Author Topic: The Jukebox from Hell  (Read 64954 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: The Jukebox from Hell
« Reply #175 on: April 07, 2013, 08:27:07 pm »
I don't know anyone in their right mind who thought writing this song was a good idea. The song was originally recorded (as a single, anyway; the original songwriter released it on his one and only album the year before) by America, whose version was a flop but nonetheless caught the attention of the Captain and Tennille, who thought that it was the most ridiculous song they had ever heard... so they decided to record it, complete with synthesizer sound effects meant to simulate the two muskrats doin' the nasty.

Somehow, it became a hit for them, one of their biggest. They even played it at the national bicentennial in 1976, with the queen of England and a not-too-pleased Henry Kissinger among the audience (Toni Tennille explains the story in the video).

Here are the Captain and Tennille with "Muskrat Love."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBYV_7a0FQs
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 08:36:08 pm by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #176 on: April 10, 2013, 04:45:00 pm »
Note to self: when attempting to write music for a foreign language market, please make sure you have a grasp of the language first. Otherwise you end up with today's entry in the Jukebox from Hell.

Here's the Italian eurodisco group Eiffel 65 with one of the most infamous hits of the lat e 1990s, "Blue (Da Ba Dee)."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68ugkg9RePc

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #177 on: April 11, 2013, 11:59:00 am »
One of the reviews for the previous entry here described Eiffel 65's "Blue" as a never-ending ringtone. That brings me to my next entry in the Jukebox from Hell.

This one actually WAS a ringtone at first. The recording that inspired it was recorded back in the 1990s; that was an onomatopoeic impersonation of a race car, which was one of the early "viral" media bits on the World Wide Web. In 2004, some producer decided to remix the recording and set it to the late 1980s synth-pop instrumental, "Axel F." The result was something that even the producers thought was "the most annoying thing in the world," and they designed a frog character to match.

Here's Crazy Frog with "Axel F."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=k85mRPqvMbE

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #178 on: April 12, 2013, 10:29:36 pm »
Today's entry in the Jukebox from Hell comes from the man who is perhaps one of the most despised artists in the genre of smooth jazz.

Here's Kenny G with what arguably is his signature tune, "Songbird."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QN2RnjFHmNY

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #179 on: April 15, 2013, 01:09:00 am »
Today's entry in the Jukebox from Hell was originally popularized after it was used in commercials advertising Michael J. Fox's last episode of the sitcom Spin City (Fox left that show due to worsening Parkinson's disease). The song was primarily chosen for its lyrical content, and probably not for the vocal talents of the lead singer. Now, pardon me if this seems insensitive, but this woman doesn't simply have a bad voice... she has NO voice. What little she does have sounds like it's withered away after several decades of chain-smoking Newports. This was pretty much her only hit.

A little side note: not only am I featuring this in the Jukebox from Hell, but this past December, the singer performed it herself on KDOC First Night 2013, a New Year special widely considered to be a New Year's Eve special from Hell. Her performance and bizarre antics made many suspect that she was drunk, an allegation host Jamie Kennedy denied.

Here's Macy Gray with "I Try."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Hq6RGIIdTQE

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #180 on: April 17, 2013, 10:38:59 pm »
WARNING: Profane language alert.

Most of us have had bad days at work. However, if you feel the need to go on an obscene rant, you might want to wait until you are out of the studio, lest you experience what happened to top-40 countdown host Casey Kasem. On at least two occasions, Kasem (thinking he was not recording at the time), after making bloopers that he eventually cut from his show, American Top 40, went ballistic on his producers and lambasted his material. One of them became infamously known as the Dead Dog tape, for his ranting on going out of an upbeat song and following it up with a melancholy Long Distance Dedication to, of course, a dead dog named Snuggles. The other concerned the band U2, with whom Kasem wasn't all that impressed.

Both tapes ended up in the hands of Negativland, an experimental band that could have only come out of San Francisco. They edited the tapes and set them to a kazoo cover of U2's "Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For," calling the finished sound collage "U2." U2's record label (without U2's consent, mind you) sued Negativland for violating intellectual property rights; the suit was later dropped.

Here's Negativland (featuring Casey Kasem) with "U2."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z6gPSSYxex0

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #181 on: April 18, 2013, 10:07:58 pm »
Ah, shock rock. I could fill this thread from the genre alone.

Today's entry is known for short as AxCx, which is short for an extremely obscene phrase. Obscenity was this band's specialty, and they usually named their songs with sentences that (much like the Westboro Baptist Church) were designed to be as ridiculously provocative as possible. As far as musical talent... well... it's here, isn't it? The band admitted sending its music to critics specifically to get bad reviews.

The lead singer died in 2011. In keeping with the band's ethos, I will assume there was much rejoicing.

Here's one of their tamer songs... "Beat Les."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=g2qmdXDG9wc

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #182 on: April 19, 2013, 05:24:50 pm »
A few days ago, I featured a song that combined admirable songwriting with extremely poor execution (Macy Gray's "I Try"). Today's entry in the Jukebox from Hell is the exact opposite-- great production on a lousy song.

The Turtles were one of the big American bands of the mid-to-late 1960s, buoyed in part by the huge success of their sunshine pop single, "Happy Together." The record company, for the next several years, pressured the band to follow up that hit with another, similar tune. The Turtles, however, were somewhat irked, and wanted to be more experimental. They decided to record a concept album, The Turtles Present the Battle of the Bands, in which the band would pose as many different acts performing a wide variety of genera, ranging from hard rock to psychedelic to surfer music. One of the acts was Howie, Mark, Johnny, Jim and Al (the names of the band members), which served the record company with their reply: a follow-up sunshine pop tune with the hammiest, cheesiest lyrics they could come up with. They had a blast recording it (as this clip shows) and produced it so slickly that it eventually became a hit anyway, one of The Turtles' last.

Two of the Turtles ended up joining Frank Zappa and took on the name Flo and Eddie. They're still performing today.

Ladies and gentlemen of the Briefing Room, I present for your listening pleasure The Turtles with "Elenore" (sic).

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8O4TqdhtDJQ

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #183 on: May 02, 2013, 12:00:16 am »
For hundreds of years, classical music composers strove to make music that you wanted to listen to. Whether it was the interweaving fugues of Baroque music, the simple compositions of the Classic, the dramatic and powerful tunes of the Romantic, or even the delightfully complex Impressionist era, there were certain expectations to be made when you composed music.

For some odd reason, in the 20th century, all of that went out the window. All of a sudden, the rage among highbrow music composers was to be as experimental and as bizarre as humanly possible. It didn't need to even sound right-- in fact, the more of an affront it was to the senses, the better. Deconstruction became the norm: anything that could be changed from perceived norms, from instrumentation, to tuning, to timing, became fair game. The result was a lot of crap.

Today's entry in the Jukebox from Hell is perhaps one of the most notorious pieces to come out of contemporary classical music. It was composed by the late John Cage. In a move sure to have made Jerry Seinfeld proud many years later, this composition is composed entirely of... nothing. Well, not precisely nothing, but as little sound as humanly possible. You see, Cage composed it solely to prove a point: we are surrounded by sound, and the piece is designed to bring attention to that background noise.

It's also quite possibly the laziest composition imaginable, which is why I feature it here. In yet another one of those bizarre Christmas number-one campaigns, this piece finished at #21 on the UK Singles Chart back in 2011, a position much lower than originally anticipated. So, ladies and gentlemen, here is John Cage with 4'33".

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gN2zcLBr_VM

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #184 on: May 02, 2013, 01:33:18 am »
Because I missed a few days (I was looking for a song called "Do It Like a Dog" by Dean Milan that has apparently been completely scrubbed off the World Wide Web, believe it or not) and I'm not sure I will remember this one tomorrow, I'm going to double up tonight.

The artist in tomorrow's entry began her career as a member of the folk group The New Christy Minstrels. She also had an extensive career as a songwriter and, although her Wikipedia bio doesn't seem to mention it, I believe she also did some novelty songs. However, this song (which she didn't even write; it was originally done by Jackie DeShannon) is the one that has made her the most famous. Like the aforementioned Macy Gray, she doesn't have much of a voice, and she's even worse at staying on pitch than Gray is. Her arrangement of this song is strange to put it mildly (she and the producers didn't even understand some of the words), and the result of this giant train wreck still managed to top the charts in several countries. At least Bette Davis, the indirect subject of the song, was flattered by the piece.

Ladies and gentlemen of the Briefing Room, here is tomorrow's entry in the Jukebox from Hell... Kim Carnes with "Bette Davis Eyes."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EPOIS5taqA8
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 01:34:46 am by jmyrlefuller »

Offline 69FenderStrat

• my band
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #185 on: May 02, 2013, 11:42:59 pm »
worst cover ever! *the final count down*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjeMDvCdrtc&feature=youtu.be
Faith is not believing God can
Faith is Knowing God Will

"Senators more than House members & both more than ordinary people, lie."

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #186 on: May 06, 2013, 10:30:31 pm »
It's my intention this week to do another theme week. This one is Television Musicals week. Over the past five decades, many have tried, usually unsuccessfully, to combine theatrical musicals with the medium of television. It turns out that television audiences have never really cared for people breaking out into song in the middle of a dialogue.

The first entry in TV Musicals Week comes from a very short-lived musical series known as Viva Laughlin. It lasted all of two episodes. Perhaps that's because not only was it a cheesy show, but the popular music tracks the show used still had the original artists' vocal tracks intact. The end result was that the actors were singing over-top of the original singers as if they were singing along with their car stereo.

Anyway, here is one of the songs from Viva Laughlin... Lloyd Owen singing and dancing along, an octave low, to Elton John's "I'm Still Standing." (The clip is from The Soup, hence the interruptions and snarky comments.)

http://youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwrel&v=eNmgOIjZJXQ
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 11:15:19 pm by jmyrlefuller »

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #187 on: May 06, 2013, 11:33:58 pm »
Three entries in this category from the hit series Scrubs. Scrubs frequently included and wove music, both from the staff and as a background, into the plot of an episode as an indispensable part of the show. No discussion of modern musicals in terms of television episodes would be complete without a mention of this ground breaking show.

I enjoyed the series very much until the writers strike cause it to take a 90 degree turn into mediocrity. The series had just about run out of steam by then anyway.

The first entry outlines the overt and intentionally ambiguous relationship between J.D. and Turk. The second is an homage to musical artcraft. While it is technically well done, in my humble opinion, I didn't quite care for it so much. It lacked the scathing, sort of, deeply personal comedy which really marked the series and which I had become accustomed. The third demostrates a background singer enhancing the mood of the episode.

Anyway, if you enjoy musicals, you will more than likely like these two tidbits. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxbROMQTjKg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1cWzosA218

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHTJMBbxGTU
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 12:03:39 am by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #188 on: May 08, 2013, 02:16:28 am »
You would think a man with a pedigree like Steven Bochco would know better than to produce a show like the one I am going to feature in Day 2 of TV Musicals Week. After all, he is the man responsible for the hits Hill Street Blues and later NYPD Blue. Alas, that does not seem to be the case. This 1990 stinker was called Cop Rock. It lasted 11 episodes, and its main characteristic was that its cast of characters had a notorious habit of breaking out into, often inappropriate, song and dance in the middle of dialogue. For instance, a courtroom scene would have a jury foreman transforming the jury into a gospel choir in a rendition of a song called "He's Guilty," or a police lineup would bust out into a hip-hop piece crying racist.

Here's a piece of music from the series that fairly accurately portrays how absurd the series was. From the series Cop Rock, here's "Baby Merchant."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bk5MM9BjYuw

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #189 on: May 08, 2013, 10:50:44 pm »
Day 3 of Television Musicals Week brings us to perhaps one of the most bizarre combinations of genera imaginable.

In this clip, from late 1977, you have Donny Osmond as Luke Skywalker... Marie Osmond as Princess Leia... Kris Kristofferson as Han Solo... and a group of Song-and-Dance Storm Troupe-rs singing Motown. It is apparently an adaptation of the film Star Wars. Donny and Marie were, at the time, hosts of a variety show on ABC. Although it was a major hit, it was also produced by Sid and Marty Krofft, two of the most infamous producers in children's television, and the show featured much of the bizarre absurdity that the Kroffts, along with then-ABC president Fred Silverman, would try to replicate. (It was that replication that turned Silverman into a laughingstock, with flops such as The Brady Bunch Hour and Pink Lady and Jeff built heavily on the Krofft formula.)

Ladies and gentlemen, from the TV show Donny & Marie, here is a Star Wars-inspired version of the Temptations/Rare Earth hit, "Get Ready."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pLTI3lejhGg

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #190 on: May 10, 2013, 02:44:15 am »
There were two segues I could have chosen for Day 4 of Television Musicals Week, The Star Wars Holiday Special or The Brady Bunch Hour. I chose the latter.

Yesterday I mentioned that Fred Silverman and Sid and Marty Krofft used the template from their hit variety show Donny & Marie to produce a number of lousy imitators. The Brady Bunch Hour was perhaps one of the most infamous. Silverman had never even asked permission from the copyright owners of The Brady Bunch before putting this limited-run series of variety specials into production. (They later consented anyway.) The Brady kids had now aged seven years since the debut of the original sitcom. At least one of them, Eve Plumb (Jan), refused to participate and was recast; also added to the cast was Rip Taylor, who played a manager and (along with Ann Davis, who reprised her Alice role) served as comic relief.

Each episode ended with a huge finale. Now, the Brady Bunch had a little bit of experience in music (a couple episodes of the original sitcom have them as a band, in an attempt to capitalize on The Partridge Family's multimedia success) but were not professional musicians. They weren't at fault in tonight's entry. This medley includes people in duck suits and covers of covers of songs (at one point, they sing la-las to the aforementioned Disco Lucy, see "Disco Week"  a few months back). Needless to say, it is truly bizarre television and equally bizarre music.

Here is the Brady Bunch with a disco medley.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gR9u9efiNvg

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #191 on: May 17, 2013, 09:52:49 pm »
Day 5 of Television Musicals Week (let's just pretend I hopped in a TARDIS and skipped a week ahead) is going overseas.

This past week was the Eurovision Song Contest, a contest where all of the countries in Europe nominate a musical act (either a singer or a band), send them to one place, and have them sing in a contest for all of Europe to see on TV; then they choose a winner. Since the late 1990s, bands have been free to choose whatever language they want to sing (although they must sing; that's what differentiates a "song" from a "composition"). Most choose English. However, the often strange nature of European music combined with many performers' poor grasp of the language has proven itself a fitting target for satire.

This piece illustrates that pretty well. I have been looking for months to find a way to fit this parody into this thread, and now here is my excuse. Nul points for this entry in the Jukebox from Hell... "Supersonik Elektronik" by Zlad.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kKO9h-gG4Qg

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #192 on: May 21, 2013, 01:02:56 am »
Here is the Star Wars Holiday Special...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MmpJ9zQvEVA

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #193 on: June 09, 2013, 08:40:36 pm »
Today's entry in the Jukebox from Hell is, perhaps somewhat surprisingly, the only top-40 hit that country superstar Garth Brooks has ever had in his entire career.

The story behind it is that Brooks, at the time near the height of his popularity, had been cast as the lead in a movie named The Lamb, which would have chronicled a fictional pop-rock star by the name of Chris Gaines. As a tie-in to the film, Brooks recorded an album purporting to be Gaines's greatest hits. He appears on the album and in the music video in a black emo wig and Nehru jacket with strategic lighting to make Gaines look as little like Garth as possible.

The film ended up never being made, so the album ended up a concept album, with Brooks appearing in a couple TV shows "with" Gaines to promote the album.

(If you want another Garth Brooks candidate for the Jukebox from Hell, look up "That Summer," a song about an old lady, um, taking advantage, if you know what I mean, of the teenage help she takes in for the summer. The local country station plays it pretty often and it always creeped me out.)

Here is Chris Gaines with "Lost in You."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CObmRzakik8

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #194 on: June 19, 2013, 06:49:13 pm »
There are few greater indictments of one's musical talents than the next entry in the Jukebox from Hell. In the 1996 movie Mars Attacks!, this song was used to kill off invading Martians by, quite literally, making their heads explode into blobs of green goo.

The performer of this song, Slim Whitman, died yesterday at the age of 89.

Here is the late Slim Whitman with "Indian Love Call."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD77Pd_5-vo

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #195 on: June 21, 2013, 02:34:16 pm »
I only found out about this band from their incessant efforts to spam Wikipedia.

Ladies and gentlemen, on the eve of the one-year anniversary of the Jukebox from Hell, I present Grand Reefer with a take on Yip Harburg and Harold Arlen's "Ding! Dong! The Witch Is Dead!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smYhMkqV3DY

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #196 on: June 22, 2013, 02:00:58 pm »
Today marks the one-year anniversary of the Jukebox from Hell, a thread started by Chieftain back before he (EDIT: fixed) stormed off in a fury over posting Tweets on the threads.

The first song Chieftain featured on the Jukebox from Hell was from a guy named Klaus Nomi, a gay German countertenor with a wicked falsetto. He achieved underground fame in the New York City area in the late 1970s and early 1980s, even producing a couple of music videos, including today's entry. His performances range from Renaissance opera to totally bizarre covers of music ranging from the 1930s to 1960s and a few original compositions by his (business) partner, Kristian Hoffman. Nomi died of AIDS related illness in 1983.

If you ever want to tick off a redneck, offer to play "Simple Man." He will think it is Skynyrd... and be sorely disappointed.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gFaZyHxQGYQ
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 11:20:32 am by jmyrlefuller »

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #197 on: June 22, 2013, 03:02:35 pm »
Today marks the one-year anniversary of the Jukebox from Hell, a thread started by Chieftain back before she stormed off in a fury over posting Tweets on the threads.

Wasn't Chiefain a male....who liked to piss off neighbors and build sheds? :whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #198 on: June 23, 2013, 11:19:45 am »

Wasn't Chiefain a male....who liked to piss off neighbors and build sheds? :whistle:
I thought there had been some sort indication that Chieftain was a "she" (but I could be wrong)... and yes, he did like to piss off neighbors and build sheds, in fact, I believe that was the inspiration for this thread.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #199 on: June 24, 2013, 06:22:16 pm »
Nothing good can come from a guy whose best-known nickname is Parrotface.

OK, that's not quite true... British comic Freddie Davies, the performer of today's entry in the Jukebox from Hell, actually recorded a couple of decent ballads, and although they were never hits in any English-speaking country, much less his own, they were fairly popular in South America. (I'll feature those in The Juke Box.) This is not one of those ballads.

Once again, I won't spoil too much about this song because an element of surprise is part of its appeal, but I present today Freddie "Parrotface" Davies with "Sentimental Songs."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cBMTW7HS6i8