Author Topic: Indian Point is shut down. This means more fossil fuels.  (Read 475 times)

rangerrebew

Indian Point is shut down. This means more fossil fuels.
« on: April 19, 2021, 02:53:19 pm »

Indian Point is shut down. This means more fossil fuels.
April 12, 2021
Home Science

For most of his long political career, Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo launched an attack against threats to operate a nuclear power plant just 25 miles from New York City, stating that the proximity of such a densely populated metropolis “destroyed the basic conscience.”

But now, preparations are being made to close the plant, and New York is struggling with adverse effects. Another of Mr. Kyomo’s ambitious goals would be to rapidly reduce the state’s dependence on fossil fuels.

Until now, most of the electricity produced by the nuclear plant, known as Indian Point, has been replaced by electricity replaced by natural gas-burning plants and emits more pollution. The trade will stop after the last reactor at Indian Point closes on April 30.

https://www.anandmarket.in/indian-point-is-shut-down-this-means-more-fossil-fuels/

Offline Joe Wooten

Re: Indian Point is shut down. This means more fossil fuels.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 09:24:07 pm »
NY voters are going to get what they deserve. Let 'em freeze in the dark depending on windmills and PV panels

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 09:57:58 pm »
A fairly large gas-powered generation plant named Cricket Valley was completed recently adjacent to Rt. 22 south of Dover Plains (NY). It's going to take up some of the capacity lost at Indian Point, but not all of it...

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 01:47:43 am »
NYC will keep the lights on, the upper part of the state that still votes American will not.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 03:51:58 am »
The State that banned fraccing and would not allow a pipeline for Natural Gas wants to use Natural Gas generated power?  :silly:

I think we should keep all that for the Midwest.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 05:58:20 am »
The State that banned fraccing and would not allow a pipeline for Natural Gas wants to use Natural Gas generated power?  :silly:

I think we should keep all that for the Midwest.
Almost as funny as all the liberals demanding that internal combustion engines be banned because.......fossil fuels and have them replaced with electric vehicles because they are green, even though realistically almost all of the electricity generated to recharge them comes from fossil fuels.