Author Topic: Why Everyone Hates "Twilight"  (Read 4314 times)

Offline My2Cents

Why Everyone Hates "Twilight"
« on: November 19, 2011, 12:47:29 am »

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Why Everyone Hates "Twilight"
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 01:09:21 am »
I haven't seen one of these movies yet...I maybe the only one..lol
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 01:41:39 am »

nope, I haven't even watched them when they come to HBO
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 03:13:58 am »
There are new movies still coming out?

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 03:17:58 am »
There are new movies still coming out?

yep
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 03:24:51 am »
yep

All we watch now are kid vids - many of which are quite enjoyable, thank you very much.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 03:30:38 am »
All we watch now are kid vids - many of which are quite enjoyable, thank you very much.

Turn off the videos and read to her or encourage her to read, read, read.

Offline My2Cents

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 04:57:26 am »

I technically haven't seen one.  We were coming back from Hawaii last year and the movie on the flight was the second "Twilight" film, I believe (whatever was out last year).  We didn't rent the headphones, so couldn't hear the movie (I spent time watching video and reading e-books on my laptop), but looked up a few times and saw the video.  Dreadful.  All this staring at each other.  No apparent dialogue.  Shudder.

Scene I would have liked to have seen:

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 05:40:19 am »
Reading ebooks on your laptop?  i know you can use the i-pad the same way as Kindle. Have been thinking about getting the kindle fire, but have heard pros-and-cons..... can you download Amazon books to the laptop? 

Offline My2Cents

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 07:21:46 am »
There is, or was, a Kindle reader for PC/laptops.  I think they may have discountined these (still Kindle apps for iPhone and iPad), but with the Fire coming out, I think they want to migrate users toward it and away from PCs/laptops.

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2011, 12:39:00 pm »
I don't even know who that actor even is, but I tell you what--I am sick and tired of looking at his face.  It seems like everywhere I look-there he is.

Oceander

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2011, 01:12:12 pm »
Turn off the videos and read to her or encourage her to read, read, read.

She reads quite well enough on her own now.  She reads in the bathtub at night - she'll sit an soak for an hour or so with a book - and she reads for about 1/2 an hour in the morning while I'm trying to get her dressed, give her breakfast and then brush her teeth.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2011, 01:54:25 pm »
Not wasting my time on this at all because I got the impression from the start from what little I read about "Twilight" was that the intended audience always was young teenage girls.  

I read a great deal and I just started the fourth novel "A Feast for Crows" in J.R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series.  Book five is inbound from Amazon now.  We saw one episode of HBO's season 1 during a free HBO preview non DirecTV, and it wasn't bad but it was far from clear what was going on.  Now that I've plowed through the first three books, it is clear that HBO cannot possibly do as good of a job with this story as Martin did.

Anyone else read these novels??  Some say he's the modern Tolkien, but Tolkien never wrote like this...

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2011, 03:56:37 pm »
Not wasting my time on this at all because I got the impression from the start from what little I read about "Twilight" was that the intended audience always was young teenage girls.  

I read a great deal and I just started the fourth novel "A Feast for Crows" in J.R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series.  Book five is inbound from Amazon now.  We saw one episode of HBO's season 1 during a free HBO preview non DirecTV, and it wasn't bad but it was far from clear what was going on.  Now that I've plowed through the first three books, it is clear that HBO cannot possibly do as good of a job with this story as Martin did.

Anyone else read these novels??  Some say he's the modern Tolkien, but Tolkien never wrote like this...

No, but you've piqued my interest.

Offline My2Cents

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2011, 01:02:05 am »
Chieftain, I'm heading over the Amazon to check out Martin.  Thanks.

Offline My2Cents

Offline 69FenderStrat

• my band
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2011, 02:38:34 am »
Reading ebooks on your laptop?  i know you can use the i-pad the same way as Kindle. Have been thinking about getting the kindle fire, but have heard pros-and-cons..... can you download Amazon books to the laptop? 
I have the Kindle Fire and to tell the truth so far the only difference between the iPad and the Kindle Fire is 1. The iPad is bigger
2. The iPad takes pictures
3. The iPad cost 3 x's that of the Kindle Fire

I love the Kindle Fire...side note Kindle is coming out with a smart phone to rival the iPhone.
Faith is not believing God can
Faith is Knowing God Will

"Senators more than House members & both more than ordinary people, lie."

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2011, 03:13:33 am »
No, but you've piqued my interest.

The first four books are out in paperback and Costco has a set for about $20.  There is a new hardcover set of the first four books coming out in time for Christmas for about $90.  Book five was released last July.

Like I said, Tolkien never wrote like this, and I've read almost everything he wrote, including his notebooks which his son edited and published.   But Martin has created a world all by itself with thousands of years of its own History that has an enormous bearing on what goes on.  And the bloody mahem along with the back-stabbing (literally) and some very intensely torrid sexual encounters make this some memorable reading.  This guy does character development like nobody else.

He'll have you hooked by the first 100 pages, and you won't believe how the first book ends.....

Did anyone watch the HBO series??  Sean Bean (Boromir from LOTR,) starred as Lord Eddard Stark, The Hand of the King....

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2011, 12:41:34 am »
Rap, free Kindle reader for PC:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000426311&tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=7893047648&ref=pd_sl_3ies3d4yuc_b

Thanks, I just downloaded it, I think I'll put it on my notebook computer and give it a spin.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2011, 02:14:45 am »
Just thinking about "Twilight" makes me want to throw up.

It contains every nauseating aspect of chick flicks to the Nth degree.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton