Author Topic: Out Behind The Barn  (Read 120 times)

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Out Behind The Barn
« on: April 14, 2021, 03:30:49 pm »
Out Behind The Barn

As I listen to pandemic program managers spouting COVID-19 bromides and watch their efforts to rush people into getting vaccinated, I’m transported back to the little mixed farm in Alberta, Canada, where I grew up. I saw the COVID-19 playbook in action over sixty years ago in barns and fields, but particularly the corrals, out behind the barn.

In retrospect, it was a proverbial subsistence farm. Dad milked a small herd of dairy cows and sold raw milk in eight-gallon cans to the Dairy Pool. That bought groceries. He raised hogs to market size, generating farm revenue. The three-hundred twenty acres of fields were used to grow hay for cattle feed, barley to be ground into pig “chop” and oats to be rolled (crushed) for dairy cows. Hens laid eggs before graduating to a featured spot on the dinner table.

It took me a lot of years to realize that ours was indeed a “subsistence” farm, and more years to openly accept it. The term “subsistence farm” has a whiff of back-woodsiness to it. Now late in life, I’m proud of the heritage received in that time and place. I wouldn’t trade the priceless life principles I was learned there for a graduate program in the toniest university or college, nor would I trade the gift of having a father with work-thickened fingers, a generous heart, and wisdom far, far beyond his schooling. I’m a fortunate man.

Each fall we brought the cows — thirty-five or so — and their calves from the summer pasture, to the “home place: where they would be fed and wintered.

excerpt, rest at link above
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online roamer_1

Re: Out Behind The Barn
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 04:24:16 pm »
That part you quoted is dang well right - And the rest of the article too.  :beer:

We are a week or two away from letting the cows up out of their paddocks... And what a great time that is. They been standing around eating hay all winter, and as I am sure you know, when you let em out to the pasture for the first time in the spring, it is a joy to see... Them all kicking up their heels and dancing around... And getting into that new tender grass. It is a sight to see. One of my favorite things.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Out Behind The Barn
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 04:28:05 pm »
That part you quoted is dang well right - And the rest of the article too.  :beer:

We are a week or two away from letting the cows up out of their paddocks... And what a great time that is. They been standing around eating hay all winter, and as I am sure you know, when you let em out to the pasture for the first time in the spring, it is a joy to see... Them all kicking up their heels and dancing around... And getting into that new tender grass. It is a sight to see. One of my favorite things.

:yowsa:  :beer:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien