Author Topic: I'll Have Another wins Kentucky Derby & Now Preakness, Too!  (Read 2566 times)

Offline Rapunzel

http://msn.foxsports.com/horseracing/story/Ill-Have-Another-wins-Kentucky-Derby-050512/

I'll Have Another wins Kentucky Derby
Mario Gutierrez celebrates aboard I'll Have Another after winning the Kentucky Derby.

Updated May 5, 2012 10:44 PM ET

I'll Have Another didn't seem to have the goods to win the Kentucky Derby.

Sold as a yearling for a paltry $11,000, ridden by a rookie jockey hardly anyone knew and stuck in an outside post no horse had ever won from — not exactly a blueprint for success at Churchill Downs.

But with the finish line in sight, the chestnut colt overtook highly regarded Bodemeister in the final furlong Saturday to make a name for himself and rider Mario Gutierrez.

I'll Have Another stormed out of post No. 19 — the first winner from there in 138 runnings of the Derby — and bided his time back in mid-pack while Bodemeister set a blistering pace on a hot, muggy afternoon.

''He's an amazing horse. I kept telling everybody, from the first time I met him, I knew he was the one. I knew he was good,'' Gutierrez said. ''I said in an interview, even if they allowed me to pick from the whole rest of the field, I would have stayed with him, 100 percent, no doubt about it.''

Gutierrez, making his Derby debut at 25, got his chance to ride I'll Have Another after trainer Doug O'Neill and owner J. Paul Reddam just happened to see him win a race at Santa Anita in Southern California.

It was another chapter in his unusual route to the Derby winner's circle. He followed in his father's footsteps as a jockey, getting on quarterhorses in Veracruz, Mexico, at 14. After a stint in Canada, he eventually started getting noticed on the West Coast, especially after he won the Santa Anita Derby.

Still, he was largely a mystery to the record crowd of 165,307, who didn't know 15-1 shot I'll Have Another or the jockey had the right stuff until the 20-horse field turned for home. That's when Gutierrez, who moved up between horses around the final turn, positioned his colt not far from the rail and set him down to run.

I'll Have Another overhauled a tiring Bodemeister to win by 1-1/2 lengths. He returned $32.60 on a $2 win bet. He ran 1-1/4 miles in 2 minutes, 1.83 seconds.

Bodemeister, trained by three-time Derby winner Bob Baffert, was second as the 4-1 favorite. Dullahan was a neck back in third.

O'Neill didn't waste any time vowing that I'll Have Another will go on to the Preakness in two weeks.

''Maryland, here we come baby!'' he said.

I'll Have Another made his way to the starting gate accompanied by his stable pony, Lava Man, another cheap purchase turned into a career winner of more than $5 million by O'Neill. The trainer has made his name predominantly in Southern California, although he's won three Breeders' Cup races.

One of his best horses, Steviewonderboy, was the winter favorite for the 2006 Derby before being sidelined by injuries early that year.

A hot pace was anticipated from speedster Trinniberg, although surprisingly it was Bodemeister under jockey Mike Smith who blazed to the front and forced Trinniberg to take a backseat. In the late afternoon heat, Bodemeister set impossibly fast fractions. He ran the opening quarter-mile in 22.32 seconds and the half-mile in 45.39.

SADDLE UP
Time after time, Hollywood has shown a racetrack is a great place to tell a compelling story. We look at 10 must-see horse racing movies.

''I told Mike, `Look, if he breaks great and feels like running, we can win it,'' said Baffert, who had a heart attack in Dubai five weeks ago. ''That's the only time I've run second where I've been happy because he ran his race.''

Meanwhile, I'll Have Another was comfortably galloping along behind the blazing speed. Gutierrez angled his colt clear on the final turn and took dead-aim at Bodemeister, who was clearly in front at the top of the stretch.

''I knew we were in trouble when I saw Doug's horse coming,'' said Smith, who won the Derby with 50-1 shot Giacomo in 2005.

Went the Day Well finished fourth, followed by Creative Cause, Liaison, 5-1 second choice Union Rags, Rousing Sermon, Hansen, Daddy Nose Best and Optimizer.

Alpha was 12th, followed by El Padrino, Done Talking, Sabercat, 8-1 third choice Gemologist, Trinniberg, Prospective, Take Charge Indy and last-place Daddy Long Legs.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 10:26:10 pm by Rapunzel »
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

Re: I'll Have Another wins Kentucky Derby
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 07:32:53 am »
It was a good race, I was hoping Bodiemeister would win it, but the pace was so fast that he set and he just tired at the end and the winning horse came on strong and was still going at the win... the win wasn't bad for a young jockey and a horse that was purchased for $35,000......

Kentucky Derby 2012
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 10:25:35 pm »
I'll Have Another wins Preakness!  Now can he win the Triple Crown!!!!!!!!   :beer:

famousdayandyear

Re: I'll Have Another wins Kentucky Derby & Now Preakness, Too!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 11:05:25 pm »
Is there video of the Preakness?

Offline Rapunzel

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 04:29:19 pm »
I'll Have Another wins Preakness!  Now can he win the Triple Crown!!!!!!!!   :beer:

I'd say he has a decent shot. His strength is coming on strong at the end while the pacesetters tire out, which is a real strength for a long course like Belmont.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 08:11:09 pm »
I'd say he has a decent shot. His strength is coming on strong at the end while the pacesetters tire out, which is a real strength for a long course like Belmont.

Yep... but supposedly there is two or three horses scheduled to run Belmont who sat out Derby and Preakness so they will be rested, which begs the question -- which is better rested or train, train, train.. which is what they did Secretariat to prepare him for the gruel of Belmont when he won the triple crown.