Author Topic: Millennials are moving back into awkward teen rooms in record numbers  (Read 734 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Millennials are moving back into awkward teen rooms in record numbers

By Allison Hope

April 22, 2021 | 11:38am | Updated

For millions of young Americans, the pandemic has been a time machine back to the early aughts.

By July 2020, 52 percent of 18- to 29-year-olds, or 26.6 million adults, were residing with a parent, according to a new Pew Research Center analysis — the highest number since the Great Depression.

In New York, some 300,000 left the city. Many of those people found themselves living in time capsules: lovingly preserved childhood bedrooms, plastered in posters and magazine cut-outs of boy bands and James Cameron blockbusters, and tricked out with décor from the Myspace era.

Many are still there.

Jess Cohen, 39, was one of them. She left her Manhattan apartment during the pandemic to move back in with her family in Fresh Meadows, Queens. Her modest bedroom hadn’t changed since high school, two decades ago.

A “Titanic” poster, a Barbie-size Kate Winslet doll, the sign-in board from her Sweet Sixteen, stuffed animals and glass knickknacks from a school formal were just as she had left them.

The girlish pink walls were the cherry on top of what feels like a “Blossom”-meets-“Clarissa Explains It All” retrospective.

more
https://nypost.com/2021/04/22/millennials-are-living-in-childhood-rooms-in-record-numbers/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online DB

Government did that.

And these idiots are voting for more of the same.

Offline mountaineer

I don't think those are millennials. Aren't they Gen Z (and possibly X)?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Both my boys are self supporting and have families...the moment they moved out I turned the small bedroom into a closet and the other into my office/guest bedroom....and moved all their crap to a storage locker which I should charge them for... :shrug:
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I don't think those are millennials. Aren't they Gen Z (and possibly X)?

I think age 39 is "Gen X."  How should I know, I'm a boomer going on geezer.  "Get off my lawn!"
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Both my boys are self supporting and have families...the moment they moved out I turned the small bedroom into a closet and the other into my office/guest bedroom....and moved all their crap to a storage locker which I should charge them for... :shrug:

I knew a fellow who had a lakeside home that was architecturally "causal," and he knocked out a wall every time a kid moved out.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online libertybele

Well, my son moved back home after only 2 years of college with his dog and girlfriend (now wife)...so we mandated that they get jobs and they had to turn over a portion of their paychecks every week.  Once that money accumulated and they had enough $$ for to rent an apartment, they were out. The dog stayed with us. My daughter completed college and has dual degrees, none of which applies to her current job, she got married right away (huge mistake) but has never moved back home. We have in the past helped out with some of their bills in the beginning, but so far so good.  My daughter's company is hanging in there right now ; the GM has COVID, 2 employees are still out with COVID and 2 have put in their resignation.  So ... at this point who knows.  She made it through the initial layoff and has been fully employed again and hopefully the company will survive.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online libertybele

I went through the storage locker scene too, and after awhile, I finally said, either you take over the payments or you lose your stuff.  Storage is not cheap!   

It's hard to make things more difficult for your kids, but in my case, 2 years of payments was long enough!

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
I went through the storage locker scene too, and after awhile, I finally said, either you take over the payments or you lose your stuff.  Storage is not cheap!   

It's hard to make things more difficult for your kids, but in my case, 2 years of payments was long enough!

I have threatened them...the storage facility moved their huge garbage container and you can no longer throw stuff away....if I bring it to my house I have to pay the garbage company extra to haul it away...if it's not in their containers they won't take it... 9999hair out0000
Support the USO

Online libertybele

I have threatened them...the storage facility moved their huge garbage container and you can no longer throw stuff away....if I bring it to my house I have to pay the garbage company extra to haul it away...if it's not in their containers they won't take it... 9999hair out0000

Just recently the city decided that we could put items (even furniture and appliances) at the curb and our garbage collectors would take it away. It's been really a good thing. Only thing we can't leave out is oil, paint, gasoline cans and things like that, those have to be discarded at a special facility.

Online libertybele

We had to rent a dumpster a couple of years ago when we downsized and the fees weren't too bad. I think it was around $300.  In the long run, which is cheaper, to continue to pay storage or to get rid of the stuff and be done with it?

Offline mountaineer

I think age 39 is "Gen X."  How should I know, I'm a boomer going on geezer.  "Get off my lawn!"
I thought Gen Z encompassed those born since 1995, which would be most of the age group described in the story. I'm just wondering what comes after Gen Z, as they've kind of out of letters.

Online libertybele

I thought Gen Z encompassed those born since 1995, which would be most of the age group described in the story. I'm just wondering what comes after Gen Z, as they've kind of out of letters.

Whatever they identify as.  :whistle:

Offline mountaineer

Whatever they identify as.  :whistle:
Isn't that the truth.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I knew a fellow who had a lakeside home that was architecturally "causal," and he knocked out a wall every time a kid moved out.

With a Sawsall and a sledge hammer I hope.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline The_Reader_David

Never had that problem.  Even my ne'er do well musician son, who finally finished his BA at the age of 30, never tried to move back into our basement.  He turned dropping out of college and falling into poverty into a winning proposition when he went back to school -- with me and his mom off his FAFSA he qualified for Pell Grants and subsidized student loans -- but even in his years as college drop-out supported himself.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline berdie

This tells me that having a mom scraping by and a dad that was pretty non-existant was a positive in the long run.

If there is no where to go...ya do it yourself.

Online libertybele

This tells me that having a mom scraping by and a dad that was pretty non-existant was a positive in the long run.

If there is no where to go...ya do it yourself.

Same situation I had. My parents divorced and my Dad was in the picture (when my mother would allow him to be -- she lied to me, but that's another story), he financially sent support and my mother worked full time.  However, if I wanted to go to the doctors, I paid the doctor bill, I bought clothes, shoes, etc., from babysitting money that I earned -- that started when I was 13. Yep, I did a lot myself plus, I helped to take care of my brothers a lot as well.

My Dad came to stay with us when he was dying of cancer and he asked me why I never came to him for help as he could see that after I married we were struggling.  My answer to him was very simple; I never even considered that we were struggling.  We made do with what we had and that those were some of the happiest times in my life.       
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 12:50:52 am by libertybele »

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
Generation X, Y, or Z, they are ALL GENERATION I.  That's right, GENERATION I for IDIOT.

90% of those under age 45 are utter idiots.  They know nothing is my experience.  NOTHING!!!

:yowsa: :yowsa: :yowsa: :yowsa: :yowsa: :yowsa: :yowsa:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
With a Sawsall and a sledge hammer I hope.

Naaw.  They were built to be removed when the time comes.  :whistle:
I will NOT comply.