Author Topic: ‘I’ll Believe It When I See It’: 5 Afghan War Veterans React to Leaving Afghanistan  (Read 238 times)

rangerrebew

‘I’ll Believe It When I See It’: 5 Afghan War Veterans React to Leaving Afghanistan
Vets   

By James R. Webb | April 16, 2021

On Wednesday President Joe Biden announced that the US would fully withdraw from Afghanistan no later than Sept. 11, 2021 — the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks.

For nearly a decade, three successive presidential administrations have been grappling with how exactly to end America’s longest war. Each time a plan is announced, the end date comes and goes with Americans still deploying, fighting, killing, and dying.

First, in 2011 then-President Barack Obama announced that his administration would begin removing US troops at the end of the 2012 “fighting season,” fully hand over combat operations to the Afghans by 2013, and fully end America’s involvement by the end of 2014. Ultimately, this resulted in an open-ended agreement under which US troops would remain in the country until at least 2024.

https://coffeeordie.com/afghan-veterans-react-withdraw/