Author Topic: Gov. DeSantis Signs Florida's ‘Anti-Riot' Bill Into Law  (Read 1840 times)

Online libertybele

This reminds me that conservatism isn't dead, otherwise we wouldn't see 1,000 people a day moving to Florida.  My fear is this migration will turn FL blue.

Gov. DeSantis Signs Florida's ‘Anti-Riot' Bill Into Law
"It is the strongest anti-rioting, pro-law enforcement piece of legislation in the country," DeSantis said

The governor began campaigning for the measure last year in response to protests over police violence against Black Americans. The nationwide protests first began after George Floyd's in-custody death on May 25.

And DeSantis signed the new bill into law as the country awaits a verdict in the murder trial of Floyd's accused killer, former Minneapolis officer Derek Chauvin.

DeSantis spoke of the trial at the signing on Monday.

“I don't know what's going to happen, but I can tell you that case was bungled by the attorney general there in Minnesota. They didn't handle it properly, so there may be some people disappointed,” he said.

Under the law, penalties will be enhanced for crimes committed during a riot or violent protest. It allows authorities to hold arrested protesters until a first court appearance. And it establishes new felonies for organizing or participating in a violent demonstration.

It also strips local governments of civil liability protections if they interfere with law enforcement’s efforts to respond to a violent protest and add language to state law that could force local governments to justify a reduction in law enforcement budgets.

DeSantis on Monday called efforts to defund police "an insane theory."............

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/gov-desantis-signs-floridas-anti-riot-bill-into-law/2431822/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8706685/Almost-1-000-people-Florida-day-coming-Northern-cities-amid-pandemic.html
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: Gov. DeSantis Signs Florida's ‘Anti-Riot' Bill Into Law
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 01:05:03 am »
The best part of this bill is the provision for hitting jackwagons blocking a roadway!.. 

The law grants civil immunity to people who drive into protesters who are blocking a road,
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 01:17:48 pm »
Smacks too much of "Martial Law Jr",to me.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online libertybele

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 09:41:04 pm »
Smacks too much of "Martial Law Jr",to me.

I thought about that as well @sneakypete  I haven't read the law in it's entirety, and though DeSantis is popular, can he be trusted? At this point in time,  I trust no one in government.  No one.

He also has given authority to the head of the Dept. of Health the authority to 'detain' or quarantine anyone whom they may feel is a health threat to the rest of the community.  That doesn't equal conservatism in my books; quite the opposite.

I haven't done so yet, but I really want to check into all the legislation he has signed into law.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 12:00:21 am »
I thought about that as well @sneakypete  I haven't read the law in it's entirety, and though DeSantis is popular, can he be trusted? At this point in time,  I trust no one in government.  No one.

He also has given authority to the head of the Dept. of Health the authority to 'detain' or quarantine anyone whom they may feel is a health threat to the rest of the community.  That doesn't equal conservatism in my books; quite the opposite.

I haven't done so yet, but I really want to check into all the legislation he has signed into law.

@libertybele

WOW! The reality is that gives the Dept of Health blanket approval to arrest anyone they want to arrest,with,or without reason.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 12:25:11 am »
@libertybele

WOW! The reality is that gives the Dept of Health blanket approval to arrest anyone they want to arrest,with,or without reason.

@sneakypete   If you feel that way  I have a suggestion.  Stay TF out of our state.

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2021, 12:34:09 am »
@sneakypete   If you feel that way  I have a suggestion.  Stay TF out of our state.

@Wingnut

WOW! I didn't realize you were so afraid you were willing to live in a state with no rights.

Online libertybele

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2021, 12:34:32 am »

@Wingnut I haven't read the actual bill, but from the synopsis I have read, it does authorize the Dept. of Health to mandate self-quarantine. So in the sense that isn't an actual arrest, it does give them permission to make people stay in their homes. I have questioned whether or not that authority also gives them the right to knock on your door and quarantine you in a facility.

I have a friend right now who tested positive for COVID and he has a 'mandatory' quarantine for 14 days. Granted he has to quarantine in his home, and many states require the same ... but I do see room for potential abuse in the future.

Online libertybele

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2021, 12:36:11 am »
@Wingnut

WOW! I didn't realize you were so afraid you were willing to live in a state with no rights.

???? I don't know what state you live in @sneakypete but right now FL is one of the most free states in the country.  We have 1,000 people moving into our state every day!

Online Wingnut

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2021, 12:38:17 am »
@Wingnut

WOW I didn't believe you, as a man dying from cancer you would  feel this way.   God bless your soul. 

Online libertybele

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2021, 12:42:08 am »
 :2popcorn:         

Online Wingnut

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2021, 12:43:06 am »
@Wingnut I haven't read the actual bill, but from the synopsis I have read, it does authorize the Dept. of Health to mandate self-quarantine. So in the sense that isn't an actual arrest, it does give them permission to make people stay in their homes. I have questioned whether or not that authority also gives them the right to knock on your door and quarantine you in a facility.

I have a friend right now who tested positive for COVID and he has a 'mandatory' quarantine for 14 days. Granted he has to quarantine in his home, and many states require the same ... but I do see room for potential abuse in the future.

Whatever.   Don't read into shit that is not there.

Online libertybele

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2021, 12:49:47 am »
Whatever.   Don't read into shit that is not there.

Whatever? Well, here is an article on DeSantis e.o. regarding this -- so, you can interpret how you see fit.  This e.o. does not sit well with me at all.

..........The authorizing law gives the state health officer the power to take whatever actions she or he deems necessary, including “ordering an individual to be examined, tested, vaccinated, treated, or quarantined for communicable diseases that ... present a severe danger to public health.”

Anyone who is unwilling to be vaccinated may be subject to quarantine, the law says. And if there is no practical way to quarantine that person, the State Health Officer “may use any means necessary to vaccinate or treat the individual.” That includes calling on law enforcement to help him carry out those duties.

(full article)
https://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/local/state/2020/11/23/florida-may-not-force-covid-vaccine-but-can-state-law-desantis-rivkees/6350516002/

« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 12:52:13 am by libertybele »

Online Wingnut

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2021, 12:52:52 am »

Whatever? Well, here is an article on DeSantis e.o. regarding this -- so, you can interpret how you see fit.

(full article)
https://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/local/state/2020/11/23/florida-may-not-force-covid-vaccine-but-can-state-law-desantis-rivkees/6350516002/

Seriously ...you believe that shit?

Online libertybele

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2021, 12:14:56 am »

Seriously ...you believe that shit?

Granted these day you can't believe everything that you read, but I trust know one in gov't. Notta. No one.

Online Wingnut

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2021, 12:20:38 am »
Granted these day you can't believe everything that you read, but I trust know one in gov't. Notta. No one.

You worry me.

Online libertybele

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2021, 12:33:25 am »
You worry me.

Worry more about people who actually trust the government and pat them on the back because they have an 'R' next to their name. That's why we have so many GOP politicians sitting in Congress with no integrity, no reliability and who aren't held accountable.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2021, 12:46:39 pm »
Andy Ngô
@MrAndyNgo
 Â· 9h
#Antifa groups in south Florida have organized a direct action in Miami for Saturday.

11:18 PM · Apr 22, 2021
"Komrades."  :silly:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2021, 01:43:14 pm »
"Komrades."  :silly:
@mountaineer

"Justice" for the fat girl with the Klingon name?

I thought she had already received justice?

Does she need to be shot again?

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2021, 02:40:39 pm »
I thought she had already received justice?
Pretty much. At this point, I suspect "justice" is $$$ for the family from which she was taken and put into foster care.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org