Author Topic: House approves bill to make DC a state  (Read 586 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
House approves bill to make DC a state
« on: April 22, 2021, 06:06:27 pm »
By Marty Johnson - 04/22/21 12:00 PM EDT

The House, in a party-line vote on Thursday, approved legislation to make Washington, D.C., the 51st state in the nation, sending the bill to the Senate.

It's the second time the House has approved such legislation in two years, but the statehood bill, long a goal for the nation's capital, faces an uphill climb in a Senate evenly divided between the two parties.

Winning a vote in the Senate would likely require ending the filibuster that requires most legislation to clear a 60-vote hurdle. Even then, not all 50 Democrats in the Senate back making D.C. a state.

The 216-208 House vote on H.R. 51, named to reflect that D.C. would become the nation's 51st state, comes as Democrats have stepped up their efforts on a series of measures aimed at racial justice.

For decades, D.C. was a majority Black city; today, its population is just under 50 percent Black.

The White House on Tuesday formally declared its support for the legislation, saying it would provide the residents of the District with "long overdue full representation in Congress."

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/549569-house-passes-dc-statehood-bill-for-second-time
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline conservativevoter

Re: House approves bill to make DC a state
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 07:39:31 pm »
Do the other 50 states have any say in this? :pondering:

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 07:49:37 pm »
Any surprise that it passed the House?  It will also pass the Senate and DC will become a state. Once again making it more impossible for the GOP to gain any control whatsoever. 

The GOP prospects for 2022 are very dismal.  They haven't offered any sort of resistance to the liberalization of our gov't and society.   We are now living the results.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 08:20:23 pm »
DC ‘Statehood Is In My DNA,’ Pelosi Says As She Shows Photo Of Her Father With Eleanor Roosevelt
https://dailycaller.com/2021/04/22/nancy-pelosi-washington-dc-statehood-father/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 08:27:43 pm »
DC ‘Statehood Is In My DNA,’ Pelosi Says As She Shows Photo Of Her Father With Eleanor Roosevelt
https://dailycaller.com/2021/04/22/nancy-pelosi-washington-dc-statehood-father/

In her DNA? Her pappy was a commie and connected to the mob and her brother had connections as well.

So Nancy certainly has the commie mindset....it's in her DNA!

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2021, 12:34:57 am »
Conservative voter asks:
"Do the other 50 states have any say in this?"

Only insofar as their case can be made through their representatives and senators in Congress.

The House has spoken.
The Senate, at this point, remains an open question.

Fishrrman prediction:
If this fails in the Senate, watch for an immediate move to make Puerto Rico a state.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2021, 12:37:23 am »
Conservative voter asks:

Only insofar as their case can be made through their representatives and senators in Congress.

The House has spoken.
The Senate, at this point, remains an open question.

Fishrrman prediction:

If this fails in the Senate, watch for an immediate move to make Puerto Rico a state.

Perhaps will also start to see states seceding from the Union?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2021, 03:45:45 am »
By Marty Johnson - 04/22/21 12:00 PM EDT

For decades, D.C. was a majority Black city; today, its population is just under 50 percent Black.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/549569-house-passes-dc-statehood-bill-for-second-time

@mystery-ak

And the remaining 50+ percent are their white pimps.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2021, 03:48:21 am »
Kiss the Stars and Stripes goodbye.  Because they will say that if they have to replace all the flags anyway to add the new star, they might as well do a full redesign.

Then flying the Stars and Stripes will be tantamount to flying the Confederate Flag.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2021, 03:49:37 am »
Conservative voter asks:

Fishrrman prediction:

@Fishrrman

That is not only a given,but most likely the most certain thing you have ever said.

Lots of PR's ain't going to be for it because of the negative consequences  (with citizenship comes responsibilities),but since when has the left cared about anything that minor?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2021, 09:10:54 am »
I have seen it argued here that it requires 60 votes in the Senate.  But when I researched it, the Net indicated that all that is required is simple majorities in both houses of Congress.  Now the District of Columbia complicates the matter in that it is spelled out in the Constitution its status, which could complicate the matter.  However, with the Robert's court, I would not trust that ninny no how!!!

Puerto Rico in my humble opinion would be an easier feat to make a state.  I think the Democommies are trying for the tough one first, testing their power, which I believe will make the effort of approving the PR much easier.

But that pendulum can swing both ways.  Should the Republicans capture everything, I would not be surprised to see California broken into 2 or 3 states, with the new states conservative.  The eight counties in the northern part of California are solidly conservative.  One state for sure, perhaps two.

And if new states can be created, existing states can be merged.  I say merge Delaware into Maryland or Pennsylvania.  Merge Rhode Island into Connecticut or New York.  Merge New Mexico into California.  Yes, a lot of games can be played by both parties.  Question is, do the Republicans have any backbone to play?  Doubtful.  The Republicans remind me of the individual sitting in a wheel chair at the nursing home, catatonic to the world.  Yes, just that much life!!!  Trump tried to infuse energy into the party, but all he got from the party leadership was resistance.  Pathetic!

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2021, 10:55:09 am »
Carve out 10 miles for the seat of government and return the rest to Maryland

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2021, 10:57:50 am »
And if new states can be created, existing states can be merged.  I say merge Delaware into Maryland or Pennsylvania.  Merge Rhode Island into Connecticut or New York.  Merge New Mexico into California.  Yes, a lot of games can be played by both parties.  Question is, do the Republicans have any backbone to play?  Doubtful. 

No.  Republicans don't have the backbone.  But I can think of a few American Firsters who do.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2021, 11:57:31 am »
Newsmax
@newsmax

Joe Lieberman will try to sway Senators to back DC Statehood http://ow.ly/Mde250EvcOo

10:10 PM · Apr 22, 2021·Hootsuite Inc.

https://twitter.com/newsmax/status/1385415640916316165

Offline cato potatoe

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2021, 12:22:51 pm »
While we're at it, why not annex the Indian subcontinent, and carve out 250 new states?  That should really dilute the eeebil whites.

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2021, 02:08:36 pm »
Do the other 50 states have any say in this? :pondering:

Yes.   That's what the Senate is for.

Count on Joe Manchin to support this.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2021, 02:12:00 pm »
I have seen it argued here that it requires 60 votes in the Senate.  But when I researched it, the Net indicated that all that is required is simple majorities in both houses of Congress.  Now the District of Columbia complicates the matter in that it is spelled out in the Constitution its status, which could complicate the matter.  However, with the Robert's court, I would not trust that ninny no how!!!

Puerto Rico in my humble opinion would be an easier feat to make a state.  I think the Democommies are trying for the tough one first, testing their power, which I believe will make the effort of approving the PR much easier.

But that pendulum can swing both ways.  Should the Republicans capture everything, I would not be surprised to see California broken into 2 or 3 states, with the new states conservative.  The eight counties in the northern part of California are solidly conservative.  One state for sure, perhaps two.

And if new states can be created, existing states can be merged.  I say merge Delaware into Maryland or Pennsylvania.  Merge Rhode Island into Connecticut or New York.  Merge New Mexico into California.  Yes, a lot of games can be played by both parties.  Question is, do the Republicans have any backbone to play?  Doubtful.  The Republicans remind me of the individual sitting in a wheel chair at the nursing home, catatonic to the world.  Yes, just that much life!!!  Trump tried to infuse energy into the party, but all he got from the party leadership was resistance.  Pathetic!

The whole point of violating the Constitution and making DC a state is to ensure that never again will the Americans be able to control their own country.

Remember, they are also going to pack the Supreme Court so when the issue about DC statehood comes up, they won't have to count on Roberts to falsely rule it valid.

They had to steal the election in 2020.   Naturally they're going to steal everything else while the getting is good.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.