Author Topic: Businesses & Investors Call for Ambitious U.S. NDC ("Climate Action")  (Read 570 times)

Offline mountaineer

Businesses & Investors Call for Ambitious U.S. NDC
310 businesses and investors with a footprint in the United States have signed a powerful open letter to President Biden indicating their support for the Biden administration’s commitment to climate action, and for setting a federal climate target to reduce emissions.

The letter was published as the world awaits the Biden administration’s announcement of a 2030 emissions reduction target, or Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC) pursuant to the Paris Agreement, in the lead-up to the Leaders Summit on Climate.  ...

Press release:
April 13, 2021
310 Businesses and Investors Support U.S. Federal Climate Target in Open Letter to President Biden
From the We Mean Business coalition and Ceres

Signatories represent over $3 trillion in annual revenue and over $1 trillion in assets under management
    Read the open letter to President Biden.

April 13, 2021 — 310 businesses and investors with a footprint in the U.S. signed an open letter to President Biden indicating their support for the Biden administration’s commitment to climate action, and for setting a federal climate target to reduce emissions. The letter was organized and published by the We Mean Business coalition and Ceres today.

An excerpt from the letter states, “To restore the standing of the U.S. as a global leader, we need to address the climate crisis at the pace and scale it demands. Specifically, the U.S. must adopt an emissions reduction target that will place the country on a credible pathway to reach net-zero emissions by 2050. We, therefore, call on you to adopt the ambitious and attainable target of cutting GHG emissions by at least 50% below 2005 levels by 2030.”

The letter demonstrates the U.S. business and investor communities’ strong support for a highly ambitious 2030 emissions reduction target, or Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC) pursuant to the Paris Agreement, in pursuit of reaching net-zero emissions by 2050. Latest climate modeling shows that at least halving emissions by 2030 is achievable, and provides strong economic benefits. The Biden administration is expected to announce its NDC prior to the Leaders Summit on Climate.

Business signatories of the letter collectively represent over $3 trillion in annual revenue and employ nearly 6 million U.S. workers across all 50 states. They range in size from small- and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) to large multinational corporations, and represent a number of industries.

Business signatories include Apple; Ben & Jerry’s Homemade, Inc.; BT Americas; Boston Consulting Group; Burton; the Coca-Cola Company; Danone North America; DSM North America; Edison International; Etsy; Facebook; Gap Inc.; General Electric; Google; H&M; Hewlett Packard Enterprise; HP Inc.; IKEA Retail U.S.; Impossible Foods Inc.; Interface; JLL; Johnson & Johnson; Keap Candles; Kellogg Company; LafargeHolcim; Levi Strauss & Co.; Lyft, Inc.; MARS; Mastercard; McDonald’s Corporation; Microsoft; National Grid; Natura & Co; New Belgium Brewing; Nestlé; Nike; Novozymes North America; Ørsted North America; Ralph Lauren Corporation; Salesforce; SAP SE; Schneider Electric; Seventh Generation; Siemens; Solvay; Starbucks; Stonyfield Organic; Tiffany & Co; Unilever; Verizon; VF Corporation; and Walmart, among others.

Investor signatories of the letter collectively represent more than $1 trillion in assets under management and include CalSTRS, the New York State Comptroller, the New York City Comptroller and the California State Controller’s Office, among others.

“The U.S. business community is committed to doing its part to reduce emissions because it is good for the economy and helps us build back better. Companies want to work with the Biden administration toward a better future for all,” said María Mendiluce, CEO of the We Mean Business coalition. “I applaud businesses and investors for raising their voices in support of at least halving U.S. emissions by 2030. This is what the climate crisis requires, and will strengthen the country’s competitiveness and create more good jobs.”

“A strong national emissions reduction target is just what we need to catalyze a net-zero emissions future and build back a more equitable and inclusive economy,” said Anne Kelly, vice president of government relations at Ceres. “Businesses of all sizes recognize that reducing emissions is vital to keeping the U.S. competitive, and protecting the health and well-being of people and the planet. By setting a strong target, the Biden administration can ensure the U.S. is ready to return to its role as a global climate leader and spur further action from the private sector.”

This open letter was generously supported by the effort of the We Mean Business coalition partners, which include BSR, CDP, Ceres, The B Team, The Climate Group, The Prince of Wales’s Corporate Leaders Group and the World Business Council for Sustainable Development, and supporting partners, including America Is All In, E2, the Environmental Defense Fund, The Nature Conservancy and World Wildlife Fund.

About We Mean Business
We Mean Business is a global coalition of nonprofit organizations working with the world’s most influential businesses to take action on climate change. The coalition brings together seven organizations: BSR, CDP, Ceres, The B Team, The Climate Group, The Prince of Wales’s Corporate Leaders Group and the World Business Council for Sustainable Development. Together we catalyze business action to drive policy ambition and accelerate the transition to a zero-carbon economy. Find out more at wemeanbusinesscoaltion.org. ...
... From "We Mean Business Coalition"
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

Re: Businesses & Investors Call for Ambitious U.S. NDC ("Climate Action")
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 01:22:11 pm »
Steve Milloy
@JunkScience
8m
Here is the list of 300 business calling on Joe Biden to implement the Green New Deal at a 50% level.
If you can make them pay for their hypocritical and plain stupid advocacy of communism -- i.e., take your business elsewhere -- do it.

These are communist front groups who organized the Big Business letter calling on Biden to implement the Green New Deal at a 50% level.
9:11 AM · Apr 13, 2021·

Full list of companies here.

Online LMAO

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 03:09:59 pm »
 These businesses could care  less about the climate

But they do know more regulations makes it hard for smaller competitors to form to compete against them
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 04:36:50 pm »
These businesses could care  less about the climate

But they do know more regulations makes it hard for smaller competitors to form to compete against them

:thumbsup:
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 04:49:08 pm »
Cui Bono?

Offline mountaineer

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 10:04:02 pm »
Been reading blurps that Biden is wanting to set up a commission which have the intent of being a "Climate Change Confessional" to disclose (cough cough!!) past sins against the environment.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.