Author Topic: Big List of Why Online Communities Fail & How to Avoid It - Part 1 of 4  (Read 1682 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
I came across this article and I thought it would be great for this community, especially as it seems everyone here actually cares about it growing. Don't worry, I did email a mod first for permission to post this as I didn't want to come across as the pretentious noob trying to run things. Just for information.

http://info.socious.com/bid/42755/Big-List-of-Why-Online-Communities-Fail-How-to-Avoid-It-Part-1-of-4

Over the next several weeks, I’ll outline over 30 of the primary reasons that private online communities fail and what companies and nonprofit organizations can do to avoid the same fate. These pitfalls and lessons are mainly rooted in our research and experience over the past 10 years providing enterprise online community software to organizations ranging from large associations to Fortune 500 companies.

Category 1: Strategy and Goals

To kick off this project, lets look at the beginning of the online community planning process. The following are 12 strategy and goal-related reasons why private online communities fail:

Note--- I see a lot of things FR has done wrong based on this series of articles. Many of their issues came about over time. I also see a lot of problems many spin-off sites have done that hasn't happened here.

Offline Rapunzel

Thanks for posting, interesting info.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online mountaineer

#12) Not Having Measurable Goals
Is "Saving the Republic" measurable enough?    whistle
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org