Author Topic: TOMBSTONE - and the Western Genre  (Read 67478 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: TOMBSTONE - and the Western Genre
« Reply #125 on: January 03, 2015, 02:11:05 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJP3_NmXa4M

One of my favorite role models growing up as a young man.   It's fun to see clips with other famous actors/actresses that appeared on Cheyenne.

Dennis Hopper....
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #126 on: January 18, 2015, 01:24:38 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPeinD_Ohzc

The Last Stand at Saber River - Trailer.

Another Tom Selleck classic.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #127 on: January 24, 2015, 09:44:12 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYzWNjtPfq8

The Virginian 2000  Nathan Barr

Bill Pullman, Diane Lane (((sigh))) 

The closing music is beautiful.   

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #128 on: January 25, 2015, 08:14:42 pm »
http://www.locatetv.com/listings/encore-westerns

The above link is the Encore-Westerns schedule.

Today, they're featuring the Black-Fox triolgy , starring Christopher Reeve, Rauol Trujillo, Tony Todd.

When the world is insane and burning, and nobody in charge seems to give a shit.....there's NOTHING like a Western to get your mind right.

N.O.T.H.I.N.G!!

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #129 on: February 21, 2015, 05:59:23 pm »
Snowing like a crazy Banshee out there this Saturday morning and afternoon.

What could be better than laying in bed drinking great coffee....and watching SILVERADO?    :laugh:

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #130 on: February 22, 2015, 03:49:28 pm »
Lando...I think you still follow this thread.  We had a great evening or three back when this thread was going.

Just wanted to tell you that I am totally wrong about Silverado.   It's been bugging me for days, because I still recall how, IMO, Silverado was too slapstick and not a serious Western in a Clint Eastwood, spaghetti Western-sense.

Perhaps, it was the time back in 1985 that they thought in order to appeal to the younger audience, they'd inject some Romancing the Stone fight sequences. 

I still wonder if Silverado was first written as a serious movie and maybe Kevin Cline....he of A Fish Called Wanda, was the one who couldn't contain himself.

.....knocking out a horse with a punch to the jaw had soured my POV on the film.

Anyway, I was wrong.   I've watched it twice over the weekend.  LOL.   On in the background...snowed in.  No football or baseball on TV. 

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #131 on: February 22, 2015, 04:12:28 pm »
DCP... I just love that movie. I am certain when the Kasdans wrote it, they had a checklist. Wagon train? Check. Stampede? Check. Saloons? Check. Awesome shooting?  Check. Evil land/cattle baron? Check. Corrupt law/sheriff?  Check. Hideouts?  Hero?  Scenery? Jail break? Friendship?  Yep, all of them.

It is not a deeply meaningful movie, but I love it. For me, it is quintessential entertainment.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #132 on: February 22, 2015, 04:15:42 pm »
The Kasdans offered Kevin Costner the role in that movie since Kostner's part in The Big Chill was left on the edit room floor (he played the dead friend).
John Steinbeck

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #133 on: February 22, 2015, 04:17:23 pm »
BTW... This is a great thread.
John Steinbeck

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #134 on: February 22, 2015, 04:45:55 pm »
BTW... This is a great thread.

Thanks, buddy!

I have been DVRing the 1950's Alan Ladd and Randolph Scott Westerns, that I know I must have seen when I was a young boy of 8-9. 

Wish the younger generation could appreciate the moral messages and strong plot lines, sans explicit nudity or copulation.  Women were respected and protected.

But alas, they probably appear and have as much interest as you and I would have in silent films.  It's a shame.

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #135 on: February 22, 2015, 04:59:17 pm »
Taken together as a whole, that genre of films celebrated the triumph of the American spirit.
John Steinbeck

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #136 on: February 22, 2015, 05:02:58 pm »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #137 on: March 09, 2015, 01:22:19 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NhX7g-nO_U

James Caan, John Wayne in El Dorado

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #138 on: March 12, 2015, 09:14:04 pm »

Watching GUNSMOKE reruns....and just noticed that Doc Adams was actually a pretty sh*tty doctor.

Man or woman....they all die.  Nobody ever heals except Matt..

hmmmmmm.........

Offline DCPatriot

Offline DCPatriot

« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 12:15:18 pm by DCPatriot »

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #141 on: April 12, 2015, 12:11:25 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h87YgCPVXwk

The Descent.....

A terrific movie for a lazy Sunday morning.....

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #142 on: December 18, 2015, 12:18:42 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsXx0lov8qo

Lonesome Dove Bar Scene.....

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #143 on: December 19, 2015, 01:18:51 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwDmV1KWrKQ

"This ain't Dodge City....and you're not Bill Hickok"

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #144 on: January 13, 2016, 11:22:37 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYzWNjtPfq8

Beautiful violin and cello.  Soundtrack to The Virginian (2000)   http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0164962/

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #145 on: April 29, 2016, 12:21:44 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxYdbGHzaTk

A bump on a classic scene! 

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #146 on: April 29, 2016, 12:25:01 am »

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #147 on: April 29, 2016, 12:28:43 am »

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
« Reply #148 on: April 29, 2016, 12:59:52 am »
Watching GUNSMOKE reruns....and just noticed that Doc Adams was actually a pretty sh*tty doctor.

Man or woman....they all die.  Nobody ever heals except Matt..

hmmmmmm.........

The radio Doc was better that the TV one. In one episode, Doc got shot and he directed Matt to get the bullet out of him.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #149 on: April 29, 2016, 01:38:33 am »
The radio Doc was better that the TV one. In one episode, Doc got shot and he directed Matt to get the bullet out of him.

LOL! 

I thought I saw that on the TV version too.  Maybe not.

How long was it on the radio?