Author Topic: TOMBSTONE - and the Western Genre  (Read 67485 times)

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
Re: TOMBSTONE - and the Western Genre
« Reply #150 on: April 29, 2016, 08:09:58 pm »
LOL! 

I thought I saw that on the TV version too.  Maybe not.

How long was it on the radio?

1952 - 1961. Used a lot of the radio scripts for tv.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 08:10:24 pm by don-o »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #151 on: April 29, 2016, 08:29:01 pm »
The radio Doc was better that the TV one. In one episode, Doc got shot and he directed Matt to get the bullet out of him.
I think part of it was that they wanted to make Gunsmoke as realistic as possible—and quite frankly, frontier doctors didn't have a lot of resources at their disposal to help people out.

1952 - 1961. Used a lot of the radio scripts for tv.
Indeed, and the original Matt Dillon was none other than William Conrad, later famous as Frank Cannon. Obviously Conrad didn't fit the physique of what they needed for a sheriff on TV.

So, as the story goes, they asked John Wayne (for advice, as he was believed to be too much of a star to consider stooping to the then-new technology of TV), who recommended James Arness…and the rest is history.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #152 on: April 30, 2016, 12:06:04 am »

So, as the story goes, they asked John Wayne (for advice, as he was believed to be too much of a star to consider stooping to the then-new technology of TV), who recommended James Arness…and the rest is history.

There's actually a lead-in commercial they play where he introduces James Arness...in it he predicts big success for him.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #153 on: April 30, 2016, 12:08:04 am »
I love the Western genre.

Hollywood is sitting on a gold mine and isn't acting on it.

Maybe they have to wait until we die off, so they can make the Indians the good guys in the history books.   :laugh:

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #154 on: April 30, 2016, 12:18:24 am »

Maybe they have to wait until we die off, so they can make the Indians the good guys in the history books.   :laugh:

Agree.  My favorite genre also, sci-fi being a close second.

The western genre gets a bad rap sometimes for always putting down the Indians.  An awful lot of them showed a real respect for them though, which seems to have been buried in Hollywood history. 
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #155 on: May 13, 2016, 12:36:03 am »
Agree.  My favorite genre also, sci-fi being a close second.

The western genre gets a bad rap sometimes for always putting down the Indians.  An awful lot of them showed a real respect for them though, which seems to have been buried in Hollywood history.
For a time while I was still getting the Encore Western channel, I viewed a number of Indian war themed movies from the fifties and early sixties (can't think of any right now). Many of them were very sympathetic to the Indian point of view . But the left  spread the lie that all Indian themed westerns prior to "Little Big Man" were anti-Indian and depicted Indians as sub-human savages. Simply not true.

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #156 on: May 13, 2016, 12:43:33 am »
For a time while I was still getting the Encore Western channel, I viewed a number of Indian war themed movies from the fifties and early sixties (can't think of any right now). Many of them were very sympathetic to the Indian point of view . But the left  spread the lie that all Indian themed westerns prior to "Little Big Man" were anti-Indian and depicted Indians as sub-human savages. Simply not true.

Absolutely right.  Many of pre-1960s Western movies as well as radio and tv shows such as Hopalong Cassidy, Roy Rogers, Gene Autry and others almost always showed respect for the Indian.  I'm old enough to have listened to radio in those days and to have seen many of the early Westerns.

Online Lando Lincoln

There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #158 on: May 31, 2016, 02:31:59 pm »
The 57 Greatest Westerns Ever, Ranked (Moviefone)

Interesting.  Thanks for the link.   Would have had High Noon up in the top two or three though.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #159 on: May 31, 2016, 02:38:42 pm »
Interesting.  Thanks for the link.   Would have had High Noon up in the top two or three though.

Some of the crap on that list shouldn't be IMHO and to say that I would rearrange it is a gross understatement!  Lonesome Dove at #16??? You've GOT to be kidding me!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #160 on: May 31, 2016, 04:32:19 pm »

Don't know what the ranking criteria was.  Like yours, mine would have been different.  It does make for conversation though.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #161 on: May 31, 2016, 04:36:54 pm »
Don't know what the ranking criteria was.  Like yours, mine would have been different.  It does make for conversation though.

Exactly.  Those "rankings" get the discussion going!
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online DCPatriot

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #163 on: August 06, 2016, 07:46:08 pm »

It's the same reason you didn't see any war movies during the height of the Iraq War that depicted American soidiers in a positive light.  All we got were a rash of anti-war movies that bombed, no pun intended. Anti-American, anti-white male liberals run things in Hollywood.
I rarely watch modern movies any more because the people who make are almost universally diehard libs who are determined to cast America and Americans in a bad light. There are no unambiguous white male heroes anymore.  And of course we have to have the prerequisite number of non-white or non-male heroes...if there are heroes. And homosexual heroes as well. Screw that noise.
I don't mind the anti-hero genre, but I like heroe males ala the John Wayne-Clint Eastwood mode as well.
I don't think you'll ever see the same type of westerns as were made in the old days ever again. Not unless we get some conservative movie makers in Hollyweird, and I'm not holding my breath.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #164 on: August 06, 2016, 07:53:00 pm »
Some of the crap on that list shouldn't be IMHO and to say that I would rearrange it is a gross understatement!  Lonesome Dove at #16??? You've GOT to be kidding me!
"Last Train From Gun Hill"  one of the greatest westerns ever is missing. Brokeback Mountain is on the list? You've got to be kidding me. Treasure of the Sierra Madre is one of my favorite movies, but sorry, it's not a western.
A number of the flicks were very good, but there were a lot of questionable movies on the list and a number of movies either ranked too high or too low.

Offline kartographer

Re: TOMBSTONE
« Reply #165 on: August 06, 2016, 08:16:13 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTJQYGkf-cc

Here's another one of my all time favorites....right up there with Shane!

"Why you're the most handsomest woman I ever saw!"

See my tag line.
Charley Waite: "Well you may not know this, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dying."

Online DCPatriot

Re: TOMBSTONE
« Reply #166 on: August 06, 2016, 08:53:59 pm »

Online DCPatriot

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #168 on: April 02, 2017, 12:59:16 pm »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #169 on: April 02, 2017, 01:27:06 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wOxuFrMP1E

Fortunate to have been influenced as a young boy, by the moral messages contained the Western genre.

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #170 on: May 13, 2017, 04:40:47 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtblCZQXRsA

IMHO, the music score by Ennio Morricone in the "Spaghetti Western" series was a HUGE factor delivering Clint Eastwood his key to stardom.

Don't forget....we had only seen him in RAWHIDE up to that point.   
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 04:44:50 pm by DCPatriot »

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #171 on: May 13, 2017, 05:46:31 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtblCZQXRsA

IMHO, the music score by Ennio Morricone in the "Spaghetti Western" series was a HUGE factor delivering Clint Eastwood his key to stardom.

Don't forget....we had only seen him in RAWHIDE up to that point.
Sergio Leone planned it that way. He wanted to the music to be a huge part of the movie. In the scene near the end of TGTBTU where Tuco is running in the cemetery looking for the grave with the loot, Leone deliberately extended the scene so the  music of "The Ecstasy Of Gold" could fully play.
I frequently play the themes from the spaghetti westerns in chonological order including The Ecstasy Of Gold.  Great listening. To my mind, Morricone is the greatest western music composer ever.
P.S. The Ecstasy Of Gold is now the background music to some national tv ad.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 03:48:56 am by goatprairie »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #172 on: May 13, 2017, 06:32:25 pm »
Sergio Leone planned it that way. He wanted to the music to be a huge part of the movie. In the scene near the end of TGTBTU where Tuco is running in the cemetery looking for the grave with the loot, Leone deliberately extended the scene so the  musice of "The Ecstasy Of Gold" could fully play.
I frequently play the themes from the spaghetti westerns in chonological order including The Ecstasy Of Gold.  Great listening. To my mind, Morricone is the greatest western music composer ever.
P.S. The Ecstasy Of Gold is now the background music to some national tv ad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOr0na6mKJQ

There are no words.

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #173 on: September 10, 2017, 06:55:28 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2PXlUjWz5M

I'm your huckleberry Tombstone scene

One of the good ones in the Western genre!  Of this generation anyway.

Oh, I just loved Doc Holiday!

I kind of skimmed through this thread, and I saw no mention of "The Rifleman." I really liked that show as a youngster.

So where is the chaps emojin? 8888crybaby
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #174 on: September 10, 2017, 08:01:06 am »
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra