Author Topic: Joe Biden Explores Canceling Federal Student Debt Without Congress  (Read 354 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Joe Biden Explores Canceling Federal Student Debt Without Congress

Charlie Spiering 19 Apr 2021

President Joe Biden is currently exploring the idea of canceling federal student loan debt, awaiting memos on how much he can do legally.

The Biden White House tasked Secretary of Education Miguel Cardona to explore the issue, effectively stalling immediate action on the issue as activists increasingly push for him cancel the debt.
White House chief of staff Ron Klain said Biden has not made a decision on the issue either way, as he is waiting for the policy memos.

“Hopefully we’ll see that in the next few weeks, and then he’ll look at that legal authority; he’ll look at the policy issues around that and he’ll make a decision,” Klain said in an April 1 interview with Politico.

In February, Biden opposed the idea of canceling $50,000 in debt during a CNN town hall.

“I will not make that happen,” he said to a questioner at the event.

But Biden expressed support for the idea of $10,000 in student debt forgiveness.

“I’m prepared to write off a $10,000 debt, but not 50,” he said. “Because I don’t think I have the authority to do it by signing the pen.”

Biden also spoke about canceling student debt for school teachers or volunteer activity.

But activists in favor of canceling $50,000 in student debt per person, such as Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA), continue pushing Biden to take action.

more
https://www.breitbart.com/education/2021/04/19/joe-biden-explores-canceling-federal-student-debt-congress/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
Re: Joe Biden Explores Canceling Federal Student Debt Without Congress
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 01:07:05 am »
He does not have power to do this.  If he did, it would be an impeachable act!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 04:11:20 am »
He does not have power to do this.  If he did, it would be an impeachable act!
Modern (Democrat) jurisprudence seems to think it's only a crime if someone will charge you.

I fully agree that the POTUS does not have the power to unilaterally cancel contracts between third parties.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 04:43:24 am »
“I’m prepared to write off a $10,000 debt, but not 50,” he said. “Because I don’t think I have the authority to do it by signing the pen.”

If you don't have the authority to write off $50k, then you don't have the authority to write off $10k.  But then doing things legally has never been a concern for Joe Biden.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-