Author Topic: Establishment Republicans Want to Redefine the Term "Conservative"  (Read 2020 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Establishment Republicans Want to Redefine the Term "Conservative"
« on: September 21, 2011, 09:54:48 pm »
Establishment Republicans Want to Redefine the Term "Conservative"
September 21, 2011

BEGIN TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: Folks, this is a little inside baseball, but it's important because he who controls the language ends up winning the debate, and it might seem like a small thing, but I have learned and I have been given to understand that the "establishment Republicans" hate the term. They don't like being called "establishment Republicans," and they are trying to change the term to "establishment conservatives" and in the process co-opt the definition of "conservative" and conservatism. It's not something that you'll notice if you watch cable news or even read. You have to be able to see the stitches on the fastball, you have to be able to read between the lines, and you have to know some stuff going on behind the scenes (and, of course, I am in a position to know these kinds of things).

So don't doubt me on this. The establishment Republicans are the establishment Republicans. The Republican leadership is the Republican establishment, meaning the elites. They hate it and they are in the process of trying to redefine who conservatives are and what it is -- and if they succeed, the conservatism that you and I hold dear will no longer be the definition of conservatism. If they succeed, the current thinking of the Republican establishment will be what is called modern day conservatism. Don't doubt me on this. It sounds like a small thing, but in a daily ebb and flow you'll not even see any news about this, but it's in important because it's crucial who controls the language, who controls the way words are defined.

You and I know that the establishment Republicans don't like conservatives. They didn't like Reagan. They were embarrassed of Reagan. They were embarrassed of us. They didn't like the Moral Majority, they didn't like the Christian right, they don't like the pro-lifers. They don't like the social conservatives at all. They're embarrassed by us, in many ways, with their other buddies, the establishment Democrats -- which combined gives us the Washington establishment, and they very much prefer to be members of that club than ours. But they know that it doesn't help them to be called "establishment Republicans." So they're trying to take the term "conservative" and co-opt it and define it as they behave, write, speak, and even vote on matters of politics.

END TRANSCRIPT

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Establishment Republicans Want to Redefine the Term "Conservative"
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 11:01:00 pm »
The establishment Republicans are the establishment Republicans. The Republican leadership is the Republican establishment, meaning the elites. They hate it and they are in the process of trying to redefine who conservatives are and what it is -- and if they succeed, the conservatism that you and I hold dear will no longer be the definition of conservatism. If they succeed, the current thinking of the Republican establishment will be what is called modern day conservatism.

The Bill Kristols. Karl Roves, Mitt Romneys of the GOP........
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 11:06:57 pm »
The establishment Republicans are the establishment Republicans.....

The Bill Kristols. Karl Roves, Mitt Romneys of the GOP........

Yup.  And Romney is the exemplar of the type.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 11:13:50 pm »
Well, I guess I'm not a Republican?
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 11:19:05 pm »
Well, I guess I'm not a Republican?

According to whom?

Offline Badeye

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 11:19:58 pm »
Hell, I just want to win.
Trump is going to win AGAIN

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 11:21:37 pm »
Hell, I just want to win.

So do I....at any cost!
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 11:23:39 pm »
According to whom?

If the Kristols, Roves, etc are the definition of a Repub I guess I'm not is what I am saying..I am far more conservative than they are...I guess I belong in the Tea Party...
Support the USO

Oceander

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 11:26:38 pm »
If the Kristols, Roves, etc are the definition of a Repub I guess I'm not is what I am saying..I am far more conservative than they are...I guess I belong in the Tea Party...

Ahhh.  Then I would agree with you.  If the Kristols, Roves, and Romneys are able to redefine the term to mean themselves, then few of us are Republicans.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 12:37:11 am »
Which is why I think we need to drop the term Republican or Democrat and even left or right and call it what it really comes down to these days, you are either a Progressive or you are a Conservative...... not sure what the heck an Independent is other than wishy-washy and uninformed.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776