Author Topic: TOMBSTONE - and the Western Genre  (Read 67306 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: TOMBSTONE - and the Western Genre
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2013, 10:01:05 pm »
Glad you appreciate the thread, MUD!   :patriot:

Grew up as a boy watching the villain getting caught and/or killed by the "good guys", all in a span of 30 to 60 minutes tops!  No cursing, no sex, no gaping wounds.   LOL!

That's why Sam Peckinpah's The Wild Bunch was a shock to the senses.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2013, 10:15:04 pm »
I remember years ago reading an interesting commentary on Scott's westerns, or at least one of them, in which the author praised Scott's character for standing for what was right in the face of the relativism expressed by another character; something to the effect of choosing what is the right course and pursuing it to the end, whatever the outcome. I only wish I could recall where I read it so I could possibly find it (everything being on the net these days) and repost it here. Damn good article.

Aso, "The Wild Bunch" is one of my favorite all time films and I think Holden was perfect as the gang's leader. Another western on my favorite list is "Vera Cruz" with Gary Cooper and Burt Lancaster. Both films, in their own way, deal with the concept of honor.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2013, 10:23:30 pm »
I remember years ago reading an interesting commentary on Scott's westerns, or at least one of them, in which the author praised Scott's character for standing for what was right in the face of the relativism expressed by another character; something to the effect of choosing what is the right course and pursuing it to the end, whatever the outcome. I only wish I could recall where I read it so I could possibly find it (everything being on the net these days) and repost it here. Damn good article.

Aso, "The Wild Bunch" is one of my favorite all time films and I think Holden was perfect as the gang's leader. Another western on my favorite list is "Vera Cruz" with Gary Cooper and Burt Lancaster. Both films, in their own way, deal with the concept of honor.

It's really why I wanted to resurrect the thread today.....it seems men with steel rod backbones and honor are in short supply today.

Also....the gun tamed the West.   The entire country needs 'taming' again.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2013, 10:29:44 pm »
I hope this applies to this thread...but my fav western has to be The Searchers....

Also gave us a British Rock Band, the SEARCHERS of "Needles and Pins" fame, and the title of a #1 rock 'n roll record - "That'll Be the Day", based on one of the Duke's lines  [Buddy Holly was in the audience for a showing].  :smokin:
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2013, 11:06:16 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiAg-P62ptk

FIRECREEK - 1968

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062975/

This one was playing on cable last weekend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firecreek

Firecreek is a 1968 western movie[2] directed by Vincent McEveety and starring James Stewart and Henry Fonda in his second role as an antagonist that year. The film is similar to High Noon in that it features an entire town refusing to help a peace officer against outlaws, showing no backbone. Stewart plays an unlikely hero, forced into action when his conscience will not permit evil to continue.

Stewart and Fonda's first film together had been the musical comedy On Our Merry Way two decades earlier, and they made The Cheyenne Social Club two years after Firecreek. They had also both appeared in How the West Was Won but had no scenes together despite playing best friends.

After years of backing away from criminals and gunfights, one resident of the small western town of Firecreek decides to fight back. Part-time sheriff Johnny Cobb (James Stewart) decides to avenge the death of a young man against gunmen led by Bob Larkin (Henry Fonda).

Cobb has a lot on his mind, particularly with his wife Henrietta (Jacqueline Scott) is about to give birth. He is a peace-loving farmer whose childishly made sheriff's badge is practically an honorary one.

Larkin's men ride into town and disrupt the peace. Earl (Gary Lockwood), Norman (Jack Elam), and Drew (James Best) run roughshod over the local citizens and Larkin has no inclination to stop it, despite Cobb's requests. Larkin is more interested in getting to know an attractive widow named Evelyn (Inger Stevens).

The only person in town willing to help Cobb is a slow-witted stable boy named Arthur (Robert Porter). When the boy is murdered by Larkin's men, a terrified and outgunned Cobb decides to stand up to them alone.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2013, 03:41:56 am »
Agreed...no one's even close...MUD :patriot:

~LOL~ never would have guessed you were a fan, Mud ...

I miss him a LOT... we don't have men like him in Hollywood these days.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2013, 04:22:41 am »
I'm a big Eastwood fan, but the Duke was simply larger than life...America was lucky to have him...MUD

Yes.. I like Eastwood, too... but like you John Wayne was the one...

BTW Tombstone will be shown on Cinemax this weekend.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2013, 05:18:37 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sasVCtrFU8c

ROUGH NIGHT IN JERICHO

To hell with George Peppard and Dean Martin.

Give me Jeanne Simmons any day!   {{{sigh}}} :thud:
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 05:19:16 am by DCPatriot »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2013, 10:03:56 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q1qsN9CSTY

Big Shadow on the Land      http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0529506/

This one was one this afternoon on one of the Western channels.  It will tug your heart strings.

Oh hell....it will yank them!     :laugh:

An Italian immigrant with a dream, but he's on Ponderosa property.

Offline Cincinnatus

« Reply #84 on: February 19, 2013, 11:51:17 pm »
Oh, even better. The original cast singing the theme song from "Bonanza" (except for maybe grumpy Pernell Roberts). Commentary says this was how the first episode ended but it was never shown on TV (but I have seen it). If I don't miss my guess the woman in the window is the lovely Yvonne De Carlo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpUd9KecPa4
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2013, 12:35:09 am »
There are several moral lessons and American history lessons in this episode "Dark Shadow on the Land"

Jack Kruschen is a proud new immigrant (legal) who thinks by using the Homestead Act, he can claim the property rights.

Hope you can take out and watch the 1st 10 minutes....you'll be hooked.

Offline Rodrigo

« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2013, 06:58:03 am »
I love a good western and have many DVDs in my collection.  I find I am drawn to RANDOLPH SCOTT movies more than even John Wayne.

Joel McRea is also one of my favorites.

My favorite modern made westerns have already been listed by others.

THE SOUND OF MUSIC at the POTEET THEATRE in Oklahoma City!  I and my niece did the murals on the walls.  See them before they are painted over at the end of the run! 8888crybaby

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #87 on: February 27, 2013, 11:23:00 am »
I love a good western and have many DVDs in my collection.  I find I am drawn to RANDOLPH SCOTT movies more than even John Wayne.

Joel McRea is also one of my favorites.

My favorite modern made westerns have already been listed by others.

THE SOUND OF MUSIC at the POTEET THEATRE in Oklahoma City!  I and my niece did the murals on the walls.  See them before they are painted over at the end of the run! 8888crybaby

Can't make it to Oklahoma City.   Why not post a few pics of those murals?

...and btw.....welcome to The Briefing Room! 

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #88 on: February 27, 2013, 01:13:52 pm »
Speaking of OKC, if ay of you ever go there, don't miss the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum.  It is WELL WORTH the side trip.

Offline Rodrigo

« Reply #89 on: March 03, 2013, 01:11:10 am »
Great thread, thanks for bumping it to the top, DCP...over a year old, too...COOL!!

Here's my favorite part of the movie ("Tombstone"), especially the scene at the train station.

Ever see James Garner's version of that scene in HOUR OF THE GUN. 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061787/

Offline Rodrigo

« Reply #90 on: March 03, 2013, 01:16:36 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sasVCtrFU8c

ROUGH NIGHT IN JERICHO

To hell with George Peppard and Dean Martin.

Give me Jeanne Simmons any day!   {{{sigh}}} :thud:

I just love the words of DEAN MARTIN when they arrested a buffalo hunter........."We'll hang him right after the trial."

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #91 on: March 03, 2013, 01:22:43 am »

I just love the words of DEAN MARTIN when they arrested a buffalo hunter........."We'll hang him right after the trial."

And his last words.....as he laid looking up at George Peppard....."Never take less than 51%!"

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #92 on: March 03, 2013, 01:30:09 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdnasj3oaCY

3:10 to Yuma fight scene

Russel Crowe and Christian Bale....(before he went nutz.)

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #93 on: March 03, 2013, 03:23:39 am »
You still can't beat a good western.......  3:10 to Yuma was good, so was Open Range (anything with Duval is great IMHO)

Online Lando Lincoln

There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online Lando Lincoln

John Steinbeck

Online Lando Lincoln

John Steinbeck

Online Lando Lincoln

John Steinbeck

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #98 on: March 03, 2013, 01:16:02 pm »
Lando!  Thanks for posting those.

Nuthin' like a classic Western scene or three on a Sunday morning!

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #99 on: March 03, 2013, 01:22:04 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lvwZgq4ydc

"Don't go for that gun, Reno.....I need you alive!"

.....and then he shoots him.   FIVE TIMES!   LOL!

edit:  SIX TIMES!   
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 08:16:45 pm by DCPatriot »