Author Topic: Rep. Burgess Owens: I ‘Actually Experienced Jim Crow,’ ‘Disgusting and Offensive to Compare’ It to G  (Read 252 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Rep. Burgess Owens: I ‘Actually Experienced Jim Crow,’ ‘Disgusting and Offensive to Compare’ It to Georgia Election Law

Robert Kraychik 20 Apr 2021

Rep. Burgess Owens (R-UT) said it was “disgusting and offensive” for Democrats — including President Joe Biden — to frame Georgia’s new election law as reminiscent of Jim Crow laws during his testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee’s hearing entitled, “Jim Crow 2021: The Latest Assault on the Right to Vote.”

Owens stated:

As someone who’s actually experienced Jim Crow laws, I’d like to set the record straight on the myth regarding the recently passed Georgia State law, and why any comparison between this law and Jim Crow is absolutely outrageous.

I’ll give you a few examples from my own life of what Jim Crow laws actually looked like.

At the age of 12, my father allowed me to participate in a demonstration with college students in front of the segregated Florida State Theater, where because of our color, we could not enter. I was the youngest participant there. Only 50 years later did I learn that my father parked across the street to watch and make sure I was safe.

In the seventh grade my school never received new books. Instead we received books from the all-white school across town.

At service stations, there were white-men-only restrooms, white-women-only restrooms, and a filthy restroom in the back of the station for black Americans designated as colored.

In addition, Jim Crow laws, like poll taxes, property tests, literacy tests, and violence and intimidation at the polls made in nearly impossible for black Americans to vote.

more
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2021/04/20/rep-burgess-owens-i-actually-experienced-jim-crow-disgusting-and-offensive-to-compare-it-to-georgia-election-law/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34