Author Topic: Wit and Wisdom of Baseball  (Read 8465 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Wit and Wisdom of Baseball
« on: May 27, 2012, 11:59:31 am »
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1004/mlb.baseball.wit.and.wisdom/content.1.html?sct=mlb_bf4_a6

JIM BOUTON: "You spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time."

PETE ROSE: "I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball."

DIZZY DEAN:  "The good Lord was good to me. He gave me a strong body, a good right arm and a weak mind."

BOB UECKER:  "The way to catch a knuckleball is to wait until it stops rolling and then pick it up."   

VIN SCULLY: "Andre Dawson has a bruised knee and is listed as day-to-day...Aren't we all?"

more at: sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1004/mlb.baseball.wit.and.wisdom/content.1.html

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

famousdayandyear

Re: Wit and Wisdom of Baseball
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 06:54:31 pm »
The pitcher has to find out if the hitter is timid.  And if the hitter is timid, he has to remind the hitter he's timid.  ~Don Drysdale, quoted in New York Times, 9 July 1979

It ain't like football.  You can't make up no trick plays.  ~Yogi Berra

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 07:38:03 pm »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 07:44:18 pm »

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 07:50:25 pm »

Amazing Ball girl catch

Amazing catch.....by THE BALL GIRL!!!

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 07:54:34 pm »

famousdayandyear

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 08:02:47 pm »

my mother was at this game:  1956 World Series (Yankees 2, Dodgers 0)

Times Talk - Don Larsen, Yogi Berra and Bob Wolff

famousdayandyear

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 08:13:36 pm »
Ryan pounds Ventura with his pitching hand

Nolan Ryan Beats Up Robin Ventura

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 08:21:53 pm »
my mother was at this game:  1956 World Series (Yankees 2, Dodgers 0)

Times Talk - Don Larsen, Yogi Berra and Bob Wolff

I watched that game....as a ten year old boy sitting on my living room floor in front of a 13 inch black and white Admiral television set.

I can still "see" Yogi jumping into Larson's arms and even then it didn't surprise me that became an iconic moment.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 08:23:12 pm »
Ryan pounds Ventura with his pitching hand

Nolan Ryan Beats Up Robin Ventura

ROFL!!  I saw that one too!

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2012, 08:25:03 pm »
Isn't it the best game ever created?    :beer:

famousdayandyear

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2012, 08:40:33 pm »
"Sometimes if you still have a vestigial appetite for vivid detail, for the human face as it runs through the spectrum of emotions, it might be wise to head for the ballpark. . . .Whether it be a crusty debate among weathered ushers in the Motor City or a mob of pretzel munchers in the belly of Comiskey Park, the ballpark is still the place to go if you want to see people as they are.
  Here we find that we are still a nation of countless shades and shapes, heartening and hearty.  Orwell's fears have made little headway at the ballpark.  There we still find it easy to remember where we are and why we came."

--Thomas Boswell "Why Time Begins on Opening Day" (1984)

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2012, 08:49:35 pm »
"No game in the world is as tidy and dramatically neat as baseball,
with cause and effect, crime and punishment,
motive and result, so cleanly defined."
-- Paul Gallico

famousdayandyear

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2012, 08:52:58 pm »
Isn't it the best game ever created?    :beer:

For sure.  Keeps me sane listening to the AM broadcast of our Carolina League team the Mudcats howlin

The ballgirl's catch was incredible--she actually climbed the wall with her feet
Vin Scully epitomizes the game for me
In the highlights vid, that double play near the end is just about the best I ever saw

famousdayandyear

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2012, 09:00:05 pm »
I was thinking about this one time:

The way the game is designed, there is no time clock;the innings could theoretically go on forever
An individual inning could last how long
An 'at bat' could also continue till the end of time or until the three collapsed
The foul/fair lines could conceivably extend to infinity without grandstand/wall constraints

just sayin

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2012, 09:12:24 pm »

"You gotta be a man to play baseball for a living, but you gotta have a lot of little boy in you."
-- Roy Campanella

"One of the beautiful things about baseball is that every once in a while you come into a situation where you want
to, and where you have to, reach down and prove something."

-- Nolan Ryan

"If I were playing third base and my mother were rounding third with the run that was going to beat us, I'd trip her.
Oh, I'd pick her up and brush her off and say, 'Sorry Mom, but nobody beats me."
-- Leo Durocher

"The hardest thing to do in baseball is to hit a round baseball with a round bat, squarely."
-- Ted Williams

"I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter;
that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit."
--Tim McCarver

"Trying to hit him (Phil Niekro) was like trying to eat Jell-O with chopsticks."
-- Bobby Murcer, Yankees outfielder

"Why certainly I'd like to have that fellow who hits a home run every time at bat, who strikes out every opposing
batter when he's pitching, who throws strikes to any base or the plate when he's playing outfield and who's always
thinking about two innings ahead just what he'll do to baffle the other team. Any manager would want a guy like
that playing for him. The only trouble is to get him to put down his cup of beer and come down out of the stands
and do those things."
-- Danny Murtaugh, manager

"When you're in a slump, It's almost as if you look out at the field and it's one big glove."
-- Vance Law

"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics.
You don't have to wait for the reviews."
-- Sandy Koufax

"Nothing flatters me more than to have it assumed that I could write prose-unless it be to have it assumed that I
once pitched a baseball with distinction."

-- Robert Frost

"When we lost I couldn't sleep at night. When we win I can't sleep at night. But when you win, you wake up feeling
better."
-- Joe Torre

"Baseball reflected the language of America, and spiced it, too. Presidents, politicians, executives, generals and
parents touched all the bases regularly so that nobody would be out in left field or caught off the base in the
greater pursuits of life. If you did it right, you hit a grand slam home run; if not you struck out."

-- Joseph Durso

"Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again.
That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is."
-- Bob Feller

All I want out of life, is that when I walk down the street folks will say, "There goes the greatest hitter that ever
lived."

--Ted Williams

"A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz."
-- Humphrey Bogart

"The other sports are just sports. Baseball is a love."
-- Bryant Gumbel

"If a man can beat you, walk him."
-- Satchel Paige

You look forward to it like a birthday party when you're a kid. You think something wonderful is going to happen.
-- Joe DiMaggio, on Opening Day

Slump ? I ain't in no slump. I just ain't hittin.
-- Yogi Berra

We're supposed to be perfect our first day on the job and then show constant improvement.
-- Ed Vargo, major league baseball umpire

Baseball is 90% mental, the other half is physical
-- Yogi Berra

"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's
life without even considering if there is a man on base."

-- Dave Barry

You teach me baseball and I'll teach you relativity...No we must not You will learn about relativity faster than I
learn baseball.
-- Albert Einstein

Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalised for too many
players on the field

-- Jim Boulton

Hitting is 50% above the shoulders.
-- Ted Williams

I never thought home runs were all that exciting. I still think the triple is the most exciting thing in baseball. To me,
a triple is like a guy taking the ball on his 1-yard line and running 99 yards for a touchdown.

-- Hank Aaron

I used to love to come to the ballpark. Now I hate it. Every day becomes a little tougher because of all this. Writers,
tape recorders, microphones, cameras, questions and more questions. Roger Maris lost his hair the season he hit
sixty-one. I still have all my hair, but when it's over, I'm going home to Mobile and fish for a long time.
-- Hank Aaron as he closed in on Babe Ruth's career home run record

Mickey meant an awful lot to me. He was a tremendous athlete. People didn't understand him the way they should
have. He played 10 years on one leg. But more than that, he was a tremendous person.

-- Hank Aaron on Mickey Mantle

I had just turned 20, and Jackie told me the only way to be successful at anything was to go out and do it. He said
baseball was a game you played every day, not once a week.
-- Hank Aaron on Jackie Robinson

He's been very talkative. But it is usually under oath.
-- Sandy Alderson, on Albert Belle

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
-- Larry Andersen

Since baseball time is measured only in outs, all you have to do is succeed utterly; keep hitting, keep the rally alive,
and you have defeated time. You remain forever young
-- Roger Angell

Trying to sneak a fastball past Hank Aaron is like trying to sneak the sunrise past a rooster.
-- Joe Adcock

I'm beginning to see Brooks [Robinson] in my sleep. If I dropped a paper plate, he'd pick it up on one hop and throw
me out at first.

-- Sparky Anderson

That's why I don't talk. Because I talk too much.
-- Joquin Andujar

There's one word that describes baseball -- 'You never know.'
-- Joquin Andujar

He's like an amusement-park ride - Even for guys who play.
-- Ruben Amaro on Mark McGwire

"Baseball is dull only to dull minds."
-- Red Barber

"Jimmy Connors plays two tennis matches and winds up with $850,000, and Muhammad Ali fights for one bout and
winds up with five million bucks. Me, I play 190 games--if you count exhibitions -- and I'm overpaid!"
-- Johnny Bench

"I was thinking of making a comeback until I pulled a muscle - vacuuming."
-- Johnny Bench

A ballplayer spends a good piece of his life gripping a baseball, and in the end it turns out that it was the other way
around all the time."
-- Jim Bouton

"If I stay healthy, I have a chance to collect three thousand hits and one thousand errors."
-- George Brett

"Show me a guy who's afraid to look bad and I'll show you a guy you can beat every time."
-- Lou Brock

"I can sit in a ballpark after a game and love looking at the field. Everybody's gone, and the ballpark is empty, and I'll
sit there. I sit there and think, 'Is this as close to heaven as I'm going to get?' Or, 'If I get to heaven, will there be
baseball?"

-- Kim Braatz-Voisard

Don Baylor, New York Yankees DH, on Billy Martin and his predecessor Yogi Berra:
"Playing for Yogi is like playing for your father; playing for Billy is like playing for your father-in-law."

"You mix two jiggers of scotch to one jigger of Metrecal. So far I've lost five pounds and my driver's license."
-- Rocky Bridges, minor league manager, on his new diet drink

"It's a good thing I stayed in Cincinnati for four years -- It took me that long to learn how to spell it."
-- Rocky Bridges

"Coaching third with a pitcher on base is like being a member of a bomb disposal squad. The thing could blow up in
your face at any moment."

-- Rocky Bridges

"I prefer fast food."
-- Rocky Bridges, on why he won't eat snails

"Kids today are looking for idols, but sometimes they look too far... They don't have to look any farther than their
home because those are the people that love you. They are the real heroes."

-- Bobby Bonilla

"Every member of our baseball team at West Point became a general: this proves the value of team sports."
-- Gen. Omar Bradley

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

famousdayandyear

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2012, 09:51:12 pm »
"This ain't football.  We do this everyday"  -- unkown

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2012, 10:52:49 pm »
To show you what a class act Nolan Ryan is:

For the last ten years, one of the pre-game highlights at The BallPark at Arlington was Ryan pounding on Ventura.

Well, Ventura is now the manager of the Chicago White Sox.  So, before the White Sox visited Arlington this year, Ryan (now the President of the Texas Rangers) asked that that highlight be removed, permanently, from the pre-game festivities.

Revenge is best served cold, in baseball, on the field by pounding the opposition.  Texas swept the Toronto Blue Jays this weekend, winning today 12-6.  The Sox are doing OK, but they're second to Cleveland.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2012, 11:04:38 pm »
I was in a slump once, and Casey Stengel says "Go up there and think about what you're doing."  I said "Case,  how the hell can you hit and think at the same time?"
--Yogi Berra

That's the way baseball go.
--Ron Washington

Chuck Tanner: "When I first became a manager, I asked Chuck for advice. He told me, 'Always rent.' "
--Tony LaRussa

« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 11:11:24 pm by sinkspur »

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2012, 11:07:52 pm »
The Man who ran around the bases backward--Jimmy Piersall

http://www.centerfieldmaz.com/2011/11/man-who-ran-around-bases-backwards.html

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2012, 11:32:02 pm »
Baseball is the most beautiful, most elegant game ever devised.  Here are some great Bob Uecker quotes:

“You know, everybody remembers their first game in the major leagues. For me it was in Milwaukee. My hometown, born and raised there, and I can remember walking out on the field and Birdie Tebbetts was our manager at that time. And my family was there: my mother and dad, and all my relatives. And as I’m standing on the field, everybody’s pointing at me and waving and laughing, and I’m pointing back. And Birdie Tebbetts came up and asked me if I was nervous or uptight about the game. And I said, ‘I’m not. I’ve been waiting five years to get here. I’m ready to go.’
He said, ‘Well, we’re gonna start you today. I didn’t want to tell you earlier. I didn’t want you to get too fired up.’
I said, ‘Look, I’m ready to go.’
He said, ‘Well, great, you’re in there. And oh, by the by, the rest of us up here wear that supporter on the inside.’ That was the first game my folks walked out on, too.”

“When I came up to bat with three men on and two outs in the ninth, I looked in the other team’s dugout and they were already in street clothes.”

“People don’t know this but I helped the Cardinals win the pennant. I came down with hepatitis. The trainer injected me with it.”

“I signed with the Milwaukee Braves for three-thousand dollars. That bothered my dad at the time because he didn’t have that kind of dough. But he eventually scraped it up.”

“When I looked to the third base coach for a sign, he turned his back on me.”

“The biggest thrill a ballplayer can have is when your son takes after you. That happened when my Bobby was in his championship Little League game. He really showed me something. Struck out three times. Made an error that lost the game. Parents were throwing things at our car and swearing at us as we drove off. Gosh, I was proud.”

“I didn’t get a lot of awards as a player. But they did have a Bob Uecker Day Off for me once in Philly.”

“Sporting goods companies pay me not to endorse their products.”

“I hit a grand slam off Ron Herbel and when his manager Herman Franks came out to get him, he was bringing Herbel’s suitcase.”

“The highlight of my career? In ’67 with St. Louis, I walked with the bases loaded to drive in the winning run in an intersquad game in spring training.”
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2012, 11:34:14 pm »
Hey Sink!

All these many years we've been on the forums....I would have put money up that you were a avid baseball fan.   

Not a surprise at all.    :beer:

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2012, 11:36:52 pm »
“When I came up to bat with three men on and two outs in the ninth, I looked in the other team’s dugout and they were already in street clothes.”

“I hit a grand slam off Ron Herbel and when his manager Herman Franks came out to get him, he was bringing Herbel’s suitcase.”

Lando!  My eyes are watering heavy from  laughter!    :beer:
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 11:40:38 pm by DCPatriot »

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2012, 11:41:33 pm »
Al Kaline... one of my two favorite players of all time.

Ernie Harwell on Al Kaline
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2012, 11:45:25 pm »
The Man who ran around the bases backward--Jimmy Piersall

http://www.centerfieldmaz.com/2011/11/man-who-ran-around-bases-backwards.html

I remember once when the manager came out to make a pitching change, Jimmy Persall went out and sat at the flagpole while the new pitcher was coming in from the bullpen.

Back then the pitcher slowed walked, carrying his glove and jacket....where the bat boy didn't touch that jacket until he reached the infield.

Today, they get driven in a golf cart.