Author Topic: Two Dead in ‘Driverless’ Tesla Crash  (Read 1209 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Two Dead in ‘Driverless’ Tesla Crash
« on: April 19, 2021, 04:59:30 pm »

Lucas Nolan 19 Apr 2021

Two men have reportedly died after a Tesla vehicle, which is believed to have been operating without anyone in the driver’s seat, collided with a tree on Saturday night north of Houston.

Reuters reports that two men died on Saturday night north of Houston after a Tesla vehicle which was believed to be operating without anyone in the driver’s seat crashed into a tree. Sgt. Cinthya Umanzor of the Harris County Constable Precinct 4 said: “There was no one in the driver’s seat.”

The 2019 Tesla Model S vehicle was traveling a high rate of speed when it failed to correctly navigate a curve and left the roadway, crashing into a tree and exploding into flames, according to local television station KHOU-TV.

The fire was extinguished and authorities located two occupants in the vehicle. One was in the first passenger seat while the other was in the back seat of the Tesla, the report stated citing Harris County Precinct 4 Constable Mark Herman.

more
https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2021/04/19/two-dead-in-driverless-tesla-crash/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: Two Dead in ‘Driverless’ Tesla Crash
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 05:11:00 pm »
Darwin award winners.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

BassWrangler

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 05:11:18 pm »

Lucas Nolan 19 Apr 2021

Two men have reportedly died after a Tesla vehicle, which is believed to have been operating without anyone in the driver’s seat, collided with a tree on Saturday night north of Houston.

Reuters reports that two men died on Saturday night north of Houston after a Tesla vehicle which was believed to be operating without anyone in the driver’s seat crashed into a tree. Sgt. Cinthya Umanzor of the Harris County Constable Precinct 4 said: “There was no one in the driver’s seat.”

The 2019 Tesla Model S vehicle was traveling a high rate of speed when it failed to correctly navigate a curve and left the roadway, crashing into a tree and exploding into flames, according to local television station KHOU-TV.

The fire was extinguished and authorities located two occupants in the vehicle. One was in the first passenger seat while the other was in the back seat of the Tesla, the report stated citing Harris County Precinct 4 Constable Mark Herman.

more

Looks like we have some Darwin Award winners here. You have to defeat the check the Tesla software does to drive w/o someone in the driver's seat. Normally, if you have "AutoPilot" engaged, it requires you to exert force on the steering wheel. If it detects you aren't doing that, it warns (beeps) and eventually will pull the car over and stop.

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 05:16:47 pm »

That should buff right out with a little elbow grease.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 05:19:03 pm »

That should buff right out with a little elbow grease.
There are no Car-B-Q's like a Tesla Car-B-Q.    They are a crematorium.

BassWrangler

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 05:19:17 pm »
And as an owner of a Tesla with the FSD / AutoPilot feature, I can tell you it scares the living shit out of me on a regular basis. I use it sometimes, but I'm always 100% watching it. I consider it an extra safety mechanism on top of my driving not a replacement for my driving. In case I get distracted for a second, it's still in control. You have to be one major moron to defeat the safety mechanism and let it have 100% control.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2021, 05:22:21 pm »
Looks like we have some Darwin Award winners here. You have to defeat the check the Tesla software does to drive w/o someone in the driver's seat. Normally, if you have "AutoPilot" engaged, it requires you to exert force on the steering wheel. If it detects you aren't doing that, it warns (beeps) and eventually will pull the car over and stop.
Well, it 'pulled over and stopped' alright.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

BassWrangler

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2021, 05:23:06 pm »
Well, it 'pulled over and stopped' alright.

LOL, no, that's not how that works.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2021, 05:24:11 pm »
Mebbe that isn't how it was intended to work, but it stopped...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2021, 05:25:17 pm »

Why does that Lynyrd Skynyrd song keep popping into my head after reading this story?

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2021, 05:48:35 pm »
If I understand it correctly, auto-pilot systems like that are based on recognizing and reacting to road and traffic conditions. If the car doesn't recognize the road conditions and the driver doesn't take over, disaster can happen - such as happened several years ago in a deadly crash in Mountain View. In the Houston crash the auto-pilot system probably did not recognize the sharpness of the curve (or that there was a curve). When lithium batteries catch fire it gets nasty.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

BassWrangler

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2021, 06:21:11 pm »
If I understand it correctly, auto-pilot systems like that are based on recognizing and reacting to road and traffic conditions. If the car doesn't recognize the road conditions and the driver doesn't take over, disaster can happen - such as happened several years ago in a deadly crash in Mountain View. In the Houston crash the auto-pilot system probably did not recognize the sharpness of the curve (or that there was a curve). When lithium batteries catch fire it gets nasty.

The car itself (Tesla Model 3) has won awards for safety - consistently beating ICE vehicles. Just like a car with a ICE, if it catches fire, it's going to burn.

The AutoPilot feature uses front-facing radar and a number of cameras to keep the car centered in the lane and to avoid running into the car in front if it slows down. It can also recognize a number of objects like traffic cones and barrels, signage on the side of the road and painted on the road, traffic lights, etc. But the system is designed to be used always with a driver monitoring and ready to assume control at any point. It's just like cruise control in that you can't just turn it on and ignore the road.

As far as avoiding obstacles and keeping the car in the lane, it's really fantastic. It does like to take curves faster than I personally would take them, and that makes me nervous sometimes, but I am a very cautious driver. It's great for lane changes on the highway - I just hit my blinker, and I look too, but it's an extra level of safety having the car choose a safe time to do the lane change and then execute it. It's good also at watching traffic merging into the highway and avoiding a conflict. My biggest issue with it is that it infrequently does this "phantom braking" where it thinks there is some reason to slow down and so it does that, sometimes quite assertively, on the road. I've had to tap the accelerator when it did that out of concern that some following car might rear end me.

The Tesla fan-boys disagree with me on this, but I don't think it's anywhere even remotely close to a fully autonomous driving system. I don't see cars being able to do that until they have higher order cognition. They use simulated neural nets that work in a way modeled after the visual cortex in humans. Those are great at pattern recognition, but they have no higher level thought process. Even if that's only needed 0.0001% of the time, it's still needed, and not having it is likely going to make people not comfortable to use the system - even if it has an overall safety rating better than a human.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 06:25:36 pm by BassWrangler »

Offline berdie

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2021, 10:07:00 pm »
Well, drat. I was hoping that these cars would come in and save the day when I got too old to drive. You know, just get in and talk to it like a person talks to Alexa...Take me to the store. Take me to the doctor. Etc.

Since this doesn't appear to be the case I guess I'll just save the money it would cost to buy one of these beauties.

BassWrangler

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2021, 10:11:17 pm »
Well, drat. I was hoping that these cars would come in and save the day when I got too old to drive. You know, just get in and talk to it like a person talks to Alexa...Take me to the store. Take me to the doctor. Etc.

Since this doesn't appear to be the case I guess I'll just save the money it would cost to buy one of these beauties.

As I said before, many people disagree with me, but I think this particular technology is 10 years out. That said, the technology to warn the driver about potential issues is here now, and it works great. And you don't need a $40,000+ Tesla to get that.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2021, 10:13:54 pm »

Won't be too long and they'll be able to do that. It's just a little too early on in the technology phase. But just think of how far it's gone since its inception.
Patience.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2021, 10:15:52 pm »
Why does that Lynyrd Skynyrd song keep popping into my head after reading this story?

Can't you smell that smell?  The Smell of burning batteries around you.......
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2021, 10:21:45 pm »

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2021, 11:41:53 pm »
Can't you smell that smell?  The Smell of burning batteries around you.......

:silly: :silly: 888high58888   Or Oak Tree get out of my Tesla's wa,y!!!!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 11:42:55 pm by Wingnut »

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2021, 01:27:22 am »
Here's a safety feature I should patent before Tesla thinks of it:   

Car does not start if there is less than 65 pounds in the driver's seat.   That's the weight on my passenger seat that my forward sitting husky is always turning the passenger-side airbag with, and the seat-belt alarm.

I've always wondered about the motivations of the jurisdictions that want to promote self-steering vehicles...how much ticket revenue are they going to lose when their goal is achieved?  I suspect those legislators are too stupid to think that far ahead.

How much money are the lawyers going to lose when the self-driving car is the victim of a squat-and-stop insurance fraud game?  "You can't sue me, I wasn't driving..."
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2021, 01:44:39 am »
I’m seeing Teslas all the time when I go out. My apartment complex just put in an electric charging station because of the demand,

I’ve never actually been inside one, but I’ve peered into neighbors and they don’t look like anything more special than any other car.

I’ll wait for my Jetsons flying car, thank you. 
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2021, 01:57:29 am »

Lucas Nolan 19 Apr 2021

more

Not the first deaths.  A guy on a bicycle.  I don't trust these kind of cars.  GLITCH? 

BassWrangler

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2021, 02:40:29 am »
I’m seeing Teslas all the time when I go out. My apartment complex just put in an electric charging station because of the demand,

I’ve never actually been inside one, but I’ve peered into neighbors and they don’t look like anything more special than any other car.

I’ll wait for my Jetsons flying car, thank you.

I've been waiting for those most of my life.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2021, 04:26:10 pm »
Texas police investigating Elon Musk's claim over fatal Tesla crash

A Tesla vehicle went off the road and hit a tree in the Houston area on Saturday, causing the car to burst into flames and leaving two men dead.

Story at a glance

Police in Harris County said the position of the bodies in the wreck appeared to indicate that no one was in the driver’s seat of the Model S at the time of the accident.
    Authorities are investigating whether the car’s advanced Autopilot driver assistance system was activated at the time.
    Tesla CEO Elon Musk on Monday tweeted that data logs showed the car wasn’t running on Autopilot and was not equipped with the automaker’s beta semi-automated driver assistance system dubbed Full Self-Driving.

more
https://thehill.com/changing-america/sustainability/energy/549199-texas-police-investigating-elon-musks-claim-over-fatal
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

BassWrangler

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2021, 07:31:14 pm »
Texas police investigating Elon Musk's claim over fatal Tesla crash

A Tesla vehicle went off the road and hit a tree in the Houston area on Saturday, causing the car to burst into flames and leaving two men dead.

Story at a glance

Police in Harris County said the position of the bodies in the wreck appeared to indicate that no one was in the driver’s seat of the Model S at the time of the accident.
    Authorities are investigating whether the car’s advanced Autopilot driver assistance system was activated at the time.
    Tesla CEO Elon Musk on Monday tweeted that data logs showed the car wasn’t running on Autopilot and was not equipped with the automaker’s beta semi-automated driver assistance system dubbed Full Self-Driving.

more
https://thehill.com/changing-america/sustainability/energy/549199-texas-police-investigating-elon-musks-claim-over-fatal

My guess is the police are just wrong about where the bodies were at the time of the wreck.

Offline thackney

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2021, 07:39:36 pm »
My guess is the police are just wrong about where the bodies were at the time of the wreck.

Could the driver climb in the back seat without engaging the Autopilot?  Only on cruise control?

Drunk and stupid allows for a lot of senarios.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer