichoke.

Obviously correct.

Most of the people who toured the fields had no idea that an artichoke is actually a flower.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #84 on: August 16, 2012, 05:08:56 am »
Obviously correct.

Most of the people who toured the fields had no idea that an artichoke is actually a flower.

Well it wasn't really fair for me to answer, I grew up in California and when we were first married and moved to Irvine, in Orange County, it was still mostly farm fields and one of George's favorite things was stuffed globe artichokes so we always looked forward to them and Asparagus being in season.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #85 on: August 16, 2012, 05:42:29 am »
Well it wasn't really fair for me to answer, I grew up in California and when we were first married and moved to Irvine, in Orange County, it was still mostly farm fields and one of George's favorite things was stuffed globe artichokes so we always looked forward to them and Asparagus being in season.

We just spent five days touring the Salinas Valley fields where most of the produce that we sell is grown.

It was a work thing, with wives. Very informative.

Loved Monterrey...except for the weather. Cold and wet every day we spent there.

The only time we saw the sun s when we spent the day in Carmel.

I got off the tour bus at the first field we visited holding a Bloody Mary, then realized that I was standing in the middle of hundreds of acres of celery...serendipity!

P.S The company that owned those fields bought us all dinner that night (amazing restaurant in Monterrey) and challenged the Executive Chef with including their artichokes in as many of the dishes as possible.

The artichoke and parmigiano-reggiano risotto was amazing, and so where the grilled baby artichokes with extra virgin olive oil and lemon.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 05:48:58 am by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #86 on: August 16, 2012, 06:24:41 am »
We spent a lot of time up the north coast of CA.  One friend had a home in the Santa Cruz mountains and you could see Monterey on a sunny day from their deck.... another lived above San Francisco in Sea Ranch.. we spent many a holiday up at both places.  That coast sucks in the summer as it is hot inland and in turn cold and dank along the coast, but visit in the winter and you will never want to leave.

You know Clint Eastwood has a restaurant (in addition to Hogs Breath) on the Monterrey Peninsula called the Mission Inn, it was an old dairy farm he bought and totally restored and opened a restaurant there...

I love California - especially northern portion of the state... it is the politics that have made it an impossible place to live..but for anyone who enjoys good food and cooking there is no better place to live.  On the way up to Sea Ranch we used to stop in Bodega Bay and buy fresh fish right off the fleet and then make a huge pot of Cioppino with Caesar Salad and San Francisco Sour Dough Bread.. oh and home made apple cake, too.. ummm.   There is nothing better than buying fresh crab in season as it comes in fresh -- just crab, cheese, salad and bread....... and we would stop in the Salinas area on the way back home and buy fresh, in season, vegetables...

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #87 on: August 16, 2012, 06:48:06 am »
We spent a lot of time up the north coast of CA.  One friend had a home in the Santa Cruz mountains and you could see Monterey on a sunny day from their deck.... another lived above San Francisco in Sea Ranch.. we spent many a holiday up at both places.  That coast sucks in the summer as it is hot inland and in turn cold and dank along the coast, but visit in the winter and you will never want to leave.

You know Clint Eastwood has a restaurant (in addition to Hogs Breath) on the Monterrey Peninsula called the Mission Inn, it was an old dairy farm he bought and totally restored and opened a restaurant there...

I love California - especially northern portion of the state... it is the politics that have made it an impossible place to live..but for anyone who enjoys good food and cooking there is no better place to live.  On the way up to Sea Ranch we used to stop in Bodega Bay and buy fresh fish right off the fleet and then make a huge pot of Cioppino with Caesar Salad and San Francisco Sour Dough Bread.. oh and home made apple cake, too.. ummm.   There is nothing better than buying fresh crab in season as it comes in fresh -- just crab, cheese, salad and bread....... and we would stop in the Salinas area on the way back home and buy fresh, in season, vegetables...

That was EXACTLY the weather in Monterrey.

Here's a nice shot. I spotted this and made the tour bus pull over so that I could get a better picture...we're on our way to brunch Sunday.

We had brunch overlooking the 18th hole at Pebble Beach.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #88 on: August 16, 2012, 06:51:32 am »
Take your wife back around Thanksgiving time...  I always laugh, summer pics up there look like winter and winter looks like summer.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #89 on: August 16, 2012, 10:59:12 pm »

Oceander......can you work with this pic and insert a doobie in Biden's hand?

....cause that looks like smoke already coming out of Obama's mouth.   
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
« Reply #90 on: August 17, 2012, 06:59:59 pm »
1968 289 Mustang?
It is a Mustang...don't know the year.

1968 289 Mustang?

Oy! I meant the model of car that floor mounted dimmer switch came out of.

BTW- My avatar is a 67 Mustang.
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.

famousdayandyear

« Reply #91 on: August 17, 2012, 07:03:18 pm »

Oy! I meant the model of car that floor mounted dimmer switch came out of.

BTW- My avatar is a 67 Mustang.

Dimmer switch from 1949 Ford V8 Coupe; or 56 Ford Vic

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #92 on: August 17, 2012, 07:08:11 pm »

Oceander......can you work with this pic and insert a doobie in Biden's hand?

....cause that looks like smoke already coming out of Obama's mouth.

Biden could be holding a microphone also.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #93 on: August 18, 2012, 05:37:49 pm »
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 05:56:02 pm by Luis Gonzalez »

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #94 on: August 18, 2012, 09:32:15 pm »
Trivia question. What does Massadjv and Lipstick on Hillary have in common with Paul Ryan?

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #95 on: August 18, 2012, 11:31:29 pm »
Trivia question. What does Massadjv and Lipstick on Hillary have in common with Paul Ryan?

They are all cheeseheads?  :shrug:

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #96 on: August 19, 2012, 02:56:48 am »
They are all cheeseheads?  :shrug:

I see you know the answer now...  :whistle:

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #97 on: August 19, 2012, 03:28:28 am »
Someone say cheesehead?
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #98 on: August 19, 2012, 03:34:00 am »
Someone say cheesehead?

Down boy....... sit, stay.......  :tongue2:

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #99 on: August 19, 2012, 11:58:11 pm »
Down boy....... sit, stay.......  :tongue2:

I know the real answer now since  Massadjv posted it on another thread...hehehe