Author Topic: US Supreme Court: Gun Licensing Fees Are Unconstitutional  (Read 2200 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: US Supreme Court: Gun Licensing Fees Are Unconstitutional
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2021, 10:07:01 am »
And the government had what Constitutional authority to seize ownership of the electromagnetic spectrum?

Nobody disagrees with the mandatory licensing of motor-vehicle operators.   It's a safety issue.   That does not apply to the radio waves.  What should have happened, in a free society, was that the government would have expanded patent protections to operators who developed and exploited radio band-width, within the effective range of the transmitters.  The patent holders would have rights to exclusive use of that bandwidth, rights that could be sold and traded on the open market.

In other words, someone operating WKRP out of Cincinatti would have sole right to that frequency in that area, and the regulations would have restricted other use in that area, punishing radio piracy.    As the technology developed, so too would the laws.   

Blanket seizure of the entire spectrum was not an authority the Congress held from the  Constitution.  Radio is not "interstate commerce".   It's covered by the First Amendment.

@Sled Dog

GREAT post! Can't disagree with a word of it.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2021, 10:12:28 am »
No, 1934 was the year the NFA passed. Miller was in 1939, and was decideed more or less by default, considering the defendant had passed away and no arguments were made.

Talk about missed opportunity, the attorney could have pleaded and SCOTUS overturned the NFA if they had done reasonably well, and saved Americans from being saddled with innumerable laws and infringements on their civil rights in the meantime.

@Smokin Joe

You can't possibly believe that King Franklin lost any sleep over that one. He did everything he could do,both legal and illegal to destroy America. We got lucky,and the SOB died before he could destroy us as a free and independent nation.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2021, 10:16:56 am »
How about a right granted by God. The right to defend ourselves, provide food for the table, and protect ourselves from an overzealous government.

@Sighlass "

Yew wunna doze commie-pinko peeple what thinks dey got rights?

Weezea awatchin  yew!

"overzealous goverment"!

Why ah nevah!

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2021, 08:02:50 pm »
@Sled Dog

GREAT post! Can't disagree with a word of it.

As I recall, I read the basic premise in "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal" by Ayn Rand.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2021, 08:05:48 pm »
No, 1934 was the year the NFA passed. Miller was in 1939, and was decideed more or less by default, considering the defendant had passed away and no arguments were made.

Talk about missed opportunity, the attorney could have pleaded and SCOTUS overturned the NFA if they had done reasonably well, and saved Americans from being saddled with innumerable laws and infringements on their civil rights in the meantime.

Thx.  I admit to never having a good head for dates, and that isn't getting any better as I get older.

Next on the agenda, someone explaining how all the other Amendments get incorporated automatically into the states but not the Second.   
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2021, 08:13:29 pm »
Thx.  I admit to never having a good head for dates, and that isn't getting any better as I get older.

Next on the agenda, someone explaining how all the other Amendments get incorporated automatically into the states but not the Second.
..and how "...the Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms..." somehow became a right held by "militias" instead of individuals.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Hoodat

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2021, 09:06:29 pm »
..and how "...the Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms..." somehow became a right held by "militias" instead of individuals.

And how "shall not be infringed" somehow became "shall be infringed as we deem fit".
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2021, 10:49:26 am »
And how "shall not be infringed" somehow became "shall be infringed as we deem fit".
It's odd how those who impose infringements they themselves are exempted from see no problem with the effects you suffer. That is part of the pervasive rhetorical poison in calling our employees a "ruling class".
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis