Author Topic: The Once Great NBA Has Been Lost To Tiresome Ballers Trying To Be Social Justice Martyrs  (Read 690 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 The Once Great NBA Has Been Lost To Tiresome Ballers Trying To Be Social Justice Martyrs

While I and others once enjoyed the pleasures of the NBA, the perpetual virtue-signaling from self-interested athletes and elites has ruined it all.

By Gabe Kaminsky
April 22, 2021

I used to be an NBA fan — a Philadelphia 76ers fan, to be exact. Before the league was a political breeding ground for basketball players who had classmates do their homework in college to act like political pundits, the NBA was a beautiful thing. That was back when it was a game, nothing more.

I have vivid memories of the first round of the 2012 Eastern Conference playoffs. I was 13, and I went to the last game of the series — Sixers as the eighth seed, Chicago Bulls as the number one. It was the year the talented Bulls point guard Derrick Rose tragically tore his ACL in his left knee.

The Sixers won 4 to 2, with the crowd electric in game six having captured its first series victory since 2003 against the New Orleans Hornets. It was an insane upset. The confetti streamed down as the theme song roared in surround-sound to a packed in-crowd, with tens of thousands of fans high-fiving in euphoric drunkenness.

No one cared what was going on in Washington, or if Andre Igoudala said his praises to some political cult in his postgame interview with ESPN. It was basketball. That’s all it was.

Times have changed. I can’t watch it anymore.  In the four years of the Trump presidency — especially after George Floyd’s unfortunate death led to a Black Lives Matter Marxist takeover of civil society — the NBA became unbearable and unwatchable.

more
https://thefederalist.com/2021/04/22/the-once-great-nba-has-been-lost-to-tiresome-ballers-trying-to-be-social-justice-martyrs/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
The NFL and NBA have obviously abandoned sports to become political advocacy groups.
Coca-Cola is no longer about selling softdrinks, they have become so called "voter's rights" activists.
(which is a continuation of the infusion of corporations and government which started with Big-Tech)
Hollywood was lost decades ago. They are no longer about 'entertainment'. They are all about pushing a Leftist agenda.
Education is no longer about 'teaching' or factual knowledge. It has become pure Leftist indoctrination.
Religion is being slowly, and not so slowly, brought under the thought control of D.C. bureaucrats by so called "Law".

It is a shame that no one will ever know the American world I grew up in. As kids we roamed the neighborhood at will until and sometimes after dark. We camped when and where we wanted to. We walked to school. We said the pledge of allegiance and saluted the flag as one people and one nation. And we cheered our favorite teams together betting a rival a few dollars on who would win, which did not really matter because it was fun.

All of that is gone. Today EVERYTHING is political. The current and future generations of Americans will never know what they have lost. And of course, that is exactly the goal of the American Left. Unfortunately, the battle for America which began at the end of WWII has been decisively won by the Communists. Traditional America is dead. And it is never coming back.

We read 1984 by Orwell, which is currently a banned book in many places, as a warning of a coming dystopian future. The American Left read it like a political guidebook. And they have succeeded in implementing it, in every detail.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 06:20:58 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline goatprairie

The NBA was becoming unwatchable anyway thanks to the dominance of the three point shot. Many teams now actively prefer average players who are good at shooting at distance over better all-around players who can do many things well except shoot from distance.
Watching many games before this season (haven't watched game one this season) a viewer would many times see players crossing the mid court line and immediately launching a three ball in place of passing the ball around looking for a better shot closer to the basket.
The game has become a travesty.
Plus, many players showboat now gesturing to the crowds after making a basket.
The final straw is the SJ virtue-signaling.
The players have ruined the game. Until they stop with the virtue-signaling, I'm not watching. I'm not holding my breath waiting for that to happen.

Offline dfwgator

The NBA was becoming unwatchable anyway thanks to the dominance of the three point shot. Many teams now actively prefer average players who are good at shooting at distance over better all-around players who can do many things well except shoot from distance.

Exactly. Anyone can become a good three-point shooter if they practice enough.    It takes much more skill to thread a pass inside for an easy layup or dunk.  Which is why I consider Bob Cousy to be one of the greatest players of all time, if not the greatest.

Offline corbe

If I wanted an opinion from someone who chases a ball, I'd ask my neighbors dog.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
240b wrote:
"All of that is gone. Today EVERYTHING is political. The current and future generations of Americans will never know what they have lost."

Just this afternoon, I finished a book about a movement in the Northwest to create a separate nation there and restore much of "life as it was" in a prior time.

But you wouldn't like many of the precepts of that book, and you would care for the beliefs of the author even less.

Yet... for having written it 17 years ago in 2004, he was often dead-on in his predictions of where the country was headed.

The future will not be attractive.
It will not be so if we do nothing to stop the communists.
It will not be so if we do all that is necessary "to stop" the communists.
Take yer pick.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
Good riddance!!!!!!!!!

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
   If I wanted an opinion from someone who chases a ball, I'd ask my neighbors dog.

Huskies have more sense that dribblers.   At least they know to bite a skunk on the ass rather than let him wander freely about the yard.

In that particular battle, the skunk did lose, though the huskies paid a small price.   They really don't like getting a bath...
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
How come when LeBron James is reading a book he’s always on the first page?  And I think one of them is upside down!.

Lebro has a big brain

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline goatprairie

How come when LeBron James is reading a book he’s always on the first page?  And I think one of them is upside down!.

Lebro has a big brain

If he got past the first page, he probably did better than most pro athletes whom I doubt have picked up a book since their first and only year of college when they were forced to read something. Then it was probably some crap Black Studies  book.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Martyrs?

There is zero chance they are giving up their lives for anything they stand for.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Absalom

Once great NBA???.........er, that musta been sometime in the 17th century?
The NBA was a Clown Show orchestrated by Jewish Entertainer Abe Saperstein
about a century past, featuring American Negros doing stunts and tricks w/a ball
to generate laughs, applause and ticket sales. Nothing has changed!!!

Offline goatprairie

Once great NBA???.........er, that musta been sometime in the 17th century?
The NBA was a Clown Show orchestrated by Jewish Entertainer Abe Saperstein
about a century past, featuring American Negros doing stunts and tricks w/a ball
to generate laughs, applause and ticket sales. Nothing has changed!!!
Obviously, you've never been a fan, so stop posting on things you know nothing about.

Offline Absalom

Obviously, you've never been a fan, so stop posting on things you know nothing about.
-------------------------
Agreed, as I've never been a fan of toddlerville shenanigans devoid of rhyme or rules.
As for posting, I insure I know what I'm talking about by referencing my comments in advance.
Suggest you try it before Christmas while getting off your pretentious high-horse!!!

Offline goatprairie

-------------------------
Agreed, as I've never been a fan of toddlerville shenanigans devoid of rhyme or rules.
As for posting, I insure I know what I'm talking about by referencing my comments in advance.
Suggest you try it before Christmas while getting off your pretentious high-horse!!!
"I insure I know what I'm talking about by referencing my comments in advance."

:whistle:

Offline Absalom

"I insure I know what I'm talking about by referencing my comments in advance."
----------------------------
Ok, it's quiet for a few moments, so lets play "basketball"?
One rule is that the ball must be bounced (dribbled not carried) up the court by the ball carrier; otherwise the violation is labeled "walking".
Another rule is that the ball may not be turned over in the hand by the ball carrier;
otherwise the violation is labeled carrying, "palming".
Ever heard of either rule???
Obviously basketball hasn't, as these core rules have been ignored since Saperstein
passed some 65 years ago!!!
P.S. any activity/sport that ignores it own rules has no integrity and is trash!!!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 01:12:40 am by Absalom »