Author Topic: Top 5 Horror Movies for a Creepy Halloween!  (Read 2087 times)

Offline AmericanaPrime

• Americana Prime
Top 5 Horror Movies for a Creepy Halloween!
« on: September 24, 2018, 03:47:40 pm »
Via www.americanaprime.com

#The Top 5 Modern Horror Films for a Scary Halloween

As of September 22, we are officially in the Fall season, which of course means Halloween is right around the corner. In addition to the ending of the oppressive heat and humidity of Summer, we now get arguably the most beautiful season, in which nature erupts into its tapestry of colors. The days grow short and dark, and those of us in the northern hemisphere prepare for the long cold winter. It is in this season, and the darkness it brings, that lends itself to horror movies. As we as a society become more and more desensitized to violence and the absurd, we continue to seek out new ways to shock ourselves, and sometimes we do so using the vehicle of the horror film.

I know what it means to be petrified of a film. When I was approximately 13 years old, I had nightmares for days over the movie Dead and Buried, which I saw by sneaking over to a neighbors house, as I was forbidden to see movies like this at my young age. Now, I have experienced hundreds of horror films, and I’ll do my best to bring the best of the best for you to experience this Halloween. I will restrict myself to the modern era of horror, which I identify as 2000-Present. We are undergoing a renaissance in horror, with the 2000’s being packed with quality, being delivered at an astounding rate. If you are curious about the finest Horror classics, there will be another forthcoming article before Halloween covering those as well. For now, let’s take a look at the best of the best of this era, and I will also include an enormous amount of honorable mentions at the end, to ensure your Halloween is packed with terror. As you may expect, I would not recommend allowing children to watch any of these films, unless you like the idea of ruining their lives.

5. It Follows

How does one devise a more unstoppable antagonist than even the Terminator? This movie answers that question with what has to be one of the more innovative concepts I’ve ever seen in a horror film. Setting up the characters, and the viewers with a sense of inevitability that is unmatched in modern cinema was a difficult challenge, but this film delivered in a big way. Combining the sense of dread with the requisite jump scares, It Follows has all the makings of a true classic.

4. Hereditary

If you read my review, you know that I believe this film will be considered an all-time classic 30 years from now. If you didn’t read my article, feel free to do that, and share it with your friends :) As I said there, it takes a lot to shock me, and Hereditary got me more than once. This is a near perfect film that delivers fantastic acting, cinematography, and plot structure. The runtime is slightly long, but overall, this movie delivers in a way few films can.

3. The Babadook

The ridiculous name alone almost made me miss this modern classic. I prejudged it based on that, and I couldn’t have been more wrong. An incredible psychological horror film of a family under duress where you can’t be sure what is real and what is not. Bringing a nightmarish children’s tale into real life without being cheesy brings a lot of challenge, but the filmmakers brought their A game and delivered what is sure to be an all-time classic.

2. The Descent

One of the most obvious horror tropes is the “Final Girl,” that is when it seems as if the last person to survive every horror movie is a young female. So, what happens if the entire cast is young females caught in a claustrophobic cave diving expedition? Original location and themes, great cast, innovative plot, and brutal gore bring the Descent into the pantheon of modern classic horror movies. I can assure you spelunking will likely never be a hobby you pursue after watching this film.

1. The Witch

“Wouldst thou like to live...deliciously?”

My favorite horror film of the past 40 years. I would have to go back to 1977 and older to find a horror film I hold in the same esteem as this Robert Eggers masterpiece. The only horror film on this list to which I give a perfect score, The Witch is the only film that I cannot even imagine an improvement one could make to improve it and believe me; I can imagine quite a bit. A folktale set in 1600’s New England, the Witch brings a nearly unmatched historical accuracy in dialect, beliefs, clothing, and even in processes such as construction and survival techniques. This, coupled with impeccable directing, acting, and cinematography set the Witch alone on top of the heap of modern horror. Plus, it has likely the creepiest animal in the history of cinema: Black Phillip.

Honorable Mentions:

The Devil’s Candy - Heavy metal darkness, very nearly made the list.
Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2003: Excellent Remake.
Texas Chainsaw: The Beginning: First-rate slasher film.
28 Days Later: Changed the Zombie film forever.
Evil Dead Remake: Best remake ever, I prefer it to the original.
Train to Busan: Best Zombie film of the modern era.
Wolf Creek 1 & 2: Crocodile Dundee meets Friday the 13th. Amazing.
The Conjuring: Nearly made the list, near flawless execution.
Get Out: Great concept by Jordan Peele.
Martyrs: Most disturbing film of the modern era. Might make you sick.
Cabin in the Woods: Incredible spin on horror tropes.
The Strangers: Top tier modern slasher movie.
Hell House LLC: One of the best “found footage” films ever.

There you have it: all the firepower needed to give yourself and loved ones nightmares for quite some time. Of course, horror is highly subjective, so even if you do not agree with my list above, the Honorable Mentions are sure to have enough for you to produce your own Top 5, and set up a creepy Halloween. Whether it’s Samhain, Halloween, All Hallow’s Eve, or the Harvest Moon, have a great autumn!

Steve
Visit my website @ AmericanaPrime.com!

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Top 5 Horror Movies for a Creepy Halloween!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 03:54:04 pm »
Looks like you put a lot of thought into this.  Not near as versed on the genre, but figured the original Halloween (circa '79?) would have made your list.

As a kid I used to really dig the Dr. Phibes movies.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 03:55:05 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline AmericanaPrime

• Americana Prime
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 05:47:55 pm »
Looks like you put a lot of thought into this.  Not near as versed on the genre, but figured the original Halloween (circa '79?) would have made your list.

As a kid I used to really dig the Dr. Phibes movies.

Yeah this is 2000-present.

Halloween 78 is definitely on both the classics and all time list near the top. Texas Chainsaw 74 is the greatest of all time imo.

Silver Pines

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 09:53:32 pm »
28 Days Later and its sequel are edge-of-your seat great movies.

If you like the vampire genre, and I do, the scariest by far I've ever watched is 30 Days of Night.  It's terrifying.   But my favorite is Bram Stoker's Dracula--Gary Oldman, Keanu Reeves, Winona Ryder, Anthony Hopkins.  It has everything--terror, beauty, great cinematography, and romance.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 10:01:19 pm »

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 10:15:00 pm »
Phantasm  circa 1979 and the lead chracter Angus Schrimm and his silver balls.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 10:18:04 pm »

More destructive than Mike Myers and Freddy Krueger combined
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 12:16:58 am by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Silver Pines

Offline berdie

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2018, 12:54:16 am »
The Haunting. (the original with Julie Harris)

Still scares me.  Was she crazy or was it the house?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 12:56:32 am by berdie »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2018, 01:03:37 am »
The Haunting. (the original with Julie Harris)

Still scares me.  Was she crazy or was it the house?

Not a horror film. but when I was about 5 there was a movie that had an army of skeletons fighting another group of men.  Very realistic looking at the time, suckers popped right out of the ground and attacked.

I remember I didn't hardly sleep for 2 weeks.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2018, 02:08:19 am »
Not a horror film. but when I was about 5 there was a movie that had an army of skeletons fighting another group of men.  Very realistic looking at the time, suckers popped right out of the ground and attacked.

When I was seven years old I saw the Japanese flick "Rodan" at a local movie theater. It scared the bejeesus out of me to the point it caused me nightmares for a few months.
Thirty years later I saw it on tv and laughed my way through the cheesy special effects and the "monster" who had caused me so much grief the first time I saw it.

Offline AmericanaPrime

• Americana Prime
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2018, 05:18:24 pm »
28 Days Later and its sequel are edge-of-your seat great movies.

If you like the vampire genre, and I do, the scariest by far I've ever watched is 30 Days of Night.  It's terrifying.   But my favorite is Bram Stoker's Dracula--Gary Oldman, Keanu Reeves, Winona Ryder, Anthony Hopkins.  It has everything--terror, beauty, great cinematography, and romance.

Oh Bram Stoker’s Dracula is one of my favorite of all time! Gothic Horror is totally my jam, so I love stuff like that.

I’ve got 30 days on my list to watch this Halloween, thanks for the suggestion!

Silver Pines

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2018, 08:15:57 pm »
Oh Bram Stoker’s Dracula is one of my favorite of all time! Gothic Horror is totally my jam, so I love stuff like that.

I’ve got 30 days on my list to watch this Halloween, thanks for the suggestion!

@AmericanaPrime

I want to hear what you think of it.  Most terrifying movie ever, lol.

Silver Pines

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2018, 08:19:45 pm »

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2018, 08:20:32 pm »

! No longer available

Jason and the Argonauts. 

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2018, 08:30:29 pm »

Jason and the Argonauts.

Thats the one....geez that was creepy 55 years ago.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2018, 08:44:43 pm »
Thats the one....geez that was creepy 55 years ago.

That particular special effect was cutting edge at that time. 

One of my favorite movies.

But for Halloween?    :shrug:    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline AmericanaPrime

• Americana Prime
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2018, 02:34:27 am »
That particular special effect was cutting edge at that time. 

One of my favorite movies.

But for Halloween?    :shrug:    :laugh:

As a kid I could see that being creepy Halloween or not. When I was around ten, the movie Dead and Buried messed me up. And it still holds up well these days despite being fairly old.

Offline DB

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2018, 03:13:45 am »
Bookmark.

Offline berdie

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2018, 01:57:53 am »

Well, it was creepy...I remember the movie well. It is one of my guilty pleasures to watch.

Another guilty pleasure...Night Of The Living Dead. I saw it as a teen at the drive-in, it still creeps me out...to this day. @catfish1957

There was a movie company that made a "D" movie at the end of my street. When the zombies staggered by...who was leading them??? My little black kitty, lol. He was great, but didn't make the big time.

Offline AmericanaPrime

• Americana Prime
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2018, 12:03:23 pm »

Well, it was creepy...I remember the movie well. It is one of my guilty pleasures to watch.

Another guilty pleasure...Night Of The Living Dead. I saw it as a teen at the drive-in, it still creeps me out...to this day. @catfish1957

There was a movie company that made a "D" movie at the end of my street. When the zombies staggered by...who was leading them??? My little black kitty, lol. He was great, but didn't make the big time.

If you even remotely like zombie stuff, you HAVE to watch Train to Busan. Unbelievable, and imo one of the top 3 zombie flicks ever, it veryyyyyy nearly made the list.