Author Topic: TOMBSTONE - and the Western Genre  (Read 67615 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: TOMBSTONE - and the Western Genre
« Reply #175 on: September 19, 2017, 07:54:09 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdKPNrknbkY

You're the handsomest woman that I ever saw!!     8888crybaby

^-^
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #176 on: September 19, 2017, 07:56:09 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8sQKRugB4s

Robert Duvall, IMO, is one of the great character actors of the past 100 years.   
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #177 on: September 19, 2017, 09:07:12 pm »

The Magnificent Seven

That one way be my all-time favorite, The Magnificent 7.

I Like:

Tombstone
Red River
Stagecoach
Shane
The Man who Shot Liberty Valance

Some of me favorites, I could go on.....

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #178 on: September 19, 2017, 09:09:57 pm »
Which one did you like better, Lando?

One of the things that has always bugged me about these gunfight scenes is that Hollywood loses all sense of reality when it comes to how many bullets a SIX-SHOTTER can fire.

Open range was notorious for that.  In one scene, Costner had as many as a extra-large 9mm clip.

The hero never runs out, but the bad guys do!

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #179 on: September 19, 2017, 09:12:19 pm »

For a Fistful of Dollars

Now THIS is a good one!

Yep, that first one, that starts the whole Spaghetti Western genre, a good one, indeed.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #180 on: September 19, 2017, 09:13:03 pm »
The hero never runs out, but the bad guys do!

:laugh:   :beer:

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #181 on: September 19, 2017, 09:16:23 pm »
Yep, that first one, that starts the whole Spaghetti Western genre, a good one, indeed.

Encore Western channel is featuring For A Few Dollars More all month.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #182 on: September 19, 2017, 09:18:04 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0vqQjaXLOU

How many of you can name the magnificent seven?

Yul Brynner.....James Colburn...Steve McQueen....Robert something or another.......LOL!

Brunner
Colburn
McQueen
Bronson
Vaughn
Bucholtz
And be damned if I can remember the last one, the one always after the treasure.
Well, I got six.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #183 on: September 19, 2017, 09:19:34 pm »
Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen, James Coburn, Charles Bronson, Brad Dexter, Robert Vaughn, Horst Bucholtz.  :patriot:
Dexter is the one I could not remember

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #184 on: September 19, 2017, 09:21:37 pm »

^-^

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #185 on: October 11, 2017, 04:02:23 am »
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 04:02:51 am by DCPatriot »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #186 on: October 18, 2017, 07:06:13 pm »
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 07:07:29 pm by DCPatriot »

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Why Netflix’s ‘Godless’ is the Western you’ve been waiting for
« Reply #187 on: November 17, 2017, 08:28:00 pm »
Why Netflix’s ‘Godless’ is the Western you’ve been waiting for

Rob Lowman
Los Angeles Daily News
November 17, 2017

...For “Godless,” executive producers Casey Silver and Steven Soderbergh took Scott Frank’s screenplay, which was originally written as a film, and expanded it into a seven-part limited series for Netflix.

The series is a wild ride, an old-fashioned Western with a contemporary edge. It carries the sweep and breadth of a grand tale with the larger-than-life ornery characters you expect to find living and dying in that rugged, lonely land...

The entire series – which plays like a seven-hour movie – was directed by Scott Frank from his screenplay. He keeps the tension throughout without over-hyping scenes. Death is bad enough. Using natural light, the cinematography from Steven Meizler, who has filmed for Steven Spielberg and Steven Soderbergh, infuses the scenes with the unease of vulnerability...
Full article

Wikipedia

IMDb

Official site

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMUiRYoc76A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMUiRYoc76A

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #188 on: November 18, 2017, 12:15:24 am »

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #189 on: November 18, 2017, 12:17:14 am »

Dexter is always the only one I can't remember either.  :laugh:

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #190 on: November 18, 2017, 12:23:43 am »
Thanks, Mac! 

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #191 on: November 22, 2017, 03:40:51 am »
I have been home this week. Sick since Sunday. I only had a 3 day work week, so it hasn't been all bad. Getting over some respiratory virus thing. Got to watch a few old good westerns again on cable.

Jubal
(Under appreciated- Filmed in Wyoming, great scenery. The cast has Glenn Ford, Ernest Borginine, Charles Bronson, Rod Steiger)

Original True Grit

Man from Laramie

I also saw a really bad one, with one of my favorite Western actors, sorry to say. Ben Johnson in "Return to Bonanza" . The bad guy actually pulled an automatic pistol. The train boxcar was a modern metal one. Just terrible. Felt sorry for Ben Johnson.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #192 on: November 22, 2017, 10:08:05 am »
I have been home this week. Sick since Sunday. I only had a 3 day work week, so it hasn't been all bad. Getting over some respiratory virus thing. Got to watch a few old good westerns again on cable.

Jubal
(Under appreciated- Filmed in Wyoming, great scenery. The cast has Glenn Ford, Ernest Borginine, Charles Bronson, Rod Steiger)

Original True Grit

Man from Laramie

I also saw a really bad one, with one of my favorite Western actors, sorry to say. Ben Johnson in "Return to Bonanza" . The bad guy actually pulled an automatic pistol. The train boxcar was a modern metal one. Just terrible. Felt sorry for Ben Johnson.

All good ones, @GrouchoTex !

Anything Jimmy Stewart did was worth watching.

...even noticed a remake of 'his' Winchester 73 this week, but Stewart is a tought act to follow.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #193 on: February 19, 2018, 07:03:24 pm »
All good ones, @GrouchoTex !

Anything Jimmy Stewart did was worth watching.

...even noticed a remake of 'his' Winchester 73 this week, but Stewart is a tought act to follow.
Stewart remains my favorite actor of all time.  Only rival I can think off the top of my head is Henry Fonda.

No coincidence he could act in Westerns, dramas and of course Alfred Hitchcock movies.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #194 on: February 19, 2018, 07:28:41 pm »
Stewart remains my favorite actor of all time.  Only rival I can think off the top of my head is Henry Fonda.

No coincidence he could act in Westerns, dramas and of course Alfred Hitchcock movies.
I just watched, "Once upon a time in the West" again, With Charles Bronson and Henry Fonda.
I think it was Friday night.

Offline AmericanaPrime

• Americana Prime
« Reply #195 on: July 31, 2018, 06:11:59 pm »
If you like westerns and horror, and haven’t seen Bone Tomahawk, do yourself a favor and get on it.
Visit my website @ AmericanaPrime.com!

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #196 on: July 31, 2018, 06:13:58 pm »
If you like westerns and horror, and haven’t seen Bone Tomahawk, do yourself a favor and get on it.

Will look into it..... thanks.

! No longer available

Damn!!   :patriot:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 06:18:37 pm by DCPatriot »

Offline skeeter

« Reply #197 on: July 31, 2018, 06:28:24 pm »
Will look into it..... thanks.

! No longer available

Damn!!   :patriot:

Saw it - its a bit rough.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #198 on: July 31, 2018, 07:08:18 pm »
I watched Big Jake last night.
It was the first time in a while I'd seen that.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #199 on: August 04, 2018, 05:07:12 pm »
Just watched SLOW WEST ...a Netflix  Western genre.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3201640/

SLOW WEST TRAILER

! No longer available

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/slow_west_2015/  rotten tomatoes 93%
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 05:12:15 pm by DCPatriot »